Tomorrow Morning I get DN Installed

You still using them ?
I finally got rid of them around 18 months ago around the time they really got into major throttling of dloads speeds. Talk about lacking capacity it really got ugly when I was there.

The Starband dish is currently being used to receive FTA audio channels.

It seems as you had a better experience with the Dish installer than I did.
How many appointments does it take? - DBSTalk.Com

I ended up pulling two cables inside for the two receivers for the installer. The installer would not set up the connections in the home run box like I wanted, so I had to do that after he left. I knew from reading the forums that I could modulate both receivers to different channels and receive them at any TV in the house. He didn't think it would work...shows how much he knows.

Now I need to make sure my DPP44 is grounded properly. I'm thinking he grounded the dishes to the multi-switch only.

Connectors are no longer required to have weather protection such as weather boots. They USED to be mandatory, but Dish said they did a study which showed they didn't really make a difference with a properly torqued connector.

However, I would definitely silicon your cable entrance.

Really? According to DISH, around here in Arizona, it rains even inside the weatherproof enclosures mounted on most homes. :rolleyes:

Really? According to DISH, around here in Arizona, it rains even inside the weatherproof enclosures mounted on most homes. :rolleyes:

This is why I want to mount the DPP44 switch inside and seal all the outside connections ASAP.

What would be the best way to ground the DPP44 switch if mounted inside?

This is why I want to mount the DPP44 switch inside and seal all the outside connections ASAP.

What would be the best way to ground the DPP44 switch if mounted inside?

The system should be grounded before it enters the home. A #17 copper-coated steel wire from the dish or a #10 copper wire from the dish to the house electrical ground. Also, a ground block on each line coming from the dishes and grounded using #10 copper (less than 20' long) wire to the house electrical ground rod. If the distance to ground is greater than 20', either re-route your coax to pass near the electrical ground and place the blocks there or drive an 8' ground rod near your ground block and run #6 copper wire from that rod to the main house ground rod. Connect the #10 from the blocks to this new rod if you go that route.

EDIT: From your pictures, it appears you are close enough to your house electrical ground as it should be near your power meter. Looks likes its on the same side as where the DPP44 switch is currently. You can probably use that splice point for the ground blocks so you won't have to replace the dish wires.

It's a good thing you don't live in my DMA, we are not allowed to mount to living areas on roofs anymore. You would probaly have been set up for a pole mount, and from those pics that install should have only taken an hour or so. To be honest after seeing some crappy contractor work, i'm very suprised he didn't zip tie the switch to the mount and run one line in. Just goes to show, what happens when you have no QAS in your area.

Sorta funny. Dish made such a big deal about the weather boots being mandatory and then, poof, one day, "fuhgetta bout'em".

I could be wrong, but may have been "save a penny here, save a penny there" cost-cutting measure.

Well it looks like you got a nice hack job there. 4 single coax lines with no messanger wire to ground the dish. If he would have used two dual feeds it would look much better, and he could have grounded the dish.

I can't see the entry point your picture is not working, but from the other pictures if I had to place the dish where it is, I would have used the dual rg-6 lines down to a point close to the entry point and placed my ground block there. I would have run Dual RG-6 into your central location and placed the DPP-44 there. A ground wire would have been run from the GB to your house ground at the outside power meter. Sounds like the installer was a real winner if he can't even get a single line into that basement.

Omg now I can see all your pictures. Call Dish and get someone out there that knows how to install. That is just sad. I am suprised you have good signal.

It's a good thing you don't live in my DMA, we are not allowed to mount to living areas on roofs anymore. You would probaly have been set up for a pole mount, and from those pics that install should have only taken an hour or so. To be honest after seeing some crappy contractor work, i'm very suprised he didn't zip tie the switch to the mount and run one line in. Just goes to show, what happens when you have no QAS in your area.
"It's a good thing you don't live in my DMA, we are not allowed to mount to living areas on roofs anymore."

I must ask..Who made themselves God of satellite antenna placement and came up with that nonsense?...Should it not be up to the homewoner what part their home they will allow the dish to be mounted?

"It's a good thing you don't live in my DMA, we are not allowed to mount to living areas on roofs anymore."

I must ask..Who made themselves God of satellite antenna placement and came up with that nonsense?...Should it not be up to the homewoner what part their home they will allow the dish to be mounted?

Probably too many idiot techs that weren't sealing up the dishes proper was leading to DISH buying too many roofs so they banned the practice altogether.

I avoid mounting on roofs as much as possible. If I must I try to stay near the eave where hopefully any damage would be limited to just OSB and shingles. I tar it too, using 30 year warranty hole repair tar. I picked up a few things from a roofing guy that I subbed to fix my roof after installing a new 3' vent stack on a bathroom remodel.

*adds tar to shopping list* :) Always meant to get some to go with my pitch-patch and silicone. Regardless, roof mounts are an absolute last resort for me; the customer has to tell me they want it on the roof as well as sign a release of liability for the RSP.

Also, I've been out of it for a while. When did Dish switches become an NEC-approved grounding point? I only ground cable and dishes with approved grounding blocks.

Last edited:
Probably too many idiot techs that weren't sealing up the dishes proper was leading to DISH buying too many roofs so they banned the practice altogether.

I avoid mounting on roofs as much as possible. If I must I try to stay near the eave where hopefully any damage would be limited to just OSB and shingles. I tar it too, using 30 year warranty hole repair tar. I picked up a few things from a roofing guy that I subbed to fix my roof after installing a new 3' vent stack on a bathroom remodel.
yep.. i know what ya mean...I see some guys using "Bishop tape"..It's real pricey though..$150 for 50 feet...They cut little pieces off the roll and place it under the holes where the lag bolts will go thru. I just don't trust it.. I use good old 50 year G/E silicone..Never had a leak in 10 years( sound of me knocking on wood) I try to mount on the roof over non living areas as well... Pole mounts cost too much to do them exclusively. And we ( DNSC rules)are not permitted to charge extra for a "standard pole mount"..SO I do poles only If I must..

You should really see how things are ran in the KC area..lol We need FSM's premission (which we never get) to mount on living areas, we have to try for non living areas. To make it worse, we have to grd every apartment install as well which as i'm sure u all know it's not very easy.

You should really see how things are ran in the KC area..lol We need FSM's premission (which we never get) to mount on living areas, we have to try for non living areas. To make it worse, we have to grd every apartment install as well which as i'm sure u all know it's not very easy.[/QUOTEIn the event the FSM declines the over-the-living-area placement. Then what? You blow off the job?.. I work for a DNSC contractor. We are in touch with the GM of the local DNS office. The standing procedure is "get the jobs done". No limits on where a dish can be placed. Roof, pole, ect...Doesn't matter. Apartment jobs are not QC'd...An absence of a suitable ground is no excuse to leave the job undone. The customer signs off on the no-ground and is advised this could be risky. Notes are added to the account indicating the lack of a NEC ground.
Some apartment comlexes actually prohibit using the building's electrical ground...Can ya believe that?
The criteria that prevent apartment installs are: No free standing (tripod ,bucket) mounts. Limited placement choices creating LOS issues..Otherwise, they get done..
This roof issue seems to vary from place to place. I don't understand why in certain areas DNSC offices are choosing ot ignore Dish protocol for roof mounts and putting a virtual ban on them.I'd hate to be at the meeting with the head honcho when he asks why completion numbers don't look so good..I would hate t be the one to have to explain that..
"Oh yeah. We're not dong jobs because of LOS issues. I am summarily refusing to allow my techs to mount a dish to a roof above the living area. I realize that limits install options but I am looking at the potential problems a rof mount can create. yes I realize I could take the time to properly train my people to seal roof mounts. But I don't have time to do all that"...
Now look at the abpove scenario..If you were the DNSC office GM's boss and the GM told you what is in quotes above, what would your reaction be?

I was a former QAS, and i will tell you we do get checked on apt installs. Doing an install like the pics shown above, would have been a write up for sure. Just remember one thing, a DNS In House Tech and a Contractor for dish are two totally different things.

I was a former QAS, and i will tell you we do get checked on apt installs. Doing an install like the pics shown above, would have been a write up for sure. Just remember one thing, a DNS In House Tech and a Contractor for dish are two totally different things.
We go by the same rules as the DNSC guys.
The directive to get the apartments done was from the DNSC GM himself. He stated that apartments are what they are and the possibility of getting a suitable ground is nearly impossible to find. If we stuck to the letter of the book, we'd never get an apartment done and that would upset the apple cart. The numbers would suffer and completion rate is the number one concern.

We go by the same rules as the DNSC guys.
The directive to get the apartments done was from the DNSC GM himself. He stated that apartments are what they are and the possibility of getting a suitable ground is nearly impossible to find. If we stuck to the letter of the book, we'd never get an apartment done and that would upset the apple cart. The numbers would suffer and completion rate is the number one concern.

If SUBS did go by the same rules as i do, i wouldn't see the crap work that i see on these forums. Not saying you don't do good work, just to many crappy Subs in Kansas i guess.

In the time I did DISH fulfillment, the worst jobs were either a select few contractors or all inhouse. When I did fulfillment, I would dread getting a work order that showed an inhouse tech as being last out there.

Damn grey cable still gives me nightmares.

I am wondering if a person could possibly start a business by redoing crappy installs such as the one I experienced last weekend? Would Dish Network / DirecTV allow this or would they even care?

I am wondering if a person could possibly start a business by redoing crappy installs such as the one I experienced last weekend? Would Dish Network / DirecTV allow this or would they even care?

That would be between you and the customer. Neither service would be involved. Of course, don't expect either of them to warranty any work you do if it isn't on their behalf. I've done this before and told the customers they can attempt to get credit on their bill for the outside repair. Just have some before and after pictures for documentation. I know of one instance where winback gave the customer a $150 credit on their bill which helped offset the $225 bill I gave the sub.