Tom's excellent install adventure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
My understanding is that back-bonding or a supplemental ground is my only choice here. The wall that this is mounted on is the garage and there isn't an existing (exposed) grounding source within 20'
View attachment 92545
The service ground is original, 1976
View attachment 92546

Joe, I assumed the ground block would be located up near the dish and ONLY the #10 ground wire would come down to the ground rod. Is that not the case?
View attachment 92547

Tom,
It is the other way around. The ground block is wanted close to the ground bond. The cable AND the ground wire run from the dish to the ground block. A service loop is made from the cable...but not the ground wire...and all are connected to the ground block. This is for static discharge before entering the building system.It is NOT lightning protection.

I have seen ground blocks at the dish. The reason for this is the installer assembled and wired the dish in advance of arrival. He could take the dish up ther ladder and mount it on the mast without working on the ladder. The ground block is also a good multiple connector.

See the drawings BROE posted.

HAVING LOOKED AT YOUR PLAN VIEW...........As an installer I would put the dish on the garage.The SAT line would run down to the ground bond / ground block. From there regular cable would wrap the building (neatly tacked) and enter the rooms where service was needed. Cable can be run under the first floor & brought up from a crawlspace or run through an attic area. The Phase III location looks like a road crew deal. It has worked fine for years but has never been grounded. Now is your chance to fix it.....without back bonding.............pretty sure those back bond rods go every 10 feet .............so go x8 for your cost.

Good job on hanging the dish.......know that many jobs are not ever grounded and work fine.

Joe

Last edited:
Thanks Joe, the ground block close to the ground bond makes sense.

What is normally run from the dish to the ground block, single or dual coax? (for SWiM)

Thanks Joe, the ground block close to the ground bond makes sense. What is normally run from the dish to the ground block, single or dual coax? (for SWiM)
single with ground. It's a single coax with a copper messenger wire attached to it

Thanks Joe, the ground block close to the ground bond makes sense.

What is normally run from the dish to the ground block, single or dual coax? (for SWiM)

Hutch has it pretty correct,

The SWiM designation answers the question; that is, Single Wire Multiswitch (SWiM). Just one wire from the LNB to the first receiver. A PI (Power Inserter) is added somewhere in the mix.
Also there is single or double RG6 w/ ground........and that can be copper............ Messenger is a bonded on wire used mostly by the cable companies to suspend their aerial drops. Messenger is steel and very strong. I used it to tie my ladders to my ladder rack ...&..have pulled vehicles our of mud with the stuff. The products are used interchangably but the copper grouind is not nearly as strong. Both are ok for the grounding function.

SO single rg6 with ground is it. If you encounter dual rg6 from a SwiM set up, one line is out of service. This makes an easy OTA run! Acquiring a single box of dual with ground can save money and space. Strip off the single with ground for the sat line and use the other line for interior runs. If this is your only project it could still work.

Save the messenger! It is better than duct tape. Any place you would use a nail or chain....messenger wire will do it.

Hope you drop the plans for back bonding,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts