tony stewart hits driver

Sprint cars have no transmission. It's a direct connection from engine to drive train. So when the engine is revved, there's acceleration. With that in mind, I think TS may have been trying to sling a little dirt and mud at the kid. Like you said, flipping the bird.

I totally agree with you. Two bad decisions. One fella will have to deal with it for the rest of his life.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That's how they turn is by using the gas. When you mash the gas and turn your wheel to the left it kicks the car to the right, and when you mash the gas and turn yoru wheel to the right it kicks the car to the left.

I saw what I saw. Frame by frame. The swerve did not happen before impact. It happened AFTER. I did not hear an engine rev that corresponded with the impact or swerve either.

This is what I saw as well.

The video I saw is at deadspin.com, it has full audio.

To me it seemed TS revved the engine just as flipping someone the bird.

My opinion is 2 bad decisions made by 2 different people. It's a terrible tragedy & regardless of fault it will forever be something TS will have to live with.

You also have to take into consideration where the person with the cell phone is at. He's in the front part of the track, and you CAN NOT hear the initial impact. Wich means that the rev you hear is happening on the front stretch and not where Tony is at. The impact into the railing would be way more loud than Tony revving the engine like the sound that is heard in the video.

Did Tony hit the guy? Yup... Did he do it on purpose? No!

The guy should have been in his car not walking across the race track. Rule number 1 is to STAY IN YOUR CAR unless your car is on fire or another life threatening reason. Plus he was wearing all black. Tough to see at that time. Plus the car in front of Tony almost hit him first.

I am saddened he lost his life but I am also sad for Tony Stewart as well. He will have to live with that forever.

Reactions: Rey
That's how they turn is by using the gas. When you mash the gas and turn your wheel to the left it kicks the car to the right, and when you mash the gas and turn yoru wheel to the right it kicks the car to the left.

This is what I saw as well.

You also have to take into consideration where the person with the cell phone is at. He's in the front part of the track, and you CAN NOT hear the initial impact. Wich means that the rev you hear is happening on the front stretch and not where Tony is at. The impact into the railing would be way more loud than Tony revving the engine like the sound that is heard in the video.

Yep, and yep.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've been watching Tony's FB page. There has been like 1500+ comments in the last hour alone. Many are slamming him pretty hard.

Many including myself have/had no idea on how these cars handle. I did not realize it took throttle to turn these things.

The media really needs to come out and give a good explanation on sprint cars 101 imo. It's a bad situation & the court of public opinion is going to overwhelm all involved.

Here are a couple of c&p comments from that FB page:

............I'm a big Tony fan and hated to see this happen. I have watched all the videos of it several times over. All I want to know is why he "goosed" it as he was going past. Several of the videos have audio and it is absolutely CLEAR he "goosed" it as he wasgoing past. I bet he was just trying to throw some dirt on him but sometimes the best intentions can go wrong. It's just like someone who "accidentally" runs a stop sign or accidentally does anything that kills someone, you are responsible for your actions and even the best intentions can go wrong. It wasn't criminal but they were under caution and going slow. He had no reason to pop the gas like he did and it is clear from the videos his rear end fishtailed a little bit. Ward should not have been there doing that, but Tony shouldn't have done what he did either. My heart goes out to all involved and hopefully ALL will learn from this.

...............I fully understand the people thinking Tony was too close to the kid but until you have driven a 360 or a super mod on mud or dirt you can't realize how poorly they stear without throttle.The fact that tony throttled when he did proves in my mind that he tried to power around the young man rather than have the car broad side him and totally run over him.:Again as drivers they are encouraged to stay in or near the car not challenging drivers on the track. What he did was equal to standing in the middle of the interstate in a ice storm during quitting time rush hour waving his fists. He lost.

............Why don't the people who know nothing about driving a dirt car just stop posting because they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. You have to rev the engine to turn the car.

I've been watching Tony's FB page. There has been like 1500+ comments in the last hour alone. Many are slamming him pretty hard.

Many including myself have/had no idea on how these cars handle. I did not realize it took throttle to turn these things.

The media really needs to come out and give a good explanation on sprint cars 101 imo. It's a bad situation & the court of public opinion is going to overwhelm all involved.

Here are a couple of c&p comments from that FB page:

............I'm a big Tony fan and hated to see this happen. I have watched all the videos of it several times over. All I want to know is why he "goosed" it as he was going past. Several of the videos have audio and it is absolutely CLEAR he "goosed" it as he wasgoing past. I bet he was just trying to throw some dirt on him but sometimes the best intentions can go wrong. It's just like someone who "accidentally" runs a stop sign or accidentally does anything that kills someone, you are responsible for your actions and even the best intentions can go wrong. It wasn't criminal but they were under caution and going slow. He had no reason to pop the gas like he did and it is clear from the videos his rear end fishtailed a little bit. Ward should not have been there doing that, but Tony shouldn't have done what he did either. My heart goes out to all involved and hopefully ALL will learn from this.

...............I fully understand the people thinking Tony was too close to the kid but until you have driven a 360 or a super mod on mud or dirt you can't realize how poorly they stear without throttle.The fact that tony throttled when he did proves in my mind that he tried to power around the young man rather than have the car broad side him and totally run over him.:Again as drivers they are encouraged to stay in or near the car not challenging drivers on the track. What he did was equal to standing in the middle of the interstate in a ice storm during quitting time rush hour waving his fists. He lost.

............Why don't the people who know nothing about driving a dirt car just stop posting because they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. You have to rev the engine to turn the car.

Did Tony hit the guy? Yup... Did he do it on purpose? No!

The guy should have been in his car not walking across the race track. Rule number 1 is to STAY IN YOUR CAR unless your car is on fire or another life threatening reason. Plus he was wearing all black. Tough to see at that time. Plus the car in front of Tony almost hit him first.

I am saddened he lost his life but I am also sad for Tony Stewart as well. He will have to live with that forever.
I agree

the 2 in front of Stewart were able to miss the guy
The first car had a better view, all Stewart saw was the car in front of him swerve out of the way, he had less time to swerve before hitting the guy.

The one at fault was the guy who decided to go out into the middle of the track. And he paid for that with his life.

I've seen the video multiple times and I still don't see where he fishtailed into the driver. I actually don't see the car do any swerving until he makes contact with the driver which makes sense be cause he would have a loss of traction on that tire. To me the kid could have been hit just as easily by the car in front of Stewart.

This is my view coming as a person that does not like Tony Stewart that much and doesn't care for racing all that much either.

Reactions: robstudio
I also don't think that Tony hit him on purpose. That kid should have stayed in his car.

Although auto-racing is not a sport (my opinion so don't waste valuable keystrokes) I must conclude that playing Human Frogger is indeed a sport...a sport of idiots! I don't believe that I have ever seen such as sad and pathetically stupid thing in my life. One does NOT get out of a vehicle in order to pursue a moving vehicle in the middle of a race track...much less at night, while wearing black, and being immobile due to wearing specialized safety shoes and equipment. I'm sorry, but this kid was a raging lunatic who, unfortunately, died from his own tragic lapse of judgment.

Meanwhile...yesterday Rory McIlroy became the 3rd youngest player to win 4 Major Golf Championships - only 3-months older than Tiger Woods when he accomplished this feat. Why aren't we talking about this positive sports accomplishment and wasting time discussing some dummy doing a dumb thing? This is a rhetorical question and something to ponder and reflect upon!

Crazy stuff... just read that all options are on the table w/ the authorities and Stewart is "not in the clear".
As far as am concern, you accept the risks when participating in a high risk sport and this was an unfortunate accident...
Charging Stewart w/ any offense/crime doesnt accomplish anything yet may set a precedent on being aggressive in the field of play.

Crazy stuff... just read that all options are on the table w/ the authorities and Stewart is "not in the clear".
As far as am concern, you accept the risks when participating in a high risk sport and this was an unfortunate accident...
Charging Stewart w/ any offense/crime doesnt accomplish anything yet may set a precedent on being aggressive in the field of play.

If they can actually prove that Stewart went our of his way to intentionally hit the kid then he can be tried for vehicular homicide. No different than a baseball player hitting another player with a bat intentionally. From what I saw I can't see any intent by Stewart though.

Reactions: Jimbo
Some of the confusion comes from legal language. This kid's death will be ruled a homicide because that is what it was. Intentional, not intentional, blame, mitigating circumstances, etc. come after the word "homicide". The problem is that most people out there equate homicide with murder or at least manslaughter. Murder and manslaughter are types of homicide, but a homicide is not necessarily one of the other two. So morons are looking at that word and assuming that Stewart will be charged with homicide, and from what I have read, that is not going to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts