Too Good to Be True? A Hopper in My Future?

Roxor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Indiana
I called DISH today to complain about losing the local NBC channel out of Indy due to a contact dispute with Dispatch Broadcasting. To make a long story longer, the young lady from India who could not understand me and versa vicea, connects me to the cancellation department (I did mention Direct TV had the channel) and I get a sweet southern lady. She not only gives me $30 off my bill for 6 months, but says I can get a Hopper and 2 Joeys and installation for free if I sign a 2-year contract and add tech service for $7/mo. Just a couple months ago, "Bruce" from India told me it would be about $300 to get a Hopper and 2 Joeys? Am I being taken for a ride, or am I missing something? The lady is going to call me tomorrow to see if I want to go with the Hopper, as I told her I had to consult with some friends first. My current 622s are 6 and 7 years old, but working fine, and I have not been under contract for more than a year. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. BTW, will they have to run more/new cables to connect the Hopper and Joeys, and do I need to connect the Hopper to Ethernet, WiFi, or Phone?

I'd say "Go for it!" That's assuming only 3 sat tuners and 0 OTA tuners on the Hopper are enough for your needs.

loyalty dept is basically just matching the new customer offer of the first hopper free then throwing in some extra discount to stay. Others have gotten similar offers recently.

Internet and phone connections are optional. Not required for operation.

Wiring diagrams: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=279755

They may run new cables between the hopper and the node to make sure that the cable is 3Ghz RG6. Depends on the tech and the existing cable.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am really happy with the Hopper and with the addition of OTA shortly this is one of the best DVRs on the market.

Agreed!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

She not only gives me $30 off my bill for 6 months, but says I can get a Hopper and 2 Joeys and installation for free if I sign a 2-year contract and add tech service for $7/mo.... Am I being taken for a ride, or am I missing something?

Don't forget the extra $7 / month for each joey, plus the $4 / month for MRV and the $7 / month tech service. Since already have the 2nd 622 you're used to the additional receiver fees. But it sounds better than $200 or $300 from previous inquiry.

Miner

I am in the same boat in Indy...was offered 2 Hopper/0 Joey install with multisport for free (for NFL redzone) and 10 dollar credit for a year if I didn't leave for Direct. I'm debating taking them up on it....I'm going to wait a bit and see if OTA is added to Hopper. I recently went to Best Buy to play with an HR34 from Direct, and was less than pleased with the delays on screen when pushing buttons on the remote and the lack of skip forward/back.
Also did a TON of reading online, and it sounds like there are so many issues with the Direct HR34, where Dish Hopper/Vip series has some random issues, but are typically taken care of quite quickly. I've always been a fan of Dish hardware, so I'd like to stick with them. Now that dual Hopper integration is working, if OTA comes to Hopper, I'd be happy to stay. Here's hoping OTA comes since WTHR is gone in Indy

I would likely go for two Hopper one Joey sytem if you have three TVs.
If you use the DVR like I do and watch only recorded shows to skip commercials you will soon get into tuner wars wth those watching the two Joey TVs.
Negotiation skills combined with the threat of leaving can do wonders.

I would likely go for two Hopper one Joey sytem if you have three TVs.
If you use the DVR like I do and watch only recorded shows to skip commercials you will soon get into tuner wars wth those watching the two Joey TVs.
Negotiation skills combined with the threat of leaving can do wonders.

I'm a 2 TV home, so 2 Hoppers would be perfect. I just laid it out for the nice woman on the phone, explained why I was looking at Direct, that I've always been happy with Dish hardware and customer service (sub for 5+ years), and was exploring my options. I've found that being honest, laying it all out there, and letting the other side decide what to do is the best approach to a lot of things. Put the onus on THEM to decide how much they wanted me to stay. I would say, in my case, Dish gave me a compelling reason to consider staying :cool:

The nice lady who promised to call last night (Wednesday) didn't, so I called DISH to complain this morning. I think it was worth it as I now have the protection plan for free for 6 months and $20 off my programming for 6 months, I assume. The tech is coming on Monday to install the Hopper and 2 Joeys. The nice lady said I would have to get all new wiring for the install. Really? I told her to warn the tech s/he would not be happy considering they will have to go under the house and into the attic to install the wires unless that can pull the new ones thru, which I doubt. The 1-3 hour timeline will probably be 5-6 hours considering that's how long it took to install the RG6 last time. I just hope they can get everything installed on Monday. She also told me I would have to return the 622s, but she did not say if I would get boxes to send them back and whether shipping would be free or not. We do not have a UPS drop off in our podunk city anymore (would have to drive 50 miles round trip to do so), but we do have a post office. I am already getting buyer's remorse. I hope this all works out

If Dish installed the RG6 you will probably not need new cabling. The installer will take the existing receivers with him. That's how it woked at my install last March.

I called DISH today to complain about losing the local NBC channel out of Indy due to a contact dispute with Dispatch Broadcasting. To make a long story longer, the young lady from India who could not understand me and versa vicea, connects me to the cancellation department (I did mention Direct TV had the channel) and I get a sweet southern lady. She not only gives me $30 off my bill for 6 months, but says I can get a Hopper and 2 Joeys and installation for free if I sign a 2-year contract and add tech service for $7/mo. Just a couple months ago, "Bruce" from India told me it would be about $300 to get a Hopper and 2 Joeys? Am I being taken for a ride, or am I missing something? The lady is going to call me tomorrow to see if I want to go with the Hopper, as I told her I had to consult with some friends first. My current 622s are 6 and 7 years old, but working fine, and I have not been under contract for more than a year. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. BTW, will they have to run more/new cables to connect the Hopper and Joeys, and do I need to connect the Hopper to Ethernet, WiFi, or Phone?

It is possible that you had to pay $300 for the upgrade when you first called in. It is also possible that you don't have to now. Dish goes through their customers like once a quarter and requalifies them. Your account status may have changed. I believe the last requalification was either last week or the week before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)