Too much gain

Rejul

Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I am looking for some info about signal boosters. I am using a DB8 and reaching stations about 50 plus miles a way. I have a 12 db booster. What is the ideal db gain for this set up? Is there a formula that will let me know how much gain to use in different set ups and distances?

Thanks much

R

I am looking for some info about signal boosters. I am using a DB8 and reaching stations about 50 plus miles a way. I have a 12 db booster. What is the ideal db gain for this set up? Is there a formula that will let me know how much gain to use in different set ups and distances?

Thanks much

R

Lower noise, is more important than higher gain. So, what's the rated noise level on your 12db booster? If it's around 1db or less, that's good, and 12db signal output is good, as long as you are not splitting it off to 4+ tv'd/receivers. Every split cuts off 1/2 the signal gain.

If it's 3db and above noise, it might be a problem. Boosted gain, means boosted noise, and you don't want noise! Every 3db of gain, is a doubling of antenna power signal level. With digital broadcasts however, too much signal can cause signal breakup. It's really hard to get more specific that that, as every site is different, because of all sorts of reasons. It's kind of voodoo magic when you deal with a propagated signal, as you could have a perfect setup, and not get the good pics and same channels as your next door neighbor, who might be using a much simpler setup.

So, you need to experiment, and spend some money on different things, and see what happens.

I think it takes an awful lot of signal to overload the tuner on a digital tv receiver.
You would also have to be terribly close to the towers too.

I use a Winegard HDP-269 (12dB) pre-amp on an attic install of a RS U75-R that is 2.5 miles from a 890KW channel 40 station.

I get no overloading, probably because the station is 90 degrees off axis from where the antenna is aimed. Never the less, I still receive that channel and all others with no problems.

I think it takes an awful lot of signal to overload the tuner on a digital tv receiver.
You would also have to be terribly close to the towers too.

Depends on the Tuner. I've got an old Samsung SIR STB that would get overwhelmed on one particular station, so I had to attenuate.

That was with a non-amplified antenna, 45 miles away from the tower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts