Too Quick, Too Bad

kengaz

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Guess I was a little too quick in thinking my 921 was spinning along without problems. It ran for about 2 weeks without problems but on 10/18/04 my world crashed. I turned on the 921 and could not get satellite 110. Could get it on input 2 and 119 on input 1 but never together. I have now PLEADED with Dish to replace the 921 - but nothing yet. YES, I did do a soft reboot numerous times. YES, I did reboot the switch numerous times but for two nights now all I can get is the off air stations. Have talked to advanced tech at DISH and they finally said they would have the product dept. call me. My 501 in the other room spins on without problems - getting both satellites without pause. YES I did connect another receiver in place of the 921 and it got both satellites. Go figure.

I am using a single line with a separator.

It has taken me three nights and many, many, many, many reboots (soft and switch), with many different wiring configs to see if I could isolate the problem. All the while I could get everything on a separate receiver with the same wiring. Finally everything came up tonight, with the original wiring (after many reboots). All the DISH tech people could say was it may be a cloud cover problem (but my 501 in another room never missed a beat). I also understand how hard it is for techs to know what is going on over the telephone since I have to sit on a computer help desk several times a month. The 921 is very unreliable and I think if I could sell it for $500 I would go back to cable. I am still waiting to hear from DISH about a replacement (and it is only 2.5 months old). The longest it has ever operated with trouble is 2 weeks. Of

I had this problem just a few weeks ago.

Heres when you need to do...

Go to the menu and select (6) System Setup then (6) Factory Defaults

When it reboots and comes back up disconnect the satellite lines coming in to the back of the 921. then run a check switch.

Once the check switch is done and it reports finding no switch turn the unit off, unplug it and hook your satellite cables back up to the tuners.

Plug it back in and let it boot.

Once again do another Switch Test, and now it should find you DPP44 with no problem. :)

Give it a try and let us know how it works. :D

I will keep this and try it next time it 'disconnects'. Thanks. Of course I am afraid to try anything until there is another problem - which I am sure (based on past experience) will happen in a week or so.

I note that you keep talking about only doing soft reboots. Also you talk about switch reboots - but you have two receivers.

Maybe your posts are just incomplete, ad you really are doing power-plug reboots, and making sure there's NO power to the DPP44 - even from the other receivers. In other words, just unplugging the power inserter is NOT enough.

Kengas, what Scott is telling you is correct I had to do the same thing about a month ago. Dish was clueless as to what to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)