Top 7 Episodes in "As the Satellite World Turns" for 2005

Doctor Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Riverside, California
Doc's Top 7 for 2005 (I copied some of SkyREPORT's Ideas!)

7. EchoStar tosses OLN - The No. 2 satellite TV service says they were forced to drop OLN (which this year gained rights to NHL hockey) after the Comcast-controlled network backed DISH into a corner over carriage. EchoStar had been offering OLN in its America's Top 180 package, but OLN reportedly wants DISH to carry the channel in more widely distributed packages, and EchoStar is too cheap to do the deal. But hey they don't really care about the Customer anyway, do they???

6. SBCA Woes - Let's just say that they are no longer a viable concern! Nobody really cares about this organization any longer, because they are nothing more than a mouth piece for DirecTV, and their Certification process that they have never used, but only abused. Dish Network has never backed the SBCA Certification process, so the whole thing was nothing more than a smoke screen to get information on who was doing installations, so they can hire them directly into the HSP's etc. etc. etc... At least they "WERE" a great Lobbying group, for Apartment Dwellers!!!

5. DirecTV Launches Local HDTV - The much-anticipated debut of local HDTV, was and will be a flop, until they get all the bugs out of their systems, and their DVR has had a poor showing at best... Tivo is laughing their A$$ off at DirecTV's failure...

4. DISH Gets VOOM - As with all things, Charlie just couldn't wait to get his hands on the other Charles's stuff... They still can't produce the quality and quantity that is needed to overtake the competition... By the time they get it figured out, they will be 5 years behind the times...

3. DTV Transition - This issue has been on the Capitol Hill radar for years, but lawmakers finally agreed to "move back" the switch to digital television for February 2009. So, do you think they will get it right this time? (Does the Fed ever get anything right???) NO!!!

2. Satellite's Hurricane Response - No words can describe the efforts of the entire satellite industry - satellite TV, satellite radio, satellite broadband and the commercial satellite guys - in responding to the hurricane disasters along the Gulf Coast. Not only did companies quickly move into action, but so did employees, retailers, installers and technicians, programmers, and even satellite TV subscribers themselves. Despite the tragedies inflicted by Katrina, Rita and Wilma, the business and its customers should get a big pat on the back for helping those who needed help the most. (Great Reporting by SkyREPORT)

1. Satellite's Workforce in disarray! - In the last decade the prices that were paid to the installation companies, went from $200.00 to $75.00. In 1995 gas sold for an average of $1.399 across the United States, and Milk was fast approaching $1.00 per gallon. Since that time the cost of living has gone up so high, that we have seen a 40% drop in installation techs in our industry. The only way that an Electronics Tech can make a decent living, is to do anything but Satellite installations. In 2006, the only thing that will save the "Old Satellite Tech" is to train to do other types and kinds of installations. The Small Dealer has had to find other products to sell, because they can't afford to go out of business, because of the Satellite Industry. The only thing that will save the Small Dealers and Techs, will be the www.SatelliteExpo2006 Show!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
7. Adding oln to other packages would increase the price of the packages, if my customers in the poorer sections of the cities, towns, villages, and country side are any indicator then any increase in their utilities would hurt them considerably.

6. YeCant say much as Im not certified by them.

5. Jeesh have some patience, it just came out.

4. See 5. Really even though its satellite its apples and oranges when it comes to hd and sd.

3. Its theyr fault for trying to push something that still costs more than a used car to buy for many people. Even though the cost of the tvs are coming down they are starting to level out quickly.

2. Yes it went well and repairs have happened faster than expected though new customers couldnt be installed in a timely fashion in many respects.

1. I guess it is rough for the non direct employeed techs, when I started working for dish 5 years ago I was making about $25k a year and this year Im set to clear $55k so for me its good but could be better. Unfortunately both providers do want to move away from the subs and dealers because it all comes down to the all mighty dollar and how much they can keep for themselves.

Hi Van,

All of these areas have "Pros & Cons" and I don't think any one answer is set in concrete. The Program packagers are a very complex set of numbers, but the end result is that D* & E* make a lot of money off of their subs. They are in the same category as the Cable Companies, because of their greed... :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts