• Total voters

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Who areTop five Boxers of all time?

Who areTop five Boxers of all time? You can Vote or write them down.

For me:

1.Muhammad Ali
2.Sugar Ray Leonard
3.Sugar Ray Robinson
4.Marvin Hagler
5.Julio Cesar Chavez

Last edited:
I have to list 10 because they are all so close after #1

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Joe Louis
3. Muhammed Ali
4. Henry Armstrong
5. Archie Moore
6. Benny Leonard
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Marvin Hagler
9. Roberto Duran
10. Sugar Ray Leonard

If you are talking about these boxers at their prime then you must pick Mike Tyson as #1. As much as I don't like the guy personally he destroyed his opponents in just over a minute more time than you can count.

Tyson was feared by others, when they saw his street style, after they relized he was not a machine but a man he went down, he was a good fighter but not one of the best in my book, I would go with who is listed from the first two posters, I also have a few others I would list.

charper1 said:
I have to list 10 because they are all so close after #1

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Joe Louis
3. Muhammed Ali
4. Henry Armstrong
5. Archie Moore
6. Benny Leonard
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Marvin Hagler
9. Roberto Duran
10. Sugar Ray Leonard

OH very good list!

Thanks, it was hard leaving Iron Mike out of the top ten, BUT as TDTI and Riff pointed out, I too thought it was his level of bad opponents (era) that hurt him.

Just to show how close it really was for me, I placed Marciano over Hagler, Duran, and Sugar Ray because he was the only champion to retire undefeated in the heavyweight division and was World Heavyweight Boxing Champ from 1952 - 1956 with a 49-0/43 KO's (87.76%). Had he fought 15 - 25 more total fights, he may have lost a few and then may have dipped under Hagler, but not Sugar Ray at only 40 total fights (and some I dispute the W's).

Duran, had tons of fights like Julio Cesar Chavez, but I just can't buy into all their fights being 100% legit; somewhat like Tyson's. I always take flak about my stance on Ali, but 61 fights with 5 losses and only 37 KO's; surely ranks him, but I can't place him at the top. I really think his Parkinson's and political stances, and personality help bump him to the top of most lists, but mine is only about boxing.

Hell, at #10 I wrestled with all of the following (in no special order) and I am not sure why I selected Sugar over the rest. It really came down to him and Foreman at #10 in my mind; I really should have made it a tie with all of them. Oscar hurt his pro career (I think) by spending so much time at the amateur level: 223-5 / 163 KO's - another hard selection left out.

Oscar de la Hoya
Mike Tyson
Félix Trinidad
Bernard Hopkins
James Toney
George Foreman
Larry Holmes
Sonny Liston
Marco Antonio Barrera
Julio César Chávez (González) (legitimacy questions on many fights?)
Héctor Camacho (another with to many fight legitimacy questions)
Jack Dempsey
Roy Jones Jr.
Thomas Hearns
Jake LaMotta
Gene Tunney

BUT..... Sugar Ray Robinson at 85-0 / 69 KO as an amateur and 175-19-6 with 108 KO is the TOP rank. Even Ali himself said Robinson was the BEST!

Last edited:
I like these
style_smiley.jpg

Ali, I can't have much respect for anyone that joins a religion for name sake to avoid going to war...
And who did he lose to besides Larry Holmes..

kind of skewd for 1960s on. Although i see that Rocky made the list.

sidekick said:
agree. It's strange to not see Joe Louis, Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey on the list

Let's be honest guys, most of us are no older than 50....maybe mid 50s...so we really cannot judge how good or bad the boxers OR their competition was between the 1950s thru the mid 1960s. ANY judgements we post about anyone PRE-1960...is ALL on what we read...unless of course you have some cool-ass vault with TONS of vintage fights on 8mm...;)

Did you go back and look through all the posts that led to the poll list? From post #2 & #7?

I could see Jack Johnson or Jack Dempsey, but sometimes the weak field of fighters might hurt them, but I included Joe Lewis in my FINAL list.

Thats the main reason you don't see Mike Tyson in my list, too weak opponents; or because of too many non-legit or controversial fights which is why no Julio César Chávez (González) or Héctor Camacho.

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Joe Louis
3. Muhammed Ali
4. Henry Armstrong
5. Archie Moore
6. Benny Leonard
7. Rocky Marciano
8. Marvin Hagler
9. Roberto Duran
10. Sugar Ray Leonard

Just off my list (in no order):
Oscar de la Hoya
Mike Tyson
Félix Trinidad
Bernard Hopkins
James Toney
George Foreman
Larry Holmes
Sonny Liston
Marco Antonio Barrera
Julio César Chávez (González) (legitimacy questions on many fights?)
Héctor Camacho (another with to many fight legitimacy questions)
Jack Dempsey
Roy Jones Jr.
Thomas Hearns
Jake LaMotta
Gene Tunney

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)