Top Movies are a gyp!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

p010ne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Decatur, TX
Noticed that Wall-E is listed on Top Movies (9981 VOD) for $5.99 expires 3/1 and length is 4 hr 16 minutes; however, when I buy the 24 hour rental and play the movie it only plays for 1 hour and 13 minutes - then we get Leonard Maltin previews of Kung Fu Panda and Narnia for the rest of the time!
How come DirecTV loads my HR21-1000 with these Top Movies that are not complete but cost a premium price?
I apparantly have to record it from channel 198 HDPPV to get the REAL MOVIE at 1 hr 38 minutes! for the same $5.99 price!!
I called DirecTV rep and had the VOD charge deleted and will use the PPV version!
:p Recorded and rented (24 hour) the HDPPV version, which is the Full Length version OK!
Why is DirecTV wasting my space on my HR21-100 with these worthless Top Movies?

Noticed that Wall-E is listed on Top Movies (9981 VOD) for $5.99 expires 3/1 and length is 4 hr 16 minutes; however, when I buy the 24 hour rental and play the movie it only plays for 1 hour and 13 minutes - then we get Leonard Maltin previews of Kung Fu Panda and Narnia for the rest of the time!
How come DirecTV loads my HR21-1000 with these Top Movies that are not complete but cost a premium price?
I apparantly have to record it from channel 198 HDPPV to get the REAL MOVIE at 1 hr 38 minutes! for the same $5.99 price!!
I called DirecTV rep and had the VOD charge deleted and will use the PPV version!
:p Recorded and rented (24 hour) the HDPPV version, which is the Full Length version OK!
If it's any consolation,
These movies are not taking space on your hard drive.
They are in a extra space that D* has assigned, you still have the full amount of HD space that your rec. says it has.

I have NO IDEA why it would only be a partial movie though.

Jimbo

I need to be reimbursed for the electricity!

If it's any consolation,
These movies are not taking space on your hard drive.
They are in a extra space that D* has assigned, you still have the full amount of HD space that your rec. says it has.
I have NO IDEA why it would only be a partial movie though.
Jimbo
:mad: How do I get reimbursed for the electricity that is required to record that junk? My electric provider charges me for ALL the energy that I use!:mad:

:mad: How do I get reimbursed for the electricity that is required to record that junk? My electric provider charges me for ALL the energy that I use!:mad:
Your rec is ALWAYS ON, regardless if the lights are on or not, so the recording took no more energy than any other time.

Are there any lawyers out there?

Your rec is ALWAYS ON, regardless if the lights are on or not, so the recording took no more energy than any other time.
:mad: Maybe DirecTV will be interested if there is a group lawsuit against this practice of wasting our equipment!:p
Can you spell "Class Action"?

Last edited:
:mad: Maybe DirecTV will be interested if there is a group lawsuit against this practice of wasting our equipment!:p

Your not getting the point .....
It takes no more electricity to record a show than not record a show, your rec is always on as is ALL DVR's in the world, seeing they have to be able to back up and record at any time.

A class action lawsuit for this would get thrown out quickly, but go ahead, you may get a few pennys in the long run.

Jimbo

I hate to be a wet blanket, but people like you are the reason this stuff is available. What kind of sucker rents a VOD or a PPV when there exists netflix? I do not know the answer to this, but aparently, you shave with him. :D

DirecTV sells their DVR based on "recordable hours", not "space". They market HD-DVRs as 30 or 50 hours of space. Never have they marketed an HD-DVR based on GB.

The reserved portion of the drive is generally only 70gb, not very big. The drives in the HR20 are 300gb, the HR21 are 320gb, and the HR22/23 are 500gb.

Your class action proposition would go nowhere, they haven't promised you anything regarding space.

As for electric, like Jimbo said, the DVR would be powered, including the hard drive, anyway. If you want to save electric, unplug your DVR, and neither you or DirecTV will record anything.

The concept of Top Movies is that it makes the movie "on demand". So the user doesn't have to wait until the 30 minute mark to view it.

If you don't like it, simply don't use it. You can't delete or eliminate it, and they aren't "taking anything from you", so I would recomend just accepting it.

We got three free ones!

I hate to be a wet blanket (do you mean "wet dream"?), but people like you are the reason this stuff is available. What kind of sucker rents a VOD or a PPV when there exists netflix? I do not know the answer to this, but aparently, you shave with him. :D
:welcome We got three FREE VIEWINGS for our anniversary with DirecTV so we thought we would try it out!
Of course I don't know who you SHAVE with???:welcome
:eek: Oh, by the way - are you enjoying the The Official Netflix Blog: Opt-in for the new Netflix movie player sliverlight version of netflix?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts