Topography UHF antenna choice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mferwerda

Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I am close to the base of Mt Hood, and about 35 miles from Portland, OR and am looking for antenna advice to get over the the air digital TV. I currently have a Winegard 7084p with a pre-amp and rotor, which does alright when the weather is nice, but I get a lot of breakup when it rains, which happens a lot here. The challenge of my location is that there are ridges on both sides and Mt Hood is just to the east. The interesting part is that the antenna has to be pointed almost directly at MT Hood, (180 degrees away from Portland, and the stations) in order to get reception. I was looking at the AntennasDirect 91XG, but am concerned that maybe it is too directional, any thoughts?

The interesting part is that the antenna has to be pointed almost directly at MT Hood, (180 degrees away from Portland, and the stations) in order to get reception.

You are in uncharted territory.

When using a bounce signal for DTV the problem that must be solved is multipath. The 91XG is excellent at reducing multipath from the back of the antenna. The narrower beam of the 91XG should also minimize reflections from the mountain. The up-tilt feature of the 91XG may also be useful to reduce multipath.

A sixth generation tuner might be good enough even with the HD7084P. You could also try aiming the Winegard up toward the top of Mt. Hood.

Let us know what you find.

Also, You have a mixture of VHF AND UHF stations come Feb 2009.

8 - NBC
10 - PBS
12 - FOX
40 - CBS
43 - ABC

You need the best UHF antenna and the best VHF antenna combined with the best pre-amp to have much of any chance. Almost everything is over two edges, even though it is not much over 40 miles away.

If you're willing to spend some money, I'd try an Antennas Direct 91XG for UHF, a Winegard YA-1713 for VHF and a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp. Get it up as high as possible.

Maybe use just the VHF section of the 7084 with the 91XG instead of buying the Winegard.

No guarantees.

Thanks for the advice, I do have the cm7777, and my signal strength is generally in the mid to upper 40's, which actually gives a good enough picture when the weather is good.

So, if a get this correctly, I could use the 91XG for UHF, and my 7084p for VHF, and use the CM7777 set to separate, and since the Winegard will be on the "VHF only" input port on the CM7777 and 93xg will be on the "UHF or combined port", would that cause any interference due to stacking the antennas on the VHF side?

I'm not sure what the recommended seperation is, but I'd keep them at least 4 ft apart.

Perhaps others will chime in with their expertise.

So, if a get this correctly, I could use the 91XG for UHF, and my 7084p for VHF, and use the CM7777 set to separate, and since the Winegard will be on the "VHF only" input port on the CM7777 and 93xg will be on the "UHF or combined port", would that cause any interference due to stacking the antennas on the VHF side?

Agreed. 4' apart sounds about right to me too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts