Toshiba at CES

Ok this is stupid, HD-DVD lost so now no one can enjoy true Hi Def? I suppose all the HD-DVD guys really don't care about quality, maybe that is why they went with HD-DVD in the first place. I want a true HD source, so when I get a projector and blow it up I have a decent picture. You Toshiba supporters just stick to your up conversion and your standard DVDs and leave the HI-Def to the people who want quality!

And you show that above picture on a large screen you will be able to tell the difference, I can tell the difference now.

Ok this is stupid, HD-DVD lost so now no one can enjoy true Hi Def? I suppose all the HD-DVD guys really don't care about quality, maybe that is why they went with HD-DVD in the first place. I want a true HD source, so when I get a projector and blow it up I have a decent picture. You Toshiba supporters just stick to your up conversion and your standard DVDs and leave the HI-Def to the people who want quality!

And you show that above picture on a large screen you will be able to tell the difference, I can tell the difference now.

Watch your blood pressure there brosif. Were talking about a theoretical product at this point.

And we are also talking about the average Joe not the hard core. These are the people who will decide anyway.

I agree with you though. I would rather have the full blown HD-DVD than an Up convert.

I was just theorizing. :cool:

The post had nothing to do with claiming there is no difference, but whether there is anything left in upconverting as a technology.
I think there is.

I looked at this picture on a 720p Samsung DLP and 768p Sony LCD (both about 2 years old). It takes time to find differences:
most visible is not Depp's face but the edge between his hat and the sky.

Diogen.

if your TV supports displaying images, copy the picture above
to a flash drive and have a look on your TV.
Keep in mind that not all TV sets can display photos in HD. Many sets downrez the image and then upconvert it...

Keep in mind that not all TV sets can display photos in HD. Many sets downrez the image and then upconvert it...

Right, none of us will know until the product becomes something more than an announcement.

I just wanted to present the Idea out there. :D

Watch your blood pressure there brosif. Were talking about a theoretical product at this point.

And we are also talking about the average Joe not the hard core. These are the people who will decide anyway.

I agree with you though. I would rather have the full blown HD-DVD than an Up convert.

I was just theorizing. :cool:

Sorry did not mean to get all pissy, I just want some HD standard to exist

Nah, its fine. Just happened to notice Toshiba threw that announcement out there during their press conference. I understand completely where you are coming from. :)

I agree randers but trust me, there are plenty of people that feel, "If I can't have HD-DVD then no HDM should survive." Very spiteful thinking but unfortunately true.

I agree randers but trust me, there are plenty of people that feel, "If I can't have HD-DVD then no HDM should survive." Very spiteful thinking but unfortunately true.

Oh yeah. Ive seen many posts that state they are going upconvert if BD is their only choice. Stupid.

Yeah That was part of my theory why Toshiba announced this. A possibility is that they are being sore losers.

As I stated earlier "they could have just cooked this up in the last 36 hours."

But until the product is actually something besides an announcement (or goes away completely) None of us know what this means for the market.

What wasn't I listening to, I don't see a link to a live audio presention in this thread? :p Or were you talking about me typing my response as the same time as yours and not seeing it (look at the time stamps).:rolleyes:

Now maybe Toshiba can pull this off but how will the cost compare to just purchasing a BD player that for most people does a fairly good job of upconversion and then just going forward just purchase native BD media?
The PS3 upconversion is horrible.

Keep in mind that not all TV sets can display photos in HD.
I used an HTPC.
Another advantage to using pictures like that is to see what 1:1 pixel mapping can do (Samsung does, Sony doesn't).

Diogen.

I agree randers but trust me, there are plenty of people that feel, "If I can't have HD-DVD then no HDM should survive."
Just like their BD couterparts: "Transformers and Shrek3 look just as good when upconverted as it does on HD... if you want to watch that dreck."

Diogen.

Just like their BD couterparts: "Transformers and Shrek3 look just as good when upconverted as it does on HD... if you want to watch that dreck."

Diogen.

Yep, immature fanboys on both sides.

Yep. Upconversion is recreating data that isn't there. They can get better at it, but can never match the original. The question is, can they get "good enough."

And moreso, if they do, that same technology can be applied to HD and produce even more incredibly detailed images, perhaps creating a market for 2,000 or even 4,000 line displays. So to some extent, perfecting that technology only buys some time, at best, and sows it's own demise.

Eventually, BD players will drop to around $100, at which point DVD only players will not be viable. By then, it may be common to only pay $3-$5 more for high def discs over plain DVDs. As the HD market grows, eventually studios will see it in their best interest to release more and more titles only in Blu-ray, where they presumably will make more profit. And more HD programs and more HDTVs in homes will make HD more common- and expected. Synergy.

Eventually, BD players will drop to around $100, at which point DVD only players will not be viable. By then, it may be common to only pay $3-$5 more for high def discs over plain DVDs. As the HD market grows, eventually studios will see it in their best interest to release more and more titles only in Blu-ray, where they presumably will make more profit. And more HD programs and more HDTVs in homes will make HD more common- and expected. Synergy.

I totally agree. Just like we saw progressive scan players drop in price to the point it was almost impossible to find a non-480p DVD player. Soon the same thing will happen with upconvert players replacing non-upconverting. And then as you mention, BD players will be the standard, though you'll still be able to find an el cheopo Magnavox or Akai non-BD player tucked away on the bottom shelves of Wal-mart and Target.

This is a little bit of a scary concept.... I love my HD movies, and would continued to love them regardless of which format won out, but the idea of making a better upconverter worries me. Most people can't tell the difference or don't care now, what are they going to do if this becomes a reality. You'll have a whole segment of the population that will never care about Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD) anyway... this could potentially increase that segment dramatically.

I actually think it would be a great move by Toshiba - sell more hardware and extend the life of the DVD platform....

I actually think it would be a great move by Toshiba - sell more hardware and extend the life of the DVD platform....
For this to happen it must make business sense. And that is not a given.
There is no shortage in algorithms that can be used to achieve this. The question is, do you have
enough horsepower and can you differentiate your product from the sub-$50 DVD player crowd.
Toshiba, having gotten the Cell fab for a song and a dance from Sony, might be able to pull it of.

As long as BD players are $200+ there will be a market (at least in theory).
The moment they go $100-ish, this window of opportunity will be shut.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)