Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

One of the billion press releases posted around said Toshiba has no plans for entering the BD player market. They might purchase players for their computers from other manufacturers.

S~

Japanese news site Nikkei.net has just announced that Toshiba's plan is to immediately stop manufacturing all HD-DVD products (both players and recorders), and to stop selling them at end of March. The official announcement will happen at the press conference set for 5 PM Tokyo time. We'll be back with Toshiba's official statement as soon as it comes in.

Thanks to Keiko S. for the translation and links. Stay tuned...

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age

Toshiba, HD - DVD development production extensive stop present withdrawal announcement

Toshiba on set the policy of stopping the development production of the new generation DVD product which is based "HD - DVD" standard extensively. It is the direction where also product sale discontinues the end of March in aim. It examined also the reduction plan which is squeezed in for the player (re-gray fabric) and Europe, but that in the circumstance which cannot anticipate future software spread also support of the customer profit is difficult it judged, decided withdrawal extensively. Because of this, SONY and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. recommend the new generation DVD market which two standards dispute in "the blue ray disk (BD)" it is unified.

19th in the afternoon, President thick Satoru Nisida interviews, the reporter adjusts to the construction of the semiconductor new factory and announces. As for development production of player and recorder (video recording re-gray fabric) instantaneously stop. Passing such as American Hewlett Packard (HP) the conference of principal customer concerning the recorder for the personal computer, it decides, but Toshiba is the thought of conveying the intention of production stop same as the player et. al.. (07:02)

NIKKEI NETi“úŒoƒlƒbƒgjFŽå—vƒjƒ…[ƒX|Še•ª–ì‚Ìd—vƒjƒ…[ƒX‚ðŒfÚ

(Translation Above)

How are you reporting on an interview conducted tomorrow? i know that tokyo is ahead but not by that much.

It is Tue 11:19 AM in Tokyo Japan right now. They, being on the "other" side of the International Date Line are in Eastern Date and we in the USA are the last handful of time zones in the Western side.

Right bit doesn't the article talk about the AFTERNOON of the 19th. 11:19 Am is not the afternoon. Am i misreading it?

Understood but how is it reporting on the future? Or again am I misreding that paragraph?

I think it is just bad translation. I think it is trying to say in the afternoon on the 19th they will be discussing the construction of a new semiconductor factory.

I think that you are right. There is another thread making the same point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)