Toshiba Plans HD DVD Super Bowl Spot

I think its safe to say the TL51 is not coming, even Amir did not argue that one.

As far spending the 2.7 mil, dont think its smart.

I seriously doubt the bought the ad after the Warner announcement. Ads for the superbowl are usually sold far in advance, often with a package of spots. The only thing I could see them changing is removing all trace of Warner from the ad (i.e. showing featured movies from Warner). They could probably try to sell the spot to someone else, but they probably figured better to use the time themselves.

... or two, or three. Afterall, the game is on Fox and I'm sure Sony "owes" them a lot of advertising $$$ in exchange for Fox's loyalty to BD. ;)

Just because WB changed their mind doesn't mean that HD-DVD isn't a good format. The only reason BD-only fans care is that they want Paramount and Universal to release films on BD. If that happened, then they would care less about an ad in the Super Bowl. So go for it Toshiba! Prove those non-believers wrong. You have to admire them going out with a fight.

They should use the ad time to promote their other electronics such as LCDs or laptops or just do a "branding" ad. Whatever they do I hope the ad is more entertaining then a lot of the Super Bowl ads we've been seeing lately that almost try too hard to be cool, hip, and funny.

What about all those that wasted their money buying overpriced BR players.

Poor man buys a car for $15000 and gets 28 miles to the gallon. Rich man buys a car for $45000 and gets 30 miles to the gallon. Which one do you think purchased the overpriced car?

The only item in life overpriced is the one you can't afford. Everything is relative.

Poor man buys a car for $15000 and gets 28 miles to the gallon. Rich man buys a car for $45000 and gets 30 miles to the gallon. Which one do you think purchased the overpriced car?

The only item in life overpriced is the one you can't afford. Everything is relative.

I own a Prius, so I can call BS on that analogy. If someone is truly so strapped for cash that he or she truly worries about gas prices, their best bet is to buy a USED Aveo for like $5-8k and get 35 mpg rather than buying a NEW Prius for $25k to get 48 mpg.

The rich man bought the overpriced car. $45k is a well optioned (but not loaded) BMW 3 series. $15k is a base V4 Cobalt or Elantra. Both are compact sedans that get you to your destination.

If Toshiba did a variation of the commercial you can see on this site, and maybe include the fact the HD DVD players are the only next generation players that an all do PIP and interactivity, along with the fact you can pick one up today at prices starting at under $150, and maybes mention some of the newest movie releases, it would not be such a bad commercial.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)