Why has Circuit City been quiet?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Over the weekend many differant sites have reported that CC is not only selling HD-DVD players at a reduced price but are clearing them out. Some say that this is in line with Toshiba dropping the price, some say that they will restock the product once they sell out, and some say that CC indeed is moving HD-DVD off their shelfs.

Whatever is going on I find it interesting that Circuit City has chose to remain mum on the whole conversation. No statement that they are not dropping HD-DVD from the stores, no statement that they are. Most retailers don't act this way so somethings up?

Right now this is a ll speculation. The absence of a denial is not the same as a confirmation.

Circuit City has bigger fish to fry (i.e. trying to turn a profit and avoid further ass-kickings by Best Buy and others) and I doubt more than half of their trained associates never heard of HD DVD or BD.:rolleyes:

Oops...that wasn't meant to be sarcastic.:eek:

Circuit City has bigger fish to fry (i.e. trying to turn a profit and avoid further ass-kickings by Best Buy and others) and I doubt more than half of their trained associates never heard of HD DVD or BD.:rolleyes:

Oops...that wasn't meant to be sarcastic.:eek:

The funny thing is if I have the choice, I take CC over BB anyday. Maybe its just customer loyalty from the many years when CC was the only game in town, but mostly its because I get better service and have had very good experiences with our CC. Whereas BB is not at all customer friendly. Of course it could just be my particular store.

The funny thing is if I have the choice, I take CC over BB anyday. Maybe its just customer loyalty from the many years when CC was the only game in town, but mostly its because I get better service and have had very good experiences with our CC. Whereas BB is not at all customer friendly. Of course it could just be my particular store.
BB is slightly less horrible in my opinion. In fact, the CCs in my area have sunk to new lows after they fired 3000+ of thier hightest paid hourly workers last March.

Why did this need a new thread, as if this forum is your blog or something?

Harsh, I know, but now we have 2 threads on the same or similar subject.

When was the last time a company put something on clearance and came out and said 'yup, it's on clearance!'...?

Over the weekend many differant sites have reported that CC is not only selling HD-DVD players at a reduced price but are clearing them out. Some say that this is in line with Toshiba dropping the price, some say that they will restock the product once they sell out, and some say that CC indeed is moving HD-DVD off their shelfs.

Whatever is going on I find it interesting that Circuit City has chose to remain mum on the whole conversation. No statement that they are not dropping HD-DVD from the stores, no statement that they are. Most retailers don't act this way so somethings up?

There are two ways of looking at most things. There are many (mostly Blu Ray supporters I would guess) who would probably say that they are being quiet so they get rid of their stock. Since it appears they raised their prices back up today, logically that would kind of argue against the closing out theory. Another way to look at is is that they made a price mistake dealing with a different SKU that had different movies in the box. If that is the case, if I was CC, I would not want to admit to such a blunder, and thus the quiet. Maybe the fact that they are not saying anything is because they have nothing to say, and not that something is up. If we do not see an official announcement soon, I would guess the latter is the truth, at least for now. Either way, it may have moved some players into happy users hands.

Why did this need a new thread, as if this forum is your blog or something?

Harsh, I know, but now we have 2 threads on the same or similar subject.

When was the last time a company put something on clearance and came out and said 'yup, it's on clearance!'...?

I could post several sites that are reporting on CC's move to discount and clear out HD-DVD players from the shelves. This started the converstation this weekend. My point is that every major player or retailer who has been said to be moving in a particular direction has immediately come out and stated that they were staying with the status quo. We are now seeing smaller retailers with limited shelf space cut back on HD-DVD and expand their BD offerings. CC is still a national player and as such should comment on their moves if it affects something as important as HD-DVD support in their B&Ms.

And all of those sites are reporting on the same speculation... per the numbers posted in the digital bits thread stores aren't selling more than a couple HDDVD OR BD players per week, including whatever 'buy a TV, get a player free' sales are going on.

Again, why is this any different than the other thread?

BTW, here's a site for you:

circuitcity.com - Weekly Ad -

How many 'national players' with items on clearance put them in their circular at full price? If you want a 'comment on their moves' there it is.

The 100.04 price was just a price mistake by Circuit City. It's been fixed in their computer system since yesterday afternoon.

Story behind it is that there is a new SKU for the HD DVD players with different bundled movies (no 300 as its a Warner title), and CC accidentally marked the current SKU as clearance.

Move along now, nothing to see here.

-John

The 100.04 price was just a price mistake by Circuit City. It's been fixed in their computer system since yesterday afternoon.

Story behind it is that there is a new SKU for the HD DVD players with different bundled movies (no 300 as its a Warner title), and CC accidentally marked the current SKU as clearance.

Move along now, nothing to see here.

-John

jgantert

Do you have a link actually confirming that explanation? I have read that in blogs and such but no hard evidence

In my are CC custoemer service has suffered with the cuts---so has selection. But I do occasioanlly finda buy there---particualrly on the website.

I've bought at CC more recently than I have in some years, but their stores are so dated looking now compared to the nearby Best Buys. Very cluttered, badly lit, poorly laid out, empty shelves, etc.

I defy anybody to walk into a CC and go to the DVD "section" which is bascially racks, tubs, bins, and standalone racks near the register and a DVD that is not a recent release. No alphabetizing, strewn all over the place and no where near the amount of titles as BB.

As for HD discs,I've noticed as few of them have actually LESS stock of both formats. Their heads are up their asses. They dont know what they're doing. And the employees could care less since they fired their "higher paid" people.

I dont disagree CCity lags BBuy in software.

I personally make my hardware purchases there. I bought the BD30 at BBuy, only because it was not in at CCity. First time in 4-5 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)