Why has Circuit City been quiet?

If you read thorugh this thread you'll see it was a computer error. Seems to happen at CC a lot. Slick Deals made me aware of Panasonic camera that listed at 250 on sale by accident for a 100 dollars.
Circuit city Clearancing Toshiba HD-DVD players with EB movies A3 $100 A30 $149!!!! B&M +7 free movies - SlickDeals.net Forums

Kevinw

When I initially read the thread there was speculation that it was a price error, about the same amount of speculation about CC discontinuing. I see now the OP of the thread has corrected himself.

At first it seems like discontinuing, but I have not heard of newer model coming out. At any rate prices were mis-marked in the computer and not on the shelf. If the boxes were marked down then I would read something into CC dumping stock, since they were not I'll leave it as another data entry error.

I was searching the net and finally found a statement from Circuit City (not a store manager).

"Jackie Foreman, a spokesperson for Circuit City, rather emphatically denied this. "It was a pricing error but it was corrected and will continue to make both formats available to Circuit City customers," she told InternetNews.com.

I wonder why none of the blu tilting sites ever asked Circuit City for a statement and instead still continue to spread the false rumor that Circuit City has dropped HD DVD.

I was searching the net and finally found a statement from Circuit City (not a store manager).

"Jackie Foreman, a spokesperson for Circuit City, rather emphatically denied this. "It was a pricing error but it was corrected and will continue to make both formats available to Circuit City customers," she told InternetNews.com.

I wonder why none of the blu tilting sites ever asked Circuit City for a statement and instead still continue to spread the false rumor that Circuit City has dropped HD DVD.

Do you have any links?

Same reason the other side does the same thing.

rjones on here stated the TL51 is rumored to be mentioned on the superbowl ad, everyone made a big deal that warner "extended" hddvd support which was BS. People just cant add.

Theres crap from everywhere.

I post some iffy stuff every now and then, but I do try and make sure its confirmed. Problem with internet sites is they jump the gun on news.

To me, if a retailer quits selling HDDVD, they arent going to bitch slap toshiba by coming out and saying it. Itll be slow and quiet.

To me, if a retailer quits selling HDDVD, they arent going to bitch slap toshiba by coming out and saying it. Itll be slow and quiet.

Hmm... Meijer's, Target, BJ's Wholesale Club and Woolworth's UK did.

Toshiba gets outblogged everytime. There are still people saying HD DVD is dead. Honestly, if you want to watch HDM movies from all studios, you still need a player for each format.

Hmm... Meijer's, Target, BJ's Wholesale Club and Woolworth's UK did.

Toshiba gets outblogged everytime. There are still people saying HD DVD is dead. Honestly, if you want to watch HDM movies from all studios, you still need a player for each format.

Sorry, should have said MAJOR retailer :) .

I still dont see Target as that big of a deal.

BBuy and CCity are the two to watch.

Same reason the other side does the same thing.

rjones on here stated the TL51 is rumored to be mentioned on the superbowl ad, everyone made a big deal that warner "extended" hddvd support which was BS. People just cant add.

Theres crap from everywhere.

I post some iffy stuff every now and then, but I do try and make sure its confirmed. Problem with internet sites is they jump the gun on news.

I agree there is a lot of misinformation from both sides, but usually the stuff that comes form the HD DVD side is often factual (HDVD has more features that Blu will not have until Profile 2 and half the price) or rumors and wishes of what could come in the way of hardware or software (triple layer disks or new releases). The posts are also usually more civilized. A lot of the posts on the Blu side are attacks on HD DVD equipment (Toshiba POS and name calling). It is almost as if they are so afraid that HD DVD could come back that they will use any little rumor to attack. And then the same talking points start showing up in all the forums. Just do a google search on Toshiba Superbowl commercial to see all the same headlines. They are all the same like they got together for an advertising campaign and agreed on what words to use to make sure everybody thinks it is a hail mary pass or last ditch effort to fire sale the equipment. It reminds me of a dirty political campaign.

It only appears this way right now. When everything was pretty equal(pre WB) and after Paramount went HDDVD exclusive, the HDDVD guys were all over it.

Theres just nothing to taunt with right now. It all comes down to what goes around comes around(I dont agree with this, but just the way it is). The comment that HDDVD posts are more civil is WAY off mark. Maybe not for this qtr, but over the entire history both sides are guilty.

It only appears this way right now. When everything was pretty equal(pre WB) and after Paramount went HDDVD exclusive, the HDDVD guys were all over it.

Theres just nothing to taunt with right now. It all comes down to what goes around comes around(I dont agree with this, but just the way it is). The comment that HDDVD posts are more civil is WAY off mark. Maybe not for this qtr, but over the entire history both sides are guilty.
AMEN!:D:up so true

One of the problems is that Toshiba is a company that is trying to buck Goliath. Folks always like the underdog and Toshiba has been in that posistion from the very begining. On the other side they have Sony which carries with it a stigma in the electonics industry much like Microsoft carries in the PC market. So Sony gets alot of hate because they are one of the founders of BD (not the only one nor neccessarily the largest) and this brings out the hate mongering towards the BDA.

The second thing that usually gets folks riled up is the low brow name calling that tends to happen when someone does not have something intelligant to say or to debate with. This happens from both sides and when it does it takes the discusion away from the debate.

Bottom line is both formats are very good. HD-DVD was able to flesh out their standards very early and this has been a benefit to the format. BD has equal standards once the format gets to 2.0 but those players are not yet out nor are there any players currently on the market. This coupled with Toshiba's price gouging their players for sales has caused both camps to offer rediculous inticements to purchase their players. Seven free discs, half price players, free players, BOGO's , BTGOF, more price drops. What's interesting is that as long as it is your chosen format that is doing making the offer -- it is okay but if the other side does the same thing -- lookout!

We are in the infancy of two markets right now, the HDTV market and the HDM disc based market. Both have not replace the older formats yet but as time goes on they both will. Folks like myself get very excited at times and push the envelope. I hope at the end of this day most of us can remain even keeled and understand that this is a small step in the development of entertainment options that will become available to us in the next 10 to 15 years.

Bottom line is both formats are very good. HD-DVD was able to flesh out their standards very early and this has been a benefit to the format. BD has equal standards once the format gets to 2.0 but those players are not yet out nor are there any players currently on the market. This coupled with Toshiba's price gouging their players for sales has caused both camps to offer rediculous inticements to purchase their players. Seven free discs, half price players, free players, BOGO's , BTGOF, more price drops. What's interesting is that as long as it is your chosen format that is doing making the offer -- it is okay but if the other side does the same thing -- lookout!

This is exactly why this "format separation" (much nicer term, eh?) is good for the consumer. Lower prices on better hardware. Can you imagine the crap (think worse than 1st gen) hardware we would have if there were no competition?

This is exactly why this "format separation" (much nicer term, eh?) is good for the consumer. Lower prices on better hardware. Can you imagine the crap (think worse than 1st gen) hardware we would have if there were no competition?

This is total ka-ka. DVD had a similar competing format problem that was solved by compromise in the 11th hour. That led to a very successful new technology introduction. The only other recent intro with competing formats was VHS and that was a painful drawn out battle.

The DVD compromise showed how a merged format could be wildly successful. If the 2 camps had managed to co-operate we would see significantly higher market penetration. Instead of fighting between the camps for features, you would see it in competition between the different brands of playwers.

I had noticed that a lot of local CC's had run out of either A3's or A30's during the week. I just checked and they all have them back in stock and I understand t his Sunday's add features the A3 (as well as Best Buy's), from what I read on a forum. Maybe this is all coordinated with the Toshiba Superbowl Ad to move a lot of players?

I know that this is not CC but on Saturday I went in to Walmart and they were sold out of the A-3 and on the price tag on the shelf was this written: "Manager-This item is not available for reorder"

Does that mean that Toshiba is fazing out the A-3 for a newer model or Walmart is going to offer the next model up? Who knows at this point?

I know that this is not CC but on Saturday I went in to Walmart and they were sold out of the A-3 and on the price tag on the shelf was this written: "Manager-This item is not available for reorder"

Does that mean that Toshiba is fazing out the A-3 for a newer model or Walmart is going to offer the next model up? Who knows at this point?

Maybe they are doing the same messup that Circuit City did and there is a different sku for the players with the different movies, as the Superbowl ad that some people in the country were able to see (not me since local commercials were shown at the time!) clearly shows BB, CC, and Walmart on the final screen with the $149 price.