Toshiba Goes Ahead With Its HD DVD Plans...

It's nice to see that you queitly dropped your claim - in your best traditions completely stupid - that Blu-ray was the answer to DVD Forum activities. You even moved the discussion to another thread. No, I don't expect your admission you were wrong despite your claim you always do...

WTF does this mean?
Its his way of trying to rewrite history because he thinks he won.:rolleyes:

At this point we dont even know if that sample was even broadcast from the satellite that they will be using. No reason for compression if the specs are correct. .

no sh*t sherlock :rolleyes: Show me where I said the video would be uncompressed?

Did someone break into Don's computer and impersonate him?

I said a higher bitrate than BD.You can read cant you?
Well you did say that there was no need for it if the specs were correct. As shown above

I was reffering to the compression artifacts he saw. No reason for them transmitting at that high a bitrate.:rolleyes:
If you say so, however if that is the case it was not clear. So I can see where he misunderstood

Specs? I prefer to see and believe. Kind of reminds me of the whole "Contrast Ratio" thing. From what I have been reading, the "specs" that we have been seeing regarding this on the HD sets have been misleading at best. Anyway, looks like Vurbano can now jump off the HD DVD wagon and on to the next great thing. As long as BD doesn't come out with a victory, right Vurbano?

A less hysterical view on Toshiba's insistence to support HD DVD:
Toshiba Refuses To Wave The White Flag In HD DVD-Blu-Ray War -- HD DVD -- InformationWeek
As always, it's all about money...
"You have more negotiating clout if you continue to actively support the HD DVD format," he said. "If you rollover and play dead, then you have no clout."
"In the end, you're going to see a pretty big check from Sony to drop the (HD DVD) format," the analyst said. "It's in Sony's interest to get this over with as quickly as possible."

Diogen.

Interesting article. So basically Toshiba is saying, "We're going to hang around and continue to muck things up unless you pay us off."
Bingo!
Why not if you can? :)

In this respect big business is a bit like big politics.
I remeber reading a review about US-Soviet Union relations in the 70s (raging Cold War).
One of the Soviet (anonymous, of course) negotiators in disarmament talks put it bluntly:
"The only one product we can sell to the US is their safety. And they better pay up".
An that's exactly what happened... 20 years later. :)

Diogen.

EDIT:
A more recent and closer to home example would be SCO vs. IBM regarding Linux issues.
Here SCO obviosly bit more it could chew. And it backfired big time. Deservedly so.
History is written by the victors...

Interesting article. So basically Toshiba is saying, "We're going to hang around and continue to muck things up unless you pay us off." I suppose they want to get something out of this format war.

No, the analyst is saying that.

I've also held off buying and the recent announcement at first pushed me further way from buying either format ... however right now the chance to get an up converting dvd player combined with a hd dvd player and seven movies for $130 almost makes it a no-brainer ...

I'm probably even further away from putting my money down on a Blu-Ray setup than i was before ... because of the current price-points.

I am leaning towards grabbing a HD DVD player now cos I have got nothing to loose at that price .. (7 regular dvd's would cost me around that much even without the hardware) and if or when the format war does tip towards blu-ray the prices on those players should be much more to my liking. (I'll probably be more likely to bite at a price below $200)

If the format war does not go to blu-ray - I'll also be happy cos I'll still have a HD DVD player.

Either way - the recent announcement has actually moved me closer to owning a hd dvd player much more than it has put me off owning one... strange.

I just purchased HD-A3 last night for this very reason. It's a win win situation. Get the 7 Free movies plus have an affordable upconverting DVD player at the same time. If they lose who cares. I will still never own a BD player EVER! Period! I will just buy SD DVD's till something better comes out or DVD's die all together. Then I will be stuck watching movies on tv.

I will still never own a BD player EVER! Period!
Why? I am a die hard HD DVD fanboy for the get go. Recently I got a blu player because I want more HD movie choices. I still think HD DVD is the better format, but I don't think there going to win this battle. I just want HD movies and by having both I get more choices. But hey, if you like your movies upconverted, more power to you. I like having true HD on my TV.

When talking about the potential of a new format to go mainstream, we have to see the differences between an early adopter and mainstream consumer.

The former group (best to be identified as those posting on hidef forums) not only knows the audio/video codecs used, connection between bitrate and picture quality, specs of the different players on the market, how to connect the player to the display device, what AVR to use, what HDMI and HDCP means, etc., but more importantly - puts a high value on the final result.

The latter - mainstream consumer - not only doesn't know this, but never will. It has to be cheap, simple and shockingly better. At the moment it is expensive, cumbersome and "better" is a very subjective factor.

It is very easy to escalate the consumer confusion using things like upconverting DVD players and such.
Therefore, I think Sony/BDA can't afford not have the HD DVD heavyweights on their side.
And that won't happen by itself - somebody would have to pay for this to happen.

Diogen.

I will still never own a BD player EVER! Period!

Having watched a few movies on this now I have to say I am actually considering a Playstation 3 already. This is the only time my wife has ever said to me that she can actually "see" a difference between SD and HD. (I honestly thought she was joking for the first couple of months - but she swears that she seriously cannot tell the difference between SD and HD on Dish :eek: )

If the price drop on the PS3 to $299 does happen ... i'll do the sony visa card offer ... and get one for $199 after singup bonus .... at that price - again - i can't possibly say no.

Personally i'll still be hoping that HD-DVD can turn this thing around and pull off this win ... because i really do have very little sympathy or love for sony .. in fact - I think the world would be a much better place without them ...

But i'm not going to hold out too much hope .... and i'm certainly not going to go as far as you and not own a BR device at all ..

My love for HD far outweighs my hatred for all things Sony and the PS3 is a decent device for what will be (@ $199) a decent price.

Why? I am a die hard HD DVD fanboy for the get go. Recently I got a blu player because I want more HD movie choices. I still think HD DVD is the better format, but I don't think there going to win this battle. I just want HD movies and by having both I get more choices. But hey, if you like your movies upconverted, more power to you. I like having true HD on my TV.

I don't like Sony, ever since the whole rootkit fiasco I have boycotted everything Sony. I will not watch any movie produced by Sony pictures or listen to any music that was produced by Sony or BMG. They just went a little too far with the whole DRM thing and I have boycotted them. I know the little bit of money they aren't receiving from me won't hurt them, but I have my principles and you have yours.

I really think HD DVD is going to have a BIG turnaround, i don't know why but something in me thinks that it's just going turn around. i think one of studios, buena vista maybe, will go back/to HD DVD. i don't know i really think HD DVD will win in the end...

which is why i am having HUGE doubts about buying a PS3. i have been offered on many occasions since ive have my HD setup setup, to get a PS3, but omething is telling me "no, wait.. hold on just a little more" cause HD DVD will strike back with something. but the PS3 physically will look amazing with my setup :rolleyes:

Isn't Buena Vista part of Disney? It seems like an odd candidate to switch sides.

I don't like Sony, ever since the whole rootkit fiasco I have boycotted everything Sony. I will not watch any movie produced by Sony pictures or listen to any music that was produced by Sony or BMG. They just went a little too far with the whole DRM thing and I have boycotted them. I know the little bit of money they aren't receiving from me won't hurt them, but I have my principles and you have yours.
You know other companies make BD players also right? Why not get one of those?
And the movies are not produced by Sony

My reason why is that until BD comes close to offering a complete product I will not even consider buying BD. BD 1.1 is a joke, it just shows how much respect they have for the comsumer. The so called best standalone BD player $500 or less Panasonic BD30, has less productivity then the HD-A3 for $350 more, and before BD fanboys start crying about the A3 only being 1080i if you have a 1080p TV purchased within the last year there is no difference in the picture displayed.

You know other companies make BD players also right? Why not get one of those?
And the movies are not produced by Sony

The whole blue ray thing goes back to Sony so I won't support it.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen a few movies in the past that said something to the effect of Sony Pictures or something like that.

In fact here is a link Sony Pictures

Man, I'm really glad I don't let my principles get in the way of my entertainment options... :)

And yes, there is a Sony Pictures, but there are also plenty of other studios making Blu-Ray movies...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts