tOSU being investigated for tattoo-gate?

Tressel's tactic a shrewd solution that protects him, players, program
Friday, December 31, 2010 02:54 AM

The Columbus Dispatch
Coach Jim Tressel's solution helps the school's image while also ensuring the suspended players serve some form of penalty.
Neal C. Lauron | Dispatch
Coach Jim Tressel's solution helps the school's image while also ensuring the suspended players serve some form of penalty.

So much for Ohio State coach Jim Tressel not knowing how to draw up a creative offensive strategy. He just pulled off a masterful flanking maneuver that puts him back in charge and quiets critics who have questioned his leadership.

Tressel telling the Suspended Six underclassmen they would not be allowed to travel to the Sugar Bowl, much less play in the game, unless they promised to return next season is a stroke of strategic brilliance.

Mostly, Tressel regains some control. It could not have been a fun past week for the Senator, who must have felt helpless when the NCAA suspended five players - quarterback Terrelle Pryor, tailback Daniel Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey, offensive tackle Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas - for the first five games of the 2011 season and linebacker Jordan Whiting for the first game. But it seems his hands were tied further when athletic director Gene Smith and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany successfully lobbied the NCAA to keep the players eligible for Tuesday's game in New Orleans.

The overwhelming public outcry for Tressel to sit the players anyway placed him in a personal and professional predicament. Personally, the ability to lead his team was compromised. Sitting the players for one series or one quarter as a token punishment would ring hollow. Professionally, to suspend them for the entire game would undermine the work put in by his boss. That is a lose-lose for a coach who constantly searches for win-wins.

As one who is always intrigued and often impressed by Tressel's ability to turn negatives into positives, I wondered how he would turn dirty laundry into clean socks this time.

Ta-da. He presented Pryor and the others with an either/or proposition that smoothes a rough stretch of negative news. Either the players return, which would help the program while also ensuring they serve some form of penalty - even if Ohio State's appeal is successful, the five-game suspension only would be reduced and not eliminated - or they go back on their word, enter the NFL draft and become persona non grata in Columbus, where they risk losing money and status. Local radio and TV jobs don't go to turncoats. And what would an NFL team think about a player who reneges on a promise? How reliable can he be?

It's all sleight of hand, because the players' promises to return are nonbinding. Enforceable or not, Tressel's reputation in this gentleman's agreement is secure. If the players leave, it falls on them, not him. Not that Tressel wants them to suffer. Even strategists can be genuine in their sympathies, and Tressel no doubt feels for the fallen. But in this case he needed to show strength more than compassion.

Another interesting outcome of Tressel's tinkering: Two days ago, most fans thought the tainted Buckeyes would play against Arkansas. Today, we know they will. The only difference is in the degree of public outrage. Two days ago, many fans fumed that Ohio State's honor was at stake if Tressel did not sit the players for the bowl. Today, the criticism has quieted despite the players' bowl status remaining the same.

Whether reality or perception, it appears Tressel tackled the "should they play" issue by acting nobly in protecting the program, if not the six players. He even wisely made clear that this was a family decision, undertaken with the blessing of the 24 seniors who were consulted on the issue.

Few coaches are more adept than Tressel at combining a seemingly caring heart with the shrewd strategies of an elder statesman.

You guys do read the papers, right? Outlaw State (Coach Jim Tressel) just got caught AGAIN cheating. That is the theme of this thread.

I think Tressel should have suspended the players. By not doing it, he is helping the same university that made a deal with the devil. IF he had ANY integrity he would suspended them EITHER way. By putting this dog and pony, "commit or sit"...he defending the integrity of a university that took money over honor.

The rule is bull****, but anyway you look at it...they got off easy for the bowl because the university AND the conference lobbied for money over integrity.

Tressel's tactic a shrewd solution that protects him, players, program
Friday, December 31, 2010 02:54 AM

<text deleted>

So much for Ohio State coach Jim Tressel not knowing how to draw up a creative offensive strategy. He just pulled off a masterful flanking maneuver that puts him back in charge and quiets critics who have questioned his leadership.

That may well be how its viewed in Columbus, but in the rest of the world, he is now looking like just another hack. Even his supporters on ESPN are saying that they cannot defend the deal he has made with his players. When the players don't play next fall as they went to the NFL, he will be dogged by his sound-bites for years to come.

As for a "masterful flanking maneuver", it appears more like his press releases were designed by attendees of the "Les Miles School of Clock Management." :)

BTW, has anyone heard when the bidding will start on eBay for the contents of the "gift bags" that these 5 receive from the bowl sponsors? hehehe :)

Umm, when he played ineligiable players, THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!

Outlaw State, caught, again.

He hasn't played anybody that is ineligible as of yet. And actually if he does play them in the bowl game they are still not officially ineligible. If you want to blame somebody for the players getting to play you need to point square at the NCAA.

Umm, when he played ineligiable players, THE SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!!

Outlaw State, caught, again.

The players are eligible. The NCAA has made them not eligible for 5 games next year, but according to the NCAA they were eligible ALL season. So can you point to a real time he cheated?

That may well be how its viewed in Columbus, but in the rest of the world, he is now looking like just another hack. Even his supporters on ESPN are saying that they cannot defend the deal he has made with his players. When the players don't play next fall as they went to the NFL, he will be dogged by his sound-bites for years to come.

As for a "masterful flanking maneuver", it appears more like his press releases were designed by attendees of the "Les Miles School of Clock Management." :)

BTW, has anyone heard when the bidding will start on eBay for the contents of the "gift bags" that these 5 receive from the bowl sponsors? hehehe :)

You bring up some interesting thoughts....
1st of all, since when does any ESPN guys stand up for Tressel ? The best known guy on ESPN for College game , never has said a positive thing about the school since he's left, why should he start now.

Will you be here to post your reply when the players DO return next year and NOT bolt to the Pros ? Doubtful that anyone here would have the integrity to stand up and admit it.

And your third point is even better ..... Yup, it's against the rules to have money and sell YOUR items to HAVE some money, buit it's OK for them yo get Thousands of dollars from Bowl prizes ?????

How is this allowed NCAA ????

Even better Jimbo, what would everybody say if Tressel actually sat the players for the Sugar bowl? As of right now there is nothing that says any of the players are even going to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Even better Jimbo, what would everybody say if Tressel actually sat the players for the Sugar bowl? As of right now there is nothing that says any of the players are even going to play in the Sugar Bowl.

Then I would have even MORE respect for him. As terrible as this bull**** rule is, that is the ONLY alternative he really has. The folks in Columbus might have fallen for this fluff article in a COLUMBUS newspaper...but not the rest of the country nor the rest of the national media. And after following The U since day one, perception IS everything.

Then I would have even MORE respect for him. As terrible as this bull**** rule is, that is the ONLY alternative he really has. The folks in Columbus might have fallen for this fluff article in a COLUMBUS newspaper...but not the rest of the country nor the rest of the national media. And after following The U since day one, perception IS everything.

Trust me that the majority of the people in Columbus have not fallen for this. The media is painting a nice shinny picture but the typical fan does not buy it.

...buit it's OK for them yo get Thousands of dollars from Bowl prizes ?????
It's the hypocrisy of all of this ! There are rules, special rules, exceptions to the rules, etc, etc.

What would be real interesting is are the players allowed to sell the "gifts" they receive from approved people or companies or sponsors ??? :D

The folks in Columbus might have fallen for this fluff article in a COLUMBUS newspaper...
No one in 'the bus' has fallen for anything !! If anything, they're saying "Coach had better not make them sit out!". People in Columbus a) think the players should have the right to do what they want with their stuff and b) think the punishment is too severe.

No one in 'the bus' has fallen for anything !! If anything, they're saying "Coach had better not make them sit out!". People in Columbus a) think the players should have the right to do what they want with their stuff and b) think the punishment is too severe.

All of the huge OSU fans that I know are pretty mad at the players right now and really don't care if the sit.

Do they think the punishment is to severe (5 games)... yes but so does pretty much every body else.

All of the huge OSU fans that I know are pretty mad at the players right now and really don't care if the sit.

Do they think the punishment is to severe (5 games)... yes but so does pretty much every body else.

If you ready earlier....I did the same thing these kids did and I think the rule sucks elephant piss! BUT, I KNEW I was wrong and I accepted the punishment. The RULE, regardless of how crappy it is...is there and it's a rule. THEY broke it and they are lucky they have reported this much. I am willing to bet it was more than what it being reported. They getting only the 5 games is due to the great lobbying by the university and the conference because of the $$$$.

Last edited:
If you ready earlier....I did the same thing these kids did and I think the rule sucks elephant piss! BUT, I KNEW I was wrong and I accepted the punishment. The RULE, regardless of how crappy it is...is there and it's a rule. THEY broke it and they are lucky they ahev reported this much. I am will to bet it was more than what it being reported. They getting only the 5 games is due to the great lobbying by the university and the conference because of the $$$$.

Agree 100% with everything here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)