Total Beginner's Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mekoerner

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 26, 2004
I just ran across this forum and it excited me. I am a current VOOM customer, so I was on the site looking at the VOOM forum when I ran across this forum. I know absolutely nothing about FTA, except what I have learned in the last hour perusing websites. I found a few DVB-USB devices instead of PCI cards and that got me interested. Would I be able to buy one of these and call a satellite installer to install an 18" dish and all the other necessary equipment and then be able to get free FTA channels? I am a Spanish teacher and I would love to be able to receive some Spanish Language channels such as Telemundo and Galavision. I don't feel like shelling out more money to D* or E* if these channels are free. I don't know if they are or not. I would love to know what I would need to buy, prices and any other needful information. Even though I am a woman, I am a semi-techno geek.

Here is a very updated list of what is up there for the CONUS.

http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html

You should be able to get a decent FULL SYSTEM for a modest one-time investment. Depending on your location, installers familiar with FTA/DVB setups can go either way; I did mine myself in less than 2 hours start to finish. The Fortec Lifetime Ultra and a 31" or larger dish is essential IMHO. I would also recommend upgrading to a motor.

BUT here is the link for the USB setup

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/TwinHan/VisionDTV-USB-Sat-VisionPlus-Twinhan-PCI-receiver.htm

Pointing 18" dishs to sat 82, 91, 110, and 119 are not too hard to do. A lot of watts comming off these sats to make it easier than the other ones. Do note you need a DTV/Dish net LNBF and set your LO to 11250 instead of 10750 that standard KU LNBF use.

If you drop your zip or one near you someone might list all the sats and there locations?

91 has some CBC redio and 119 has like 70 com free music channels on it.

mekoerner said:
I just ran across this forum and it excited me. I am a current VOOM customer, so I was on the site looking at the VOOM forum when I ran across this forum. I know absolutely nothing about FTA, except what I have learned in the last hour perusing websites. I found a few DVB-USB devices instead of PCI cards and that got me interested. Would I be able to buy one of these and call a satellite installer to install an 18" dish and all the other necessary equipment and then be able to get free FTA channels? I am a Spanish teacher and I would love to be able to receive some Spanish Language channels such as Telemundo and Galavision. I don't feel like shelling out more money to D* or E* if these channels are free. I don't know if they are or not. I would love to know what I would need to buy, prices and any other needful information. Even though I am a woman, I am a semi-techno geek.

You do not want to use a circular polarity (DBS) LNB for DVB/FTA signals; get the KU as Pete suggested above.

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the information! I am still doing some online research and I hope to try some things out in the near future. I went to one of the suggested sites and there was a great price on a PC USB receiver with a full system for about $180. Does this seem like a good price? I did a lot of internet searching and it looks like a good deal to me. I would probably want to upgrade to a dual line in case I want to get it onto one of my other TVs. The receivers don't pick up HDTV signals do they? Any idea of how many of the channels listed that I would be able to pick up. I live in a suburb of Columbus, OH with a zip code of 43016. I noticed that I also saw motorized dishes to receive different satellite signals. Would I need that, or would I only be picking up signals on one satellite? Like I said, I am new to this and I don't know what is available or needed.

I WOULD recommend the motor for sure. You can get the satellites between 61w and 160w and I am sure, but only the DVB/FTA KU band with these setups.

These standard receivers DO NOT receive HD.

Another question that I have. As I looked at the satellite charts I came across some new questions. I take it I would be able to receive the DVB signals, anything else? I know that NTSC are US TV signals, would I be able to receive those? Would I be able to receive the PAL channels? Also, I read in another thread that some of the network channels are in the process of moving from the Galaxy(11?) to a C Band, is that correct? I would like to be able to receive some out of town network channels and some Spanish channels. My husband will not be to pleased with me if I shell out a couple hundred dollars and not get much in return. It would be nice to get some more sports channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)