Totally Clueless

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maztoz

Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Good day to all.

We have had our BUD for 16 years. The upgrade to a 4dtv receiver occurred last year and it is great. My poor husband is far too busy to deal with all this baloney, and it seems my Satellite guy is losing touch with the industry.

Yesterday I discovered that Turner Classic Movies is on Ku band, so the time for a dual band horn upgrade has come, and it is my job, a mere clueless female regular person to figure all this out !! OY VEY is all I have to say...

So I need a Co-Rotor 2 Plus and the proper LNB's and splitters. This much I get. I will also need new coax from the horn to the house... a formidable task, but do-able...

But do I need or want a DVB unit ??? If I go out and buy all the bits and pieces will my Satellite Guy be able to put it all together??

My greatest fear is buying all the "stuff" and then old BUD is too warped or segmented or pissy or whatever :)

What say the Guru's ?? Where does a person begin ???

All help will be gratefully accepted and appreciated!!

maztoz said:
Good day to all.

We have had our BUD for 16 years. The upgrade to a 4dtv receiver occurred last year and it is great. My poor husband is far too busy to deal with all this baloney, and it seems my Satellite guy is losing touch with the industry.

Yesterday I discovered that Turner Classic Movies is on Ku band, so the time for a dual band horn upgrade has come, and it is my job, a mere clueless female regular person to figure all this out !! OY VEY is all I have to say...

So I need a Co-Rotor 2 Plus and the proper LNB's and splitters. This much I get. I will also need new coax from the horn to the house... a formidable task, but do-able...

But do I need or want a DVB unit ??? If I go out and buy all the bits and pieces will my Satellite Guy be able to put it all together??

My greatest fear is buying all the "stuff" and then old BUD is too warped or segmented or pissy or whatever :)

What say the Guru's ?? Where does a person begin ???

All help will be gratefully accepted and appreciated!!

You do not need splitters just for TCM on the 4dtv, all you will need is a dual band feed and a Ku-band lnb, if your dish has ribbon cable there may be another coax already in place, if not or if it is ribbon with one coax then you will need to run some rg6, and you will need to adjust the feed and the dish or you may not get any Ku-band.

Is your dish in good shape?
Any damage?
Can a pencil pass through the mesh holes or are they very small?

If you are using a LNBF then you will also need a C-band lnb when you want to upgrade, a DVB unit can always be added later on with the splitter and eveything.
Good luck!

Here is a list of dealers if you want to dish peaked by a pro:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=9811a651fdfd9384a1b98451298ed7d9

Thank you

Wow.
How much do I love you already!?!
I think I DO have a ribbon cable. The dish is in great shape. Nothing has ever happened to it over the years. No way a pencil could fit through the holes, it is a very fine mesh, which I understand is essential. So we are OK for that variable.

Will the adjustment to feed and Dish be something fairly simple for a Guy who has been in the industry for the past 30 years ?? Although he seems kind of "out of the loop" he still has a wealth of experience. I guess I could try to find a new guy...

I'll check out the Link asap.
Go have a fantastic weekend while I give myself a migraine :p

tdti1 said:
You do not need splitters just for TCM on the 4dtv, all you will need is a dual band feed and a Ku-band lnb, if your dish has ribbon cable there may be another coax already in place, if not or if it is ribbon with one coax then you will need to run some rg6, and you will need to adjust the feed and the dish or you may not get any Ku-band.

Is your dish in good shape?
Any damage?
Can a pencil pass through the mesh holes or are they very small?

If you are using a LNBF then you will also need a C-band lnb when you want to upgrade, a DVB unit can always be added later on with the splitter and eveything.
Good luck!

Here is a list of dealers if you want to dish peaked by a pro:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=9811a651fdfd9384a1b98451298ed7d9

If you are on a tight budget , some of this stuff can be found on ebay . But you kind of need to know what you are looking for .

Simplest way for you to get Ku on tour C band dish is the Corotor 2 . The C band LNB you already have does not necessarily need replacing . You will need a Ku LNB , but they are not too $$$ .

Yes , the dish will most likely need to be fine tuned after the parts change out .

Best of luck ,
Wyr

maztoz said:
Wow.
How much do I love you already!?!
I think I DO have a ribbon cable. The dish is in great shape. Nothing has ever happened to it over the years. No way a pencil could fit through the holes, it is a very fine mesh, which I understand is essential. So we are OK for that variable.

Will the adjustment to feed and Dish be something fairly simple for a Guy who has been in the industry for the past 30 years ?? Although he seems kind of "out of the loop" he still has a wealth of experience. I guess I could try to find a new guy...

I'll check out the Link asap.
Go have a fantastic weekend while I give myself a migraine :p

To be honest it is not that hard, if the dish is out of wack then it may take him a while tuning it but it should not be bad :)

Pansat 2500a

OK gentlemen,

My confidence has been boosted by all your help. I'll get a CoRotor 2 Plus and call my guy to get up on the roof.
Somebody PLEASE tell me what you can suck in with this Pansat 2500 you all seem to have. Do I want one too? Do you get anything facinating for free?

I'm woozy just thinking about 2500 channels :eek:

Thanks!
Mz

maztoz said:
OK gentlemen,

My confidence has been boosted by all your help. I'll get a CoRotor 2 Plus and call my guy to get up on the roof.
Somebody PLEASE tell me what you can suck in with this Pansat 2500 you all seem to have. Do I want one too? Do you get anything facinating for free?

I'm woozy just thinking about 2500 channels :eek:

Thanks!
Mz

You will also need a ku-band lnb along with the feedhorn, you can use the old c-band lnb on the new feed well if you have a lnb and not a lnbf.

I love my Pansat, it adds a few free channels so you can't complain.

I added an FTA Receiver too

tdti1 said:
You will also need a ku-band lnb along with the feedhorn, you can use the old c-band lnb on the new feed well if you have a lnb and not a lnbf.

I love my Pansat, it adds a few free channels so you can't complain.

Hi:

I added an FTA receiver to my 4dtv BUD as well. They can be gotten very inexpensively and since you are adding KU anyway......

I have found interesting channels on FTA and it is a perfect compliment for 4DTV change of pace! The FTA forum here is a great one to learn about equipment etc.
Jeff

love that avatar Gizzer !

I've been reading...seems like you need to enjoy puttering around with your system to really get full benefit from FTA equipment. I just want to press "ON" and watch a show, so I think I'll pass on this for now. Don't need the extra expense either.

Wish I had the guts to get on my own roof... Seems an easy connection job I'd be capable of doing at ground level. I'm willing to bet my Sat-Guy sends some youngster up there with little to no experience. That gives me the whillies :(

Just found a guy on Ebay selling the Corotor and both LNB's for a great price! Better go warm up the ole' paypal account...

Everybody cross your fingers for me!

Good Luck

maztoz said:
I've been reading...seems like you need to enjoy puttering around with your system to really get full benefit from FTA equipment. I just want to press "ON" and watch a show, so I think I'll pass on this for now. Don't need the extra expense either.

Wish I had the guts to get on my own roof... Seems an easy connection job I'd be capable of doing at ground level. I'm willing to bet my Sat-Guy sends some youngster up there with little to no experience. That gives me the whillies :(

Just found a guy on Ebay selling the Corotor and both LNB's for a great price! Better go warm up the ole' paypal account...

Everybody cross your fingers for me!

You are somewhat correct about FTA, but there are more than hobbiests out there!! (I am a hobbiest). Figured what the heck, I had a nicely functioning 4dtv 8ft bud, why not add something new to it. It is fun and some of the Picture quality is as good as the 4dtv.

Anyway, I know what you mean about the roof...gives me the willies too. I would rather pay someone than fall off myself!

When I get to mount the dedicated FTA dish, it will go down low on the house's side. Luckily my BUD is only about 6 ft above ground so I just swing it east and get on a 2 step stool to get at it!!

Luck in the Auction!
Jeff

Lowering Bud (maybe)

Jeff, you made an interesting point. If my dish was lowered off the slanty carport roof we could work on it ourselves. I'm having a helluva time finding somebody. In addition, the pole upon which Bud stands is a rusty mess and at the very least needs a good paint job.

Query: How does one determine just how high the dish should be off the ground?

usually you try to get as close to the ground as possible while still maintaining a line of sight to all satellites that you want to recieve from. Keeping it low helps with maintainence and safety (being on top of a roof) issues.

site survey

maztoz said:
Jeff, you made an interesting point. If my dish was lowered off the slanty carport roof we could work on it ourselves. I'm having a helluva time finding somebody. In addition, the pole upon which Bud stands is a rusty mess and at the very least needs a good paint job.

Query: How does one determine just how high the dish should be off the ground?

I had not really needed in for a LONG time though and then only when I lost the servo motor. If I have done any adjusting, like last year, the lower height came in handy!
The requirements are that the dish be able to "see" where it needs to (the Belt) and then that it be convenient for you. (More ribbon cable too or at least moving what is there). You need to also plan for the trees if any, becoming larger! I finished triming back a monster tree that was just starting towards the dish's view last fall. Made a monster mess I have to clean up this spring!

They have fast drying cement these days which makes it easier. If you do plant a new PLUMB pole...I suggest that you have some type of iron welded onto the bottem of the post to keep it from ever turning in the cement. I think we used 2 railroad spikes on mine..a long time ago! Been thru 90 mph winds and never turned yet!

Regards
Jeff

my bud

my bud is a 7.5' sami mesh with c and ku lnbf's. It is only 6 feet or so above the ground. The 3.5" pole is four feet in the ground with 2 pieces of 1/2" diameter rebar passing through the pole in the cement. I have ten bags (80 lbs per bag) of cement around the pole. It is easy to work on mine so low to the ground.

I would dread working on a bud with a tall pole, there is a bud across town that has to be 20 feet in the air. Maybe rent a helicoptor to work on that one-LOL:)

I did a servomotor replacement on a 7.5 BUD that was 10 feet in the air BUT when I went to re-set the skew I found the dish was leaning and could not get all of the Sat's. I Put the old level on the pole and it was indeed leaning. Then I pushed on the Pole and it was LOOSE in the ground. They had used the quick setting concrete that had NOT set up properly and the dish would wobble around fairly easily. I dug around the OLD Crappy concrete mess and broke off the loose concrete and drilled the pole to put a long bolt in the pole. then I plumbed the pole and held in place with 2x4's while I poured new CORRECTLY MIXED concrete in place up to a pre-formed area above ground level I allowed this to cure overnight and I came back the next day to break the forms and to remove the 2x4's. As far as I know the customers never had any more problems. That goes to show you that the CONCRETE (fast or regular setting) MUST be mixed PROPERLY for it to do its job to hold the pole in the ground. I bet there were a LOT of dishes set up this way leaving the customers with future problems.
The customers were happy enough to upgrade to a 4DTV soon afterwards. :)
BryanSR

drhydro said:
usually you try to get as close to the ground as possible while still maintaining a line of sight to all satellites that you want to recieve from. Keeping it low helps with maintainence and safety (being on top of a roof) issues.

Also helps with the wind load .

Wyr

With much Appreciation...

Just wanted to thank all of you for your support.

Installation of the new horn went smoothly. Ku signal is strong and we are very happy.
You guys are great. Thanks a million for being there to instill confidence in the wary. Yet another BUD has been saved from obsolescence, thanks to all of you!
Take care,
Mary

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)