Got my 922 of course I'm clueless

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lonewolf is there a difference in the 922 that won't let the guide come in?

I've tried it 3 or more times now. It's sitting on G1-3 DC light is on and signal quality is about 90. Aftere comes back on and I push guide button says no guide information available.

Nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? How long should I need to wait?

If the previous owner canceled, the "Guide" needs to be turned On by a Programming Service.
Satelliteprogramming.com was nice enough to turn it on for me, even though I could no longer get the A la Carte channels I wanted.

Lonewolf is there a difference in the 922 that won't let the guide come in?

I've tried it 3 or more times now. It's sitting on G1-3 DC light is on and signal quality is about 90. Aftere comes back on and I push guide button says no guide information available.

Nothing.

Am I doing something wrong? How long should I need to wait?

Your just spinning your wheels, if your decoder number is not authorized because of a previous package from the past owner, it won't turn on if you sit on G1-3 forever. Just grab some cheap alacarte like Tv Land or Scifi through Skyvision (best price) and it will be on plus ALTV.

Skyvision A la Carte Satellite TV Programming

My guide renews annually in Feb, last year NPS forgot to turn it back on (I have subs) one phone call and I was back up and running. If they kill me next month again I'll call them again no big deal.

If lonewolf's guide is turning on it must have an active tier bit in the system that keeps getting renewed by mistake if he has no programming. You are not that lucky.

Last edited:
If lonewolf's guide is turning on it must have an active tier bit in the system that keeps getting renewed by mistake if he has no programming. You are not that lucky.

I don't know about that this unplug replug method works on all 4 of my 4Dtv and those 920 I just got had been siting on the shelf non subscribed for years. There is no way that those have an active tier bit in the system.
All I am saying is that you can git the guide on a non subscribed 4Dtv. I am not saying that it is all that reliable and in fact it is quite annoying to have to do the unplug replug to git the guide everyday. I whould agree that for a reliable guide sub to a alacarte.

Thanks tvro you are probably right. I won't worry about it until I get subscribed.
Just was kind of a tease when I first turned it on and there was a guide.
I think the NPS hit turned it off.

Lonewolf are any of the ones you have 922's?

thanks

I don't know about that this unplug replug method works on all 4 of my 4Dtv and those 920 I just got had been siting on the shelf non subscribed for years. There is no way that those have an active tier bit in the system.
All I am saying is that you can git the guide on a non subscribed 4Dtv. I am not saying that it is all that reliable and in fact it is quite annoying to have to do the unplug replug to git the guide everyday. I whould agree that for a reliable guide sub to a alacarte.

The 920 may have a way it turns on the guide when you do a soft reset but when it gets a hit it shuts it down unless you are subscribed. I don't think that works on a 922 or 905. I always had the guide since my 922 has been subbed since day one. I bought it for watching channels I mostly subscribe to.

Thanks tvro you are probably right. I won't worry about it until I get subscribed.
Just was kind of a tease when I first turned it on and there was a guide.
I think the NPS hit turned it off.

It would have caught up with you anyway since the data stream is active. You sped it up by doing a rehit.

I got it subbed. The guide came immediately.

What do they do? Send data to all known unsubscribed ID's and tell them
to turn off all other features?

I know there is a data stream. But it has to be one way because I'm pretty
sure the receiver doesn't transmit :cool:

I got it subbed. The guide came immediately.

What did I tell you ;)

What do they do? Send data to all known unsubscribed ID's and tell them
to turn off all other features?

I know there is a data stream. But it has to be one way because I'm pretty
sure the receiver doesn't transmit :cool:

The receive doesn't transmit. The guide has a tier bit just like any channel and can be turned on and off.

Who did you sub with?

I'm trying a W5 package through SRL. That way I shouldn't need to move the dish much.
I see I must have messed up the sat map or not set my limits correctly because
the receiver couldn't find G1 last night.

I'm working with an ancient dish and mover here. Which is part of the problem I'm sure.
The mover used to have a potentiometer and was used with a manual dish mover.
I installed a reed switch and put some magnets on the shaft.
Was working fairly well with the semi modern analog receiver.

This is probably a pilot error problem :D

Thought I had all the sats programmed in. But when I programmed in W5 and some of the sats further east, some of the west sats are out of wack.
This is probably a limits problem or something related.
Should probably go back a read the manual :rolleyes: Last resort right :confused:
To get the guide it's got to at lease find G1 and hopefully back to W5

I felt pretty stupid this morning when my wife wanted to watch something and there was no guide.
I reset the G1 sat got the guide. Then W5 moved??? I'll get this sooner or later.

I'm trying a W5 package through SRL. That way I shouldn't need to move the dish much.
I see I must have messed up the sat map or not set my limits correctly because
the receiver couldn't find G1 last night.

I'm working with an ancient dish and mover here. Which is part of the problem I'm sure.
The mover used to have a potentiometer and was used with a manual dish mover.
I installed a reed switch and put some magnets on the shaft.
Was working fairly well with the semi modern analog receiver.

This is probably a pilot error problem :D

Thought I had all the sats programmed in. But when I programmed in W5 and some of the sats further east, some of the west sats are out of wack.
This is probably a limits problem or something related.
Should probably go back a read the manual :rolleyes: Last resort right :confused:
To get the guide it's got to at lease find G1 and hopefully back to W5

I don't know if the 4D can work with a 10 turn pot system, if you swapped it to reed it should work. You could be loosing count's though or your arm has play and slop. I know that over time they get sloppy.

W5 is where most of my channels are I have some on G3 also currently. To update the guide daily you need to go to G1. I usually put the dish on G1 at night and let it do it's thing then It's good to go the next day.

Yes I absolutely changed the mover to reed switch. The analog receiver would not work with the pot either.

I just mounted the switch close to the shaft and glued some tiny neodimium magnets to the rotating shaft.
I just had one on there originally, and that did work. Then I went to 3 to get more accuracy.
I was pretty clueless as to how many mags there should be.
Now from this sight I found some drawing that show 4 mags.
I don't know you would think it would be somewhat flexible :rolleyes:

If I remember right the limits go from somewhere around 4200 to over 5000 on the west. Don't remember the exact amount. I'll check it tomorrow.
I suppose the more counts the more accuracy.

No, when I got the guide this morning on G1-3 the signal was perfect.
The guide finished and was there.
Some time later in the day it just said information unavailable. Like before when there was no guide.
Of course the subbed channels are on W5.
Not going back to G1 until tonight.
Pretty poor.

Sometimes You have to rehit the 922 to clear that and get the guide to be stable. I've seen that on my unit usually after the power has been interrupted. Since I got a UPS I never see that, but a rehit solved it in the past.

I set the dish on G1-3 last nite before bed.
This morning the guide was there.
I'll check it later in the day and see if it's still there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts