Totally new UI? Ever?

I would say that the current GUI is a lot better than cable DVRs but leaves much to be desired when compared against Tivo

I don't think DirecTv's GUI is better than the cable ones that have come out in the last year or two. It probably really depends on what boxes they use in your area.

there are three different boxes in use around here, I used to have a SciAtl box with the Pioneer software, my mom has a SciAtl box with the SARA software, and some friends have a Motorola box. None of them are as good as the DirecTV software. I won't say the DirecTV boxes are great, but they're better than the 3 major cable boxes out there. I will say that there are aspects of Dish DVRs that I wish DirecTV would pick up, and the ultimate is Tivo..I'm a tivo fan and if the DirecTivos ever come out I'm first in line.

I know this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it recently....

What are the odds that we get a totally revamped look to the UI at any point in the near future?

I love my DTV service, and I know picture quality and channel selection are more important, but we have to have the most archaic UI going these days. Seeing other people's UI's on FIOS, U-Verse, Tivo, Dish, even cable... it seems like we're behind almost all of them.

Maybe the problem is I'm looking for some really cool HD-looking stuff but D* uses the same UI for all of its boxes, HD or not? Or maybe it's a horsepower issue - I know the HR's aren't the most responsive of boxes as it is...

Wow! I'm not an evangelist for DirecTV's interface, but we are currently messing with the FIOS HD DVR to see if we could live with it if we switched. The answer is no. In our opinion, the FIOS box hardware and user interface are the worst in the industry-really awful. On it's worst day, DirecTV's interfaces are better than FIOS. Just our opinion. I feel weird defending anything DirecTV does........

Still, a new and better UI would be nice......TiVo even better.

IIRC fios uses motorola boxes right? I think they're just standard cable boxes (which are complete crap)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)