Traditional Providers Losses, 1st Quarter 2023 Edition

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Comcast just reported video subscriptions continued to decline with 614,000 customers cutting their subscriptions.

Peacock gained 2 million, but the losses continued, I keep hoping the service gets better, but it really sucks, I can honestly say there is nothing on Peacock that interests me, hoping things get better this fall since Big Ten left ESPN to go to CBS/Paramount+ and NBC/Peacock.

Makes you wonder how long that Cable will hang on to video services since no one is wanting them anymore. Spectrum is making it with Internet prices. Started in 2008 and I got internet for like $49.99 a month and now paying $99.00 a month plus taxes and fees. So my speed is up to 300 mpbs but more like 255 mpbs. I could get ATT fiber cheaper with 1 gig, but I despise using ATT for anything. FEE city. :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder how long that Cable will hang on to video services since no one is wanting them anymore. Spectrum is making it with Internet prices. Started in 2008 and I got internet for like $49.99 a month and now paying $99.00 a month plus taxes and fees. So my speed is up to 300 mpbs but more like 255 mpbs. I could get ATT fiber cheaper with 1 gig, but I despise using ATT for anything. FEE city. :rolleyes:
No additional fees these days on AT&T Fiber. The advertised prices include the gateway rental. Installation is free and you get a Visa gift card if you sign up online. They're not even doing first-year promo pricing now, so there's no price jump after 12 months. My parents had it and their monthly bill was exactly the advertised price (although you might have sales tax added, depending on where you live). Their plans now start at 300/300 Mbps for $55/mo if you're on auto bill pay (or $5 more if you're not). It's super-reliable. If you like the pricing and don't mind using their gateway (as opposed to your own router), there's no reason not to use them IMO, unless you simply have an emotional dislike of AT&T.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
You are overpaying, I get 1 gig for the same price from Spectrum, not a promo price.

No TV from them of course.

FWIW: I have AT&T Fiber and AT&T Wireless. I actively dislike AT&T, but that is also true of Verizon, T-Mobile, Spectrum, and Frontier who are my other options for wireless and broadband. I can't win on an emotional level, so I went with the solutions that work best for me after trying them all. I pay $69.99/month for AT&T Fiber symmetric 1Gb service. No taxes or fees of any kind where I live. I actually tried Spectrum's 1Gb service for free about 16 months ago. The latency compared to AT&T was a deal breaker for my wife, who works from home. It didn't make any difference for my work or streaming, but I guess it could for gaming since it affected her workflow.

I am paying the same thing for 300 down from Spectrum. I have 5G, so for another $25 a month, I can add internet for 250-300 down. I am thinking of trying it and see if I like it. I have heard good things.

YouTube Premium is the service I watch the most, all of these streaming services other than YouTube could disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't miss a single one. YouTube lets me watch the local news and weather, the monologue for all the late shows, videos of my interests (cars, technology and politics) plus all the music I want to listen to. More content than I have the time to absorb.

Charter just reported-

Residential video customers decreased by 237,000 in the first quarter of 2023, compared to a decline of 123,000 in the first quarter of 2022,

so with Comcast losses, already at 851,000 with just two cable companies reported

missed Fios a few day ago-

Verizon registered 74,000 Fios Video net losses in the quarter

So with Charter, Comcast and Verizon Fios, already at 925,000 with three cable companies reported.

Yup, no surprises, Peacock losses were forecast as such. Losses down vs last quarter, and subscribers up 60% from last year.
Well, not on this board.

But its going to get better, right? Prosperity is just around the corner, right? Its gonna make money, it is it is it is, right?

Because in 2024 or 25 X is going to be different because ___________?

You fill in the blank.

BTW, the gleefully posted quarterlies are for PROFITABLE companies.

Unlike streaming.

Pop goes the bubble.

Well, not on this board.

But its going to get better, right? Prosperity is just around the corner, right? Its gonna make money, it is it is it is, right?

You fill in the blank.

Unlike streaming.

Pop goes the bubble.
You do know that Netflix had a net income of 1.7 Billion dollars, as other streaming services gain more subscribers, that will put them on the road to profitability.

As Traditional Providers lose more and more subscribers, their profits will quickly dwindle .

As the losses already shows ( almost a million down with just three companies reporting), my prediction of 6-8 million gone this year from Cable/Satellite Providers looks to be coming true.

By the way, those leaving so far are from providers that still have the RSNs.

At the rate of losses, 6-8 million this year, 8-10 million next year, that is another, 14 million gone at least, the RSNs cannot afford the loss of that many per sub fees.

Even if Diamond survives Chapter 11, they will be right back in 2-3 years.

Well, not on this board.

You fill in the blank.

Unlike streaming.

Pop goes the bubble.
I mean, you read and quoted part of their financials, did you stop reading them when you saw what you wanted to hear?

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

Ok, let us see if you can actually answer this question instead of avoiding it with another rant-

In 2015, before Live TV streaming, Traditional Providers had 100 Million Subscribers ( out of roughy 125 million households at the time).(Households).

Now, at the end of First Quarter, looks like about 66 Million Live TV Subscribers ( out of now 129 Million Households) , which includes 12-14 million subscribing to Streaming Live TV Services.

That leaves , roughly, 34 Million Households that no longer get a paid Live TV Service, where do you think they went?

Still waiting for that blank to be filled in by either of you.

Pop goes the bubble.

Still waiting for that blank to be filled in by either of you.

Pop goes the bubble.
I'm not the one making predictions, im deferring to the businesses that are.

Meanwhile, you order that standalone Sunday Ticket you told us 50+ times that would never exist, insulting us along the way, including a few times AFTER it was confirmed? lol.