Traditional Providers Losses, 4th Quarter 2023 Edition

Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
It is that time again, Verizon Fios is first up, negative 62,000 TV Subs, but it added 284,000 broadband customers, including 231,000 5G wireless home internet customers.

The increase in Broadband shows even more seem to be dropping TV or never subscribing in favor of internet, which you can get TV Programming via the streaming services.

Today, Verizon Wireless announced its 4th quarter earnings for 2023. With that, they announced total revenue of 35.1 billion, a drop of about 0.3% compared to the 4th quarter of 2022. Verizon lost 62,000 Fios TV customers as Verizon continued to move away from TV and shift customers over to YouTube TV.

Comcast report up Thursday, Charter next Tuesday

Comcast lost 389,000 Video Subscribers.

Also loss 34,000 Broadband subs, but gained 310,000 wireless subscribers.

So total video losses in the 4th quarter are at 451,000 with just two companies reporting.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Comcast lost 389,000 Video Subscribers.

Also loss 34,000 Broadband subs, but gained 310,000 wireless subscribers.

So total video losses in the 4th quarter are at 451,000 with just two companies reporting.

Other items that caught my attention:

1. Peacock subscriptions increased by 3 million in Q4, even before the NFL playoff game exclusive.
2. Peacock revenue surpassed $1 billion.
3. Universal was #1 in worldwide box office in 2023, knocking Disney off the top stop for the first time since 2015.
4. Much like Disney, their theme parks are nicely profitable.

Other items that caught my attention:

1. Peacock subscriptions increased by 3 million in Q4, even before the NFL playoff game exclusive.
I am so curious what the 1st Quarter/2024 will be because of that game.

Based on the losses the last two years for Cable/Satellite and the gains for Paramount/Peacock/Hulu/etc, people are coming to understand they are getting the same content plus the exclusive stuff, for a much less expensive price.
2. Peacock revenue surpassed $1 billion.
That one surprised me, if it was not for the Big Ten/NFL being on there, I doubt I would have it even at the $20 special, their exclusive content is awful in my opinion.
3. Universal was #1 in worldwide box office in 2023, knocking Disney off the top stop for the first time since 2015.
The partnership with Blumhouse is helping with that, making low to medium budgeted movies, huge profits if a hit.

For example, M3GAN's Budget Was $12 Million, marketing was only $10 million.

Total box office was $180 Million, then all the money it made from Home Viewings and secondary sales.

4. Much like Disney, their theme parks are nicely profitable.
Been to Universal twice since moving here, new park opens up in 2025.

Helps they sell a fast pass , which Disney does not do, hate waiting in line.

Last edited:
Been to Universal twice since moving here, new park opens up in 2025.

Helps they sell a fast pass , which Disney does not do, hate waiting in line.
Yeah, the last time I went, I stayed on property at one of the premium resorts which included unlimited fast pass. Made a huge difference. The resort was really nice and much more affordable than what Disney charges for a similar quality. We'll definitely go back when the new park has been open for a while and the bugs are all worked out.

Yeah, the last time I went, I stayed on property at one of the premium resorts which included unlimited fast pass. Made a huge difference. The resort was really nice and much more affordable than what Disney charges for a similar quality. We'll definitely go back when the new park has been open for a while and the bugs are all worked out.
When I bought this house, my daughter and I came a few days early and stayed at the Hard Rock, unfortunately it was summer of 2020, so most of the things to do at the resort was shut down or limited because of Covid.

When I bought this house, my daughter and I came a few days early and stayed at the Hard Rock, unfortunately it was summer of 2020, so most of the things to do at the resort was shut down or limited because of Covid.
We stayed at the Royal Pacific in 2021. Masks were still required indoors, but other than that, most things had already gotten back to normal. We had a much nicer time than the last few times we went to WDW.

On broadband gains, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T, combined to add 839,000 5G home internet subscribers in the fourth quarter.

Now, solid gains, but since Comcast only lost 34,000 Broadband subscribers, shows they are holding on to their customers, most of these gains must be from new subscribers or moving on from sub-standard speeds.

5G really needs to expand to be a major success, or add devices for those further out from the towers, like a outdoor antenna.

Where I live, is considered, in my opinion, semi rural, every house has about two acres, houses are about 4000 sq feet and above, well, septic and so quiet vs where we lived in Metro Detroit.

My old house back there has 3 options now, T-Mobile, Verizon and Comcast.

But here, I barely get any signal in the house, but outside, I get full 5G signal now, so a 5G outdoor Cell Antenna would help a lot.

Now I get Charter now, but personally would not mind a 5G Service for back up, for the last week, Charter was putting in new lines in my neighborhood, so service was in and out, would of been great to just switch over while that was going on, specially since I was working on a report for work and needed to do research.

On broadband gains, T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T, combined to add 839,000 5G home internet subscribers in the fourth quarter.

Now, solid gains, but since Comcast only lost 34,000 Broadband subscribers, shows they are holding on to their customers, most of these gains must be from new subscribers or moving on from sub-standard speeds.

5G really needs to expand to be a major success, or add devices for those further out from the towers, like a outdoor antenna.

Where I live, is considered, in my opinion, semi rural, every house has about two acres, houses are about 4000 sq feet and above, well, septic and so quiet vs where we lived in Metro Detroit.

My old house back there has 3 options now, T-Mobile, Verizon and Comcast.

But here, I barely get any signal in the house, but outside, I get full 5G signal now, so a 5G outdoor Cell Antenna would help a lot.

Now I get Charter now, but personally would not mind a 5G Service for back up, for the last week, Charter was putting in new lines in my neighborhood, so service was in and out, would of been great to just switch over while that was going on, specially since I was working on a report for work and needed to do research.

Just a reminder that 5G Home Internet can be great, or it can suck, just like all wireless technologies:

I for one, would never switch from decent DOCSIS or Fiber connection to fixed wireless.

I for one, would never switch from decent DOCSIS or Fiber connection to fixed wireless.
I would not either ( not like I have a choice), but as I wrote, have it as a back up.

But with the monthly bill about to go up, might price themselves out of that consideration.

Just a reminder that 5G Home Internet can be great, or it can suck, just like all wireless technologies:

My T-Mobile is just so,so. Speeds are all over the map. Average maybe 20mp? And our cable is horrendous! T is not worth$50, more like $30.

I remember when DiSH was celebrating adding 100k for 5 mo. in a row. But that was as far as it went. Acknowledging the dealers for it? Not. No, they were in sell it, sell it, sell it mode. They were self-congratulatory. Fergit service. I called them and asked why they were running over the dealers & communities and was told because Charlie wanted it that way.

Karma, I love her...though she can take her time.

My T-Mobile is just so,so. Speeds are all over the map. Average maybe 20mp? And our cable is horrendous! T is not worth$50, more like $30.
More like $0. Half of our devices would not recognize it.

Charter/Spectrum just reported a big loss, 257,000, which for some reason they tried to blame on the Disney dispute, which happed in the 3rd Quarter, was solved in the 3rd quarter, so,of course, had no impact on 4th the 4th.

Other news, lost 61,000 Broadband subscribers, some will consider that not a big deal, but they also said the same about cord cutting when it started in 2017, when the early losses were in those thousands range, look at how that went.

Other news, Charter/Spectrum is now the #1 Video Provider, not because of gains, just losing less then Comcast(#2) and DirecTV (#3 with 4 services added together).

So total video losses 708,000, with only 3 reporting so far.

Charter/Spectrum just reported a big loss, 257,000, which for some reason they tried to blame on the Disney dispute, which happed in the 3rd Quarter, was solved in the 3rd quarter, so,of course, had no impact on 4th the 4th.

Other news, lost 61,000 Broadband subscribers, some will consider that not a big deal, but they also said the same about cord cutting when it started in 2017, when the early losses were in those thousands range, look at how that went.

Other news, Charter/Spectrum is now the #1 Video Provider, not because of gains, just losing less then Comcast(#2) and DirecTV (#3 with 4 services added together).

So total video losses 708,000, with only 3 reporting so far.

Charter lost 16% in share values after the report.

Unfortunately , they are more affected by Cord Cutters and also Broadband losses to 5G services, so this is probably going to continue.

This shows why expanding into other areas can be good ( if it works out), as Comcast has done by buying Universal.

Something has to give here, I'm not sure how many more quarters the traditional providers can sustain of subscriber losses like this.

Charter lost 16% in share values after the report.

Unfortunately , they are more affected by Cord Cutters and also Broadband losses to 5G services, so this is probably going to continue.

This shows why expanding into other areas can be good ( if it works out), as Comcast has done by buying Universal.
They also added over 500k cellular subs. FWIW

I know Wall Street isn't patient, but the backlash against fixed wireless has begun with throttling and price hikes here and forthcoming respectively, so Charter is probably going to see a lot of those lost broadband subs back eventually. It will just be a higher churn rate for a while.