Trans-atlantic communication cable picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took me a moment but I thought that was a fiberglass ladder and some poor atempt at industrial art. I remember seeing a pic of an old undersea phone line trunk and the thing was as thick as Roseannes thigh.

If all of trans-oceanic communications were via satellite there could be a global communication shut down caused by the sun, hardware or software malfunction, or warfare. Redundancy is very important. That is why there continues to be land line backup.

It took me a moment but I thought that was a fiberglass ladder and some poor atempt at industrial art. I remember seeing a pic of an old undersea phone line trunk and the thing was as thick as Roseannes thigh.

Thats impossible, nothing man made can get that big.

I thought most if not all communications across the ocean are handled by satellite?

Voice comms are mostly terrestrial. The time lag up to a satellite in geo orbit and back is something like a quarter second. Just enough to be annoying.

Voice comms are mostly terrestrial. The time lag up to a satellite in geo orbit and back is something like a quarter second. Just enough to be annoying.
A quarter second? The time lag calling my daughter in Kenya, on her cell phone, is more like 3 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)