Transfer Timers between DVRs

voripteth

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Aurora, IL
How do I transfer my timers between DVRs?

I'm on my third DVR in two months and manually re-entering timers is quite annoying. :rant: Even worse is the shows now on summer break so they aren't in the program guide so I can't even create a timer. Hopefully I'll remember to add the timer again in the fall.

I'm thinking it should be pretty easy to copy all the timers to a USB memory stick and transfer it between DVRs. Does any model of DVR do this? If not, can we get a petition together so Dish does add it? (I did have my last CSR write it down as a request.)

No can do. Three DVRs in two months sounds like there may be a problem on your end...electrical, poor ventilation, etc. What model?

No can do. Three DVRs in two months sounds like there may be a problem on your end...electrical, poor ventilation, etc. What model?
With the 722k you can do this via the remote.

With my 622 I took photos of the screens showing the list of timers and manually typed them in to the replacement. :mad:

Last edited:
With the 722k you can do this via the remote.

I may be wrong, but I think that the intention never came to pass. At least when I asked about it when I had to replace a K, that's what I was told.

I may be wrong, but I think that the intention never came to pass. At least when I asked about it when I had to replace a K, that's what I was told.
I know that it appears to work when I back up my timers and settings to the remote weekly. (A splash screen tells me the backup was successful.) I have not tried to go the other way and restore that data... I've not heard anything about it not working until reading your post.

EDIT I just backed up my 722k timers to my TV2 remote. I next deleted a timer - so I could see if indeed I could restore my saved settings to the 722k. I can't figure out how to it. :confused:

Last edited:
You were given the wrong info again. The remote for the 722k will store and transfer timers.
But, buddy, have you actually transferred them? I could not. I asked the group after I failed to get it done as I was supposed to be able to:eek:

After I posted the question I did see the remote setup wizard which offered to back up my timers. Of course the question still remains, just how do I restore them from the remote?

As for the equipment issues, my complaint was with the "black screen / no audio but menus still work" on the 722. I was pretty certain that the issue was introduced with the last software update. Dish sent me out a replacement 722 which demonstrated the same behavior. Next time they sent out a service guy who replaced my 722 with a 722k. I haven't seen the same problem yet. (The DVR did crash and reboot on the day of install, though.)

Any idea if the 922 has the same remote transfer capability just in case I decide to upgrade in the future?

Yes you can. I did about a year ago when my 722K died. IIRC, in the wizard, it will ask you wich way you want to go.
I believe I have at one time or another seen such a screen, but I can not seem to be able to find that option. :confused:

After you save them the next time you use the feature there will be the option to transfer them.
Again, i saw that one time, and that was almost a year ago.

I save the timers to the remote approximately weekly and I am not seeing any option to restore the timers to the 722k.

I do get a message after saving the timers that I was successful.

looking at it right now.

Again, i saw that one time, and that was almost a year ago.

I save the timers to the remote approximately weekly and I am not seeing any option to restore the timers to the 722k.

I do get a message after saving the timers that I was successful.

It's under the advanced tab. Then the back recvr settings choices are full system backup, back up rcvr settings, & back up remote settings. Once you have dwnld the setting into the remote then the option in advanced you can then back up the remote settings to the DVR.

It's under the advanced tab. Then the back recvr settings choices are full system backup, back up rcvr settings, & back up remote settings. Once you have dwnld the setting into the remote then the option in advanced you can then back up the remote settings to the DVR.
I am not getting that option to appear, as I have been saying.

I am using the TV2 remote (RF) and I am in Single Mode.

I am still waiting for someone who has actually done it. AFAIC, it can't be! Was supposed to, didn't become reality.