Transfer TIVO DVR Show to 2nd DVR (Panasonic)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mitch5252

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2004
I have DIRECTV w/TIVO and have recorded all of the first 3 episodes of the new show LOST.

I would like to transfer these shows to a DVD, using my Panasonic DVR so I can mail them to my friend to watch.

Can this be done? If so, can you please explain how? Talk down to me, please...I'm new to this and quite inexperienced! :)

Thanks!
Michelle

It's a dvd recorder, I think. But what's the difference? (told you I was new; i.e. DUMB, but I'm not a blonde! :) )

Thank you for the welcome and for the quick reply. Now a new question; same subject...

Can the Panasonic be hooked up in such a way to play back both sound and video on the TV once the recording is made? (does that make any sense...I'm being fed these questions by my better half...okay, not better, other!)

Thanks!

mitch5252 said:
Thank you for the welcome and for the quick reply. Now a new question; same subject...

Can the Panasonic be hooked up in such a way to play back both sound and video on the TV once the recording is made? (does that make any sense...I'm being fed these questions by my better half...okay, not better, other!)

Thanks!
Your Welcome :) Hook the Panasonic Audio and Video(or and S-video) outs to the corresponding inputs on your TV. If it was me I would hook the Tivo thru the Panasonic, then into the tv to check and monitor the Recording.

No, I think it may, but I am not sure. See it is like I could burn all 400 CD's I own and give them to whoever I want, but I cannot sell them or use them commercially. When it comes to TV I really don't know ... but I do know that is the MPAA's problem with TiVo and similar devices.

Hmmmm...broadcast television, commericals and all, trying to get a new person "hooked" on the show. Do ya really think the producers are gonna mind? I vote no. And besides, this is personal use - I'm personally interested in seeing that my friend loves the show as much as I do! ;)

Well I do know (or think I know) if you leave the commercials in it would not be a problem. The more I think about it, the issue arises when there is monetary gain. Anyone here work for the big 4 and know?

Not trying to make trouble for ya ... just curious about it.

mitch5252 said:
It's a dvd recorder, I think. But what's the difference? (told you I was new; i.e. DUMB, but I'm not a blonde! :) )
DVR = Digital Video Recorder
Usually means take a video signal and record it onto a hard drive for later playback. Strictly speaking, a Tivo is a DVR, albiet a superior one compared to some other models. Some DVRs are no more sophisticated than a VCR.

A "standalone Tivo" (i.e. not a Direct TV receiver) takes video from an external box (cable tv or satellite) or over-the-air and records it at a user-selectable quality level. The higher the quality, the less overall recording time you have.

In the case of the DirecTivo the video isn't coming from some other box via a cable but from the satellite receiver itself - it stores the compressed video onto the hard drive for later playback and the picture/video signal is identical to the original program. Thus, the DirecTivo doesn't have any recording quality settings like a standalone Tivo does.

DVD Recorder
A device that can take a video program and 'burn' it onto a writable DVD disc. This is usually a "set top" box that works pretty much just like a VCR, except you are writing to a DVD disc instead of a tape. Some of them also have a hard drive for recording shows so they are dually a DVR and a DVD recorder. Note: Media for these differ... you need to make sure that you get the blank DVD's that match your recorder- there are DVD-R (DVD 'minus R') and DVD+R (DVD 'plus R') formats, and nearly all DVD Recorders will only handle one or the other but not both.

DVD Burner
This term usually refers to a drive that goes into a PC for burning DVDs. They don't accept video signals directly- the PC has to have some way of getting the video onto it, often via a 'capture card' to take a video/audio signal and store it on the PC hard drive before burning to DVD. You also have to have some kind of software on the PC to write video to them.

If you simply want to record video onto a DVD from a source (DVR, VCR, video camera) I'd suggest a set-top DVD Recorder rather than a PC-based solution.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)