Transformers BR gets 5 Star Audio

WOW!! Look at this part:

Guess what folks, I was WRONG. The lossless Dolby True HD track here smashes the Dolby Digital Plus track in every way imaginable. If the HD-DVD track rates a 5, the Dolby True HD track rates a 7. To start off, lets look at the bass response. The bass here is much richer and fuller than that on the HD DVD release. The Blu-Ray release rocks the house. I also found the dynamics on the BD release to best the HD DVD release by a wide margin as well. This is a reference audio mix if I ever heard one. I also found the imaging and channel separation to be better giving the audio a much deeper image, allowing you to hear into the sound field much further than the HD DVD release which sounds a tad flatter in comparison. FInally, the audio on the BD disc is much smoother and open without even the trace of hardness, even much more so than the HD DVD. You can really crank this baby up without any issue of listener fatigue. Hearing loss? Well, that is another story.

IN CONCLUSION

This disc is a fun ride and one the entire family can enjoy. It a reference disc for audio and video and will really show off your system. If you have this release on HD DVD, I can assure you that a double dip here is warranted as the audio is that much better on Blu-Ray. Crank it up and enjoy

Humm ok where are the guys who are going to say he is WRONG!!:rolleyes:

Sounds like we have the next Cloverfield quality audio release. Cant wait. Lets face it, what good are the HD audios if you cant just have a movie with **** blowing up left and rights that way to loud and has great bass :D

Next time my inlaws are up, Im popping in Cloverfield for him :)

Humm ok where are the guys who are going to say he is WRONG!!:rolleyes:

I'm aware what he said. The Transformers Blu-Ray thread on AVS is alive.

Notice, the video didn't improve despite the higher bitrates. No one can even blame VC-1 this time even as both encodes are AVC. "Nature's Journey", now Transformers proves that Blu-Ray does not look better than HD DVD. Now, sound is another matter.

Filmmixer is questioning all of them on the DD+ vs. TrueHD. I can kind of take him at his word, as he's forgotten more than I will ever know.

Honestly, a double blind level matched test is needed vs. a reviewer doing a half-assed calibration on his couch with a SPL meter. (I doubt Peter Bracke even did that.)

Ill admit, once I saw Bayformers on HDDVD, I was thinking it may have been hard to top the PQ. Glad to hear that first comments say the audio is pumped up. As already stated, I really enjoyed cloverfield and would like to hear more audio like that on action flicks.

I think Death Race would be a prime candidate for good PQ and audio.

I hope they are also right that the speech has a high enough volume, I hate having to cut things down in action scenes, then cut them back up afterwards.

I'm aware what he said. The Transformers Blu-Ray thread on AVS is alive.

Notice, the video didn't improve despite the higher bitrates. No one can even blame VC-1 this time even as both encodes are AVC. "Nature's Journey", now Transformers proves that Blu-Ray does not look better than HD DVD. Now, sound is another matter.

Filmmixer is questioning all of them on the DD+ vs. TrueHD. I can kind of take him at his word, as he's forgotten more than I will ever know.

Honestly, a double blind level matched test is needed vs. a reviewer doing a half-assed calibration on his couch with a SPL meter. (I doubt Peter Bracke even did that.)
Video did not improve? Why would it? Same AVC was it not? The point is the sound improved and sounds like its not any small margin! Possibility for more extras if need be with out running out of space seems pretty good for us don't you agree??

"Guess what folks, I was WRONG. The lossless Dolby True HD track here smashes the Dolby Digital Plus track in every way imaginable."

QFT.

I might rent it.

Video did not improve? Why would it? Same AVC was it not?
Because higher bandwidth was one of BD big claims.
The point is the sound improved and sounds like its not any small margin! Possibility for more extras if need be with out running out of space seems pretty good for us don't you agree??
You best believe BD made sure that this movie more then any other would be perfect. I knew for months this would be their pet project. Looks like they hit it out the park. I believe its better considering DD+ is the lowest HD audio versus BD with months to perfect a comeback using a high bandwidth codec. That being said we hear what we want to hear, what we expect to hear, making a need for a double blind test. Technologically on specs how could BD not win versus DD+ but then again the higher bandwidth spec didn’t pan out with PQ?

Last edited:
Again why would it!? I am sure they did not use more bandwidth for the Blu ray version. I would like to see the specs maybe they did!? I have my doughts but who really knows at the moment?

You are thinking about Warner. They (Paramount/Dreamworks) did use a higher bitrate for the video encode. Even Universal bumped up the video bitrates for The Mummy movies.

It will be interesting to see what the bitrate is and how it compares to the HD-DVD version. Maybe they spent the bit budget on picture and had to scrimp on the audio track. Now they have the bit budget for the lossless audio track.

Because higher bandwidth was one of BD big claims. You best believe BD made sure that this movie more then any other would be perfect. I knew for months this would be their pet project. Looks like they hit it out the park. I believe its better considering DD+ is the lowest HD audio versus BD with months to perfect a comeback using a high bandwidth codec. That being said we hear what we want to hear, what we expect to hear, making a need for a double blind test. Technologically on specs how could BD not win versus DD+ but then again the higher bandwidth spec didn’t pan out with PQ?

If the video codec was unchanged then an increase in bitrate would not deliver differant picture quality. I do not remember any complaints with the HDDVD version as to macro blocking or poor visual quaility. In fact if I remember correctly, there was not a lossless audio codec on the HDDVD so that the studio could provide the best picture possible. Given their direction then, why would there be any differance in video quality?

Now as for the audio, this has been hashed over here time and time again. Debate about wheather a true lossless audio codec would sound better then a lossey one. Technically speaking a true lossless audio codec done correctly with enough bitrate to support it should sound better then a lossey one on equipment that will support it.

Any signal that is bit for bit without need for compression and uncompression to calculate that bit for bit transfer is always going to be the better signal for reproduction of any type of signal, and that goes for video and audio. But as I said, this has already been debated till the shoes fell off.

If you have the equipment and can enjoy the DolbyTrueHD then do so. If you already have this on HDDVD then the questions begs -- why even worry if one outdoes the other -- just enjoy the version you have.