Transparent Menu – How it’s working for me

Vicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Rocklin, CA--near Sacramento
On the download from last night on my HDTV set, apparently I got the transparent menu, but I’ve accidentally discovered a couple of things:

1. When I used the red, surf next button while on 6.1, it jumped directly to 100, but was still transparent.
2. When I used the channel up from 58.1 (the last local channel I am currently getting signal for—at least sometimes), it jumped to 100, and went back to solid.
3. Planned to stop playing then and come write a post for my local area (Sacramento) so turned the satellite off. Needed to double-check something before I sent that post, and when I turned it back on, the transparent menu was back, my pictures were all fine, but my satellite showed red. Tried turning it off for just a few seconds and then back on, but satellite was still red, pictures were still fine, and menu was transparent again.

Wish I had more time to play with that right now, but I don’t. :( Just thought I’d throw it out to see if anyone else is having the same type of experience.

If anyone is interested about details of channels pulled in by the scan (I added about 10), I'm posting a list in "Sacramento Area Channel Scan"

Vicki

I haven't been able to see it at all and I have tried all the "tricks" posted on the forum. Maybe some people's software has it and some doesn't.

kaw

I just switched my STB from outputting 720p to 1080i. I can get transparent to work in 1080i, but not in 720p. Would someone else try this to see if they're getting similar results? When I switched back to 720p, no more transparent surf bar.

I'm 480i (until big purchase).

I got it to work by setting the power on - full TV. However, I locked up my box and had to reboot when I did this. It was transparent for a while and then went back to solid.

I am not going to mess with it again, just wait until the feature is working. At 480i, it's not like I am even using this service to the full potential anyways.

Yeah, I tried it also Sean, it doesn't work for me on my box. I am using DVI at 1080i. It isn't a big deal though, I just wanted to see what it looks like on my tv. Thanks for your help.

kaw

EDIT--I was finally able to get it to work. It does not work when I power on in full mode, but it did work once when I went to the system settings, then went to tune signal or something, then pushed watch. I have to go deeper into the system settings for that to work though, it does not work from the main system settings menu. Kinda weird it works differently on some boxes, overall it is a neat change.

Well, I just inadvertantly discovered this also before I found this post. I was checking my settings on the new box I got 2 days before they sent out this update. I was looking at how to get my local ABC channel to show the entire picture, the bottom is cut off. ON my regular 4:3 19"er the local comes up in a box in the middle of the screen, looks really wierd. On the main HD set, it comes up stretched vertically, and the bottom of the picture is cutoff. So I was playing with the Picture options menu and when I exited, i noticed the bar was transparent. Just confirmed, it seems that no matter what menu choice you make, just hit the WATCH button to return to the current channel and the menu bar becomes transparent every time. Strange, but would be nice if it was permanently like that. ... Hmmm .. just tested something again... Made the menu choice, got out and started surfing the channels via the menu bar, never do that, but decided to test it. I switched to a local NBC channel and the bar is still transparent.Just flipped around to random channels, SD, HD, local, digital, it is still transparent, been so for a good 5 minutes.

Augurr

Oops, just found out how to kill it. Hit the Voom button then exit. Goes back to black. Heh.. just switched it to transparent again, this is getting to be fun.

It remains transparent unless you touched the VOOM button. Even the program planner when it launches is transparent and if you hit the info button it will transparent again.

Sean Mota said:
It remains transparent unless you touched the VOOM button. Even the program planner when it launches is transparent and if you hit the info button it will transparent again.

I guess the round-about point I was getting to was that you don't have to reset the box to get the transparent bar back, just enter the setup menu. Everyone else is setting it to standby to get it back, no need.

Augurr

Does anyone really like the transparent menu? Yuck. On my box, when I'm in "transparent mode", and I bring up the Voom menu or the Favorites menu, both menus are VERY FAINT, and hard to read. After I select a program from either menu, the box switches to opaque mode. In opaque mode, when I enter the Voom or Favorites menus they are easily readable. :)

That being said, I do like the transparent mode when just surfing using the channel bar, just not on the regular menu's when there is no picture behind it!

-John

I like the transparent surf bar. I do not think I would like the transparent menu. The surf bar is cool because you can still see information behind it while surfing. I leave mine not with transparent surf bar because I can see behind it information that was not available before. Fox example, ESPN-HD bar.

shaun-ohio said:
i dont have no transparent bar on mine and i got the new software upgrade

Go to the system settings by hitting Voom, green button and then instead of using back button use the watch button. kawdog reported that he had to go deep into the system settings menu and then hit watch button and you will see the the transparent surf bar. Don't hit the VOOM button after watch.

Here's a nifty trick to get to the transparent menus.

If you don't have Playboy, tune to 701. (or just tune to a channel you don't get) Wait for the "Call Voom..." message. Press the Voom button. Wha-la transparent menu. :) Hard to read, isn't it?

-John

I can get the transparent menu by putting on the settings than watch button, but it never stays. Once I change channels it goes back to opaque. How do you get the transparent menu to stay ?

I've tried all the tricks but no transparent surf bar here. I guess I'll have to wait for the next update to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)