Transponder selection & strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.
how old is your dish?

silversurfer01973 said:
How old is your dish? When the phase III dishes first came out there was a batch of them that was affected by cold temps....

2 weeks.

I have a service technician coming tomorrow to fine tune the alignment. It's something I would like to do myself, but I am just not clear on the "tools". Aside from the wrench, don't you want a meter or, shouldn't there be a D* channel that gives you a tuning graphic (like a bullseye, or multiple signal strength meters)...and doesn't require an active card. It is just sillly to run from the attic to the home theatre to see if the signal is strong.

In other words, if I could use my old Hughes receiver connected to an old 12" TV and tuned to a good tuning channel, fine. But without that I guess we call the tech that has the meter.

Unless one of you knows the secret recipe...

If your Hughes rx is between 1 and 4 years old, you don't need an active card to check the signal strength and it should have all three satellites at the signal strength meter (not all at the same time). If it is too old, it may not list the 110 satellite (or 119 for that matter). And...is your dish mounted in your attic?

greyghost said:
If your Hughes rx is between 1 and 4 years old, you don't need an active card to check the signal strength and it should have all three satellites at the signal strength meter (not all at the same time). If it is too old, it may not list the 110 satellite (or 119 for that matter). And...is your dish mounted in your attic?

The dish is indeed on the exterior of the house, just outside an attic window. ;)
So my Hughes silver edition box can be used for tuning through the menu system...but is there a particular station that is best for alignment?

If by "station" you mean channel, then no, you don't want it on a channel for alignment. You want the signal meter which you can find in the menu. Choose the 110 satellite and adjust the dish for the strongest signal. Then check the other satellites and all transponders on each to make sure you have consistently strong signals throughout. But again, if ALL transponders on the 101 and 119 satellites are in the 90s, and the 110 signals are in the 40s, then this is NOT an alignment issue. There is no adjustment you can make (skew, elevation, azimuth) that will not also affect the other two satellites. All adjustments affect all satellites. That is why I said originally that, if the transponders on the 101 and 119 are all in the 90s, then the 110 should also be, automatically. Only a faulty LNB, dish, or LOS issue can cause the problem you have. It's been a few days now. Has anyone been back to your home for this issue?

Re-aligned.

The dish was professionally re-aligned yesterday. All 3 sats are now at 88%+. That was 3pm.

What remains to be seen is what happens at night. If indeed I lose Sat C, as before, I assume I have a bad LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)