Transponders

seavu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
I am still learning about the ins and outs of satellite TV. Why is it that different TP's give different signal strengths? My "local" channels are on TP 15 and with rain fad my signal suffers. Other TP's give on average (for me) 70 to 80%. With 13-14-15 TP's I get on average 60%. I must also add that I have a tree that is not in my favour, introduce heavy rain and it gets worse.
thanks,
seavu

just has to do with the power they send out....With ExpressVu, some of the TP's are on a different satellite, like 1,3,7,9,11, 25 and a couple more. these peg the meter on most receivers in the footprint (in MN, these pegged a 100). Yet others were at a 70

Most TP's on Nimiq1 should be around 70-80 if you are within the footprint :)

Thanks iceberg..I am well in the footprint..location N.S. Those TP's 9,11,25 etc are on the old DirectTv and give me the greatest signal. I've tried a bigger dish (24") with little improvement, so the tree limb out front has to go I quess to get a big jump in signal strength. BEV book says to set signal strength with TP 11, however, I get near 80% on 11..but 13-14-15 best I can get is 58-60%. With rain the picture craps out on those TP's. Location location...mine is not the best.

unfortunatelly, the ExpressVu book is outdated. When they put up Nimiq 3 (the DirecTV antenna) you really cant use 11 anymore, since its stronger. I always say 13 & 14 sicne they are on Nimiq 1

Sounds like the tree branch is the culprit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)