travel channel - is it HD?

merk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It says it's supposed to be HD but it doesn't seem to be. Watching a recorded episode of anthony bourdain and its definitely not hd. and i could have sworn that one of the last episodes i watched on directv or twc of bourdain was in HD.

is the travel channel in HD? is it just that some shows aren't in HD?

It says it's supposed to be HD but it doesn't seem to be. Watching a recorded episode of anthony bourdain and its definitely not hd. and i could have sworn that one of the last episodes i watched on directv or twc of bourdain was in HD.

is the travel channel in HD? is it just that some shows aren't in HD?

You most definitely did not watch it in HD on DirecTV as they are one of the few remaining providers without the Travel Channel in HD. Still, some older episodes were not shot in HD.

Look for the big HD watermark in the title bar. Remember, Dish displays the SD version right next to HD version, so it is easy to grab the wrong one.

Even their SD stuff is partially widescreen. Travel does a partial zoom on all old SD stuff.

It could have been on TWC that i saw an HD version of bourdain. I only just recently had twc installed to compare it against directv and now dish (dish wins in my opinion).

I'll double check to make sure i added the HD channel and not the SD channel.

I watch that show and it IS in HD. They actually had an episode a while back dedicated to how the show has grown where they actually showed the HD cameras they use now in comparison to the 'old crap-I believe is what they said' they used to use.

I watch that show and it IS in HD. They actually had an episode a while back dedicated to how the show has grown where they actually showed the HD cameras they use now in comparison to the 'old crap-I believe is what they said' they used to use.
There was an episode that was recorded yesterday (or maybe the day before) it was basically him interviewing other foodie people - it was definitely not in HD, at least for me anyhow.

Was that episode in HD for you? If so then i guess i selected the SD channel by mistake. If not, then i guess maybe those interviews were from past shows that were not done in HD. Do you know of any other shows on the travel channel that should be in HD so i can check against that?

thanks

Hit your info button while watching your recording and you'll have your answer. Easy to accidentally select the wrong channel and get the SD version. I've done that here when in a hurry. One way to avoid that is to set up a guide with custom channel selection leaving out the SD versions of those channels while including SD channels you want that don't have a sister HD version. That works for me now.

I've actually already done that - the custom channel list (can you believe the TWC dvr box doesn't let you do that??). I was though having some confusion as far as shows being recorded for tv1 and tv2 - the 2nd tv is not set up as HD. If the box thinks tv2 scheduled a recording, will it automatically record it in SD?

I was a little confused with the whole tv1/tv2 single/dual mode thing. I've since switched the box over to single mode. Although i'm not sure if there are any shows scheduled to record that are still marked as TV2. I thought it would still record the HD version and just downscale it to SD if i play it back on tv2.

I'll dbl check when i get home to make sure it's the HD channel.

ok something is wrong. Happened to have the same episode recorded on the TWC and it was in HD. I checked and there's only one travel channel for me to select and according to the channel listing from dish, it's HD (channel 215)

I'm looking at travel on both dish and twc and its obviously HD on TWC but not on dish.

Any ideas why?

on the phone with dish support and they are saying the travel channel is SD - but some of you have said you get it in HD? also their own paper listing says it should be HD as well.

ok - found out why i wasn't getting in HD - they didnt add the HD programming to my package. Could have sworn that was added - why would i order an HD receiver and not get that? oh well - $10 more isn't too bad - $53/mo now