Tripod Mount Q's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
If it turns out I need more height to clear my roof, I'm contemplating using a 5' tripod mount and 8-10' mast on my veranda/balcony/patio/whatever. So, I have a few questions:

1. How big is the footprint on the 5' tripod? I don't wanna lose too much floor space on the veranda.
2. Can I use some type of pipe from Home Depot as the mast? Or, do I need some official mast antenna/dish mast?
3. What about attaching the mast directly to veranda wall, to save floor space? I know there are mast brackets for mounting standard TV antenna masts to walls. Do they have something like that for the wider OD of satellite masts? Also, would that be difficult to make plumb?

Thanks.

A Winegard DS2076 mounted on a ten foot post placed in a tripod stand mount doesn't sound like a great idea!

Could the included mast and tripod supports be wall mounted?

If not, use standard home improvement store 1 5/8" OD pipe (though thicker the wall the better) and have a muffler shop weld on a few mounting brackets to bolt into the wall studs. Washers behind the mounting plates to shim the post into level and be very careful well intalling to hit the side to side for plumb.

Could a non-penetrating mount be placed on the roof with a neoprene pad??

Last edited:
If it comes to it, I guess I'll go with pipe mounted to wall. Tripod sounds like a bad idea!

But, as I mentioned in my other post. I was able to get G10 by removing the motor and mounting the dish directly to the Winegard mast with 12" extension. (I was also using that extension with the motor.)

I think the added height from removing the motor is what did it. So, I think all I need is another 12". Is there such a thing as a 24" mast extension? I suppose I can attach a piece of pipe to the Winegard mast. But, an extension fits so nicely onto the existing mast.

There is such a thing as post extensions, but for faster service and a customized install, take your current mast to a muffler shop and have them bend and cut pipe exactly to length? They might even drill the holes for you ...... Spay paint it with textured gray and you are in business! Rather than waiting for a week or so for an off the shelf solution, have one in an hour.

Hmmm. Interesting. I might do that. But, those kinds of places are generally quite busy around here on weekends and Mondays. Plus, I'd have to disassemble everything. Maybe I'll order one, and wait a week.

I've been searching via Google, and haven't found anything yet. Only 8" extensions. Are there any web vendors that you folks recommend?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts