Trouble accessing Galaxy 28 (89w)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ttwalk

Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hello all,

I've been sporadically working with FTA. Each year our organization receives a broadcast from our parent church on New Year Eve. For the past few years the bird of choice has been 89w. The dish was mounted near the steeple 55+ feet (I must add, it's a chore to walk up and down the ladder for anything, especially when you can't hit the bird in a reasonable time and carrying tools, receiver and tv). Recently, we moved the dish to a lower flat top roof and purchased a used USB Birddog. (I've never used a meter in the past but based on its battery longevity, I suspect I need to purchase a new battery). In the past it has taken me a couple days to lock in on 89w. I will order a battery soon, but in the mean time what advise / tips would you give if I want to proceed in locking in on this bird so I'm not in the elements for lengthily periods of time using a receiver and tv.

Thanks for your help,

Walk

Welcome to the forum Walk. I'm going to assume you are trying to point a stationary ku dish. To try and minimize the time on the roof, set up the dish angles with an angle finder. You can get those measurments here..Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com
This should bring you very close. Have you asked the congregation for knowledgeable assistance? You may have an avid FTAr in the midst:)

Thanks. Yes I have asked if anyone who had knowledge could assist. I will take your suggestion.

also if you are aiming the dish make sure you have an active transponder to aim the dish at
On 89W there is one with BYU TV..its a pretty strong transponder

11887 H 6665

Thanks. I should be able to try all of the tips /suggestions on Thursday afternoon. I also ordered a replacement battery. Hopefully I will receive it before the weekend. I will keep you updated.

Walk

Stop the presses. Now I am concerned! ! I just learned that we will not be using Galaxy 28 this year. We will be using 91w Galaxy 17 ku. I thought there weren't any active transponders on that bird. Also "The List" doesn't show any. Will the birdog or any meter lock in on a bird in this condition. There is only going to be a 10 ~15 minute test window before service starts. I have eleven days to come up with plan. Has anyone had any success with this? Or have any suggestions.
As always, thanks.
Walk

There is also an uber strong data transponder too
11855 frequency
V polarity
5000 symbol rate

It may not show channels but will show signal on a meter. Actually any of those transponders on thelist that say "data" will work fine to aim the dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)