Trouble getting RMA for bad box

aaronmb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
NY
I posted a few weeks ago about glitches with my box since day one. In hindsight I should have just returned it to best buy during the return window, but I kept it.

Long story short, Last Wednesday It decided it was not a dvr any more. After two calls to Orby tech support and them having me reboot multiple times, the box will no longer boot up anymore.

Support agent had to talk to his supervisor, they surmised it was a bad box that had been slowly degrading.
He said he would request an RMA for me to send the box back for a new one.
So far no RMA has been received, called Thursday and the person I spoke to said he was generating a new RNA as he could see no record if the first.

By the time I am done it us going to be a month without service, poor customer service in my ooinion.

I was willing to give this new service a try, and when the box worked properly I was happy with it.

But If this is not resolved soon I am gonna cut my losses and take the $300 gift card $54 a month offer Dish keeps sending me.

I posted a few weeks ago about glitches with my box since day one. In hindsight I should have just returned it to best buy during the return window, but I kept it.

Long story short, Last Wednesday It decided it was not a dvr any more. After two calls to Orby tech support and them having me reboot multiple times, the box will no longer boot up anymore.

Support agent had to talk to his supervisor, they surmised it was a bad box that had been slowly degrading.
So far no RMA has been received, called Thursday and the person I spoke to said he was generating a new RNA as he could see no record if the first.

By the time I am done it us going to be a month without service, poor customer service in my ooinion.

I was willing to give this new service a try, and when the box worked properly I was happy with it.

But If this is not resolved soon I am gonna cut my losses and take the $300 gift card $54 a month offer Dish keeps sending me.

Call your local Dish retailer if you have a good one and you can probably get the $300 gift card and maybe more. New customers pay $59.99 a month with a DVR and you can lower that by $12 a month if you don't need the local channels.

I still would not pay dish prices. I would definitely try getting ahold of another person with orby.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I still would not pay dish prices. I would definitely try getting ahold of another person with orby.

I do not want to go to dish, actually had a dish install scheduled when the Orby dvr went on sale for $99..
I am just not impressed with Orbys customer service relative to defective equipment. The support people are nice, and speak English, which is a huge change from DTV.
But they should just send out a new box with a return box for the old one, no 2 week run around trying to send the old one back.

I was a DTV tech, saw brand new boxes DOA, others died within a week. Cheap Chinese electronics. I understand. Just replace the box that probably cost $20 to manufacture.

Reactions: truckracer
I do not want to go to dish, actually had a dish install scheduled when the Orby dvr went on sale for $99..
I am just not impressed with Orbys customer service relative to defective equipment. The support people are nice, and speak English, which is a huge change from DTV.
But they should just send out a new box with a return box for the old one, no 2 week run around trying to send the old one back.

I was a DTV tech, saw brand new boxes DOA, others died within a week. Cheap Chinese electronics. I understand. Just replace the box that probably cost $20 to manufacture.
I would also imagine as a start up company they have some bugs to work out. I have started businesses over the years and sold them. Startup and getting a system of procedures in order takes some trial and error. You also have to surround yourself with innovative goal oriented people. That's a real struggle these days.
So far for me I have no issues. Just positive experiences.
If I have a major breakdown like a faulty receiver I may find different.
I cannot help but feel like you need to find the right person within the Orby organization who will know how to help you.

I emailed support a couple days after this post, they shipped me a new box. RMA box came a couple days later. Took longer than it should, but since a new business I give benefit of the doubt.

Super nice to talk to US based reps that actually understand English. Took longer than it should, hopefully they improve that, but not a bad experience.

Is based customer service goes a long way with me.
I was a DTV tech, after ATT took over even our tech line was mostly offshore, and they were USELESS. The old DTC tech service center could do stuff with me on the line in a couplle min. Offshore, " please hold fir up to 2 min6 while I process your request".

One tion they had added and deleted over 40 OLI's before they kinda fixed the work order, and cost me an unpaid hour on the ohone.

I emailed support a couple days after this post, they shipped me a new box. RMA box came a couple days later. Took longer than it should, but since a new business I give benefit of the doubt.

Super nice to talk to US based reps that actually understand English. Took longer than it should, hopefully they improve that, but not a bad experience.
I was surprised when I spoke to an orby CSR. A polite well spoken American with a California accent. Very intelligent guy. I was impressed.

Sent from our Pleadian star ship

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts