trouble locating 119 from Miami

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sunblock90

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I have a triple LNB elliptical dish that is too small. I am using two dual lnb's off of two separate 3foot dishes then to a multiswitch for 4 out. I can get 101, no problem with a strength of 97. 119 should about 15 degrees to the right of the 101 bird, but no joy. Not even a ripple. I have the RCA box set to elliptical with 3 lnb's. Any advice on locating 119 for Latin stations from Miami. Is there another bird I can use?

Thanks

sunblock90 said:
I have a triple LNB elliptical dish that is too small. I am using two dual lnb's off of two separate 3foot dishes then to a multiswitch for 4 out. I can get 101, no problem with a strength of 97. 119 should about 15 degrees to the right of the 101 bird, but no joy. Not even a ripple. I have the RCA box set to elliptical with 3 lnb's. Any advice on locating 119 for Latin stations from Miami. Is there another bird I can use?

Thanks

Have you switched the LNB's to make sure they both are working? The one you are using in the 119 position may be bad. So, switch them and see if you still get 101. Also, double check all your wiring to the 119 LNB. Another thing you might want to try is upgrading to a multi-sat dish (a.k.a triplesat, Phase III, or oval). This dish has three LNB's nicely put together with a built-in multiswitch (all one piece), unlike your setup which has three separate LNB's with a separate multiswitch. You should be able to pick one up off eBay for a pretty low price (lower than you find at a local retailer).

sunblock90 said:
119 should about 15 degrees to the right of the 101

Math doesn't equate.

If you look at the settings for each bird via Miami Fl (33196) you will notice a difference of 20.6 degrees using the magnetic (Az m) compass setting. Huge elevation difference as well.

Sat Name ** Sat Lng ** Az(t) ** Az(m) ** El
DirecTV 1 ** 101.0W ** 220.9 ** 226.4 ** 52.2
DirecTV 5 ** 119.0W ** 241.5 ** 247.0 ** 38.0

positions for 119 and 101.

OK thanks. I may have got the math wrong. I will try right and higher. I bought the triple LNB RCA elliptical package, but the dish is too small to get the signal where I am. That is why I am trying to use two Para Todos dual LNB's on two 36" dishes. I could try to use the one piece, triple LNB and send the signal to the Hughes Para Todos multi-switch, but the built in multi switch signal out of the triple LNB may not work because it has its own multiswitch built in.

You would think a valid high school diploma would get me through this.

just kidding.......

sunblock90 said:
OK thanks. I may have got the math wrong. I will try right and higher. I bought the triple LNB RCA elliptical package, but the dish is too small to get the signal where I am. That is why I am trying to use two Para Todos dual LNB's on two 36" dishes. I could try to use the one piece, triple LNB and send the signal to the Hughes Para Todos multi-switch, but the built in multi switch signal out of the triple LNB may not work because it has its own multiswitch built in.

You would think a valid high school diploma would get me through this.

just kidding.......

I see no reason why the triplesat dish won't work for you unless there is something blocking the line of sight. I was in Miami visiting friends & relatives (in Jan '04) and saw a ton of triplesat dishes being used.
If you go to the setup menu on your receiver, change the dish type to the three LNB and enter you zip it will give the direction and skew to set the dish so it can hit all three sats (101,110 & 119). It's kinda touchy but if you have a sat meter (available off eBay for about $10) it would help alot.
How old is you receiver? If it is an older model it might not be compatable with multiple LNB setups. I was doing a dish upgrade back in Dec for a Spanish family who had an older receiver that wasn't compatable. I called Directv and got them to upgrade the receiver at no additional cost.

sunblock90 said:
I will try right and higher.

If you were behind the dish trying to get 119 it would be right and lower

sunblock90 said:
I could try to use the one piece, triple LNB and send the signal to the Hughes Para Todos multi-switch, but the built in multi switch signal out of the triple LNB may not work because it has its own multiswitch built in.

Right, you do not need an additional multiswitch, unless you will be feeding more than four IRDs

119 and 101 - I got it -Thanks

I finally found the sweet spot for the triple LNB elliptical dish from RCA. I wanted the latin stations off of 119 and do not care about HDTV off of 110. The best I could manage by taking my tv and one receiver to the roof was about strength 50 on all three sats 101, 110, 1nd 119. I had an older Para Todos Hughes dual elliptical dish that came with two LNB's. I mounted each one on its own 3 foot dish, then ran the two leads into the hughes multi switch. After two days of wiggling 3 foot dishes around I finally ended up with strength 96 off of 101 and strength 91 off of 119. I get all of the latin stations and a couple of extra music audio stations. Thanks for the help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts