True fta Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Johnny-d

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Badger State
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help I'm trying to get some true FTA channels but not having much luck maybe If I list what I got someone can't help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!!!

I got a Ultra with factory bin 146
got a 121 Superdish FSS stacked LNB

I've been able to hit 119 or the viewsat says on a couple TP set like this

tp 12030 quility 40
tp12147 Quility 0-12
power on
lnb standard
disc off

I'v also hit another bird
azmth about 7 degrees higher
almost due south
thinking it might possible be a Galaxy at 181 maybe 17????
but I can"t get more than about 20-24 Quality
blind scan no channels

I'm in the badger state maybe I'm trying to hit a sat thats to weak for the rig I got!!
Tried to figure out witch sats were strongest for my neck of the woods but I just have never been able to figure out Lynsat
So if anyone sees something that looks wrong please let me know
I know a bigger dish and a better LNB would probable help but working part time don't really allow for that at this time.
So again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Even if nothing else a stronger bird to shoot at ???
Thanks in advance for any input
johnny-d

First thing I learned is that the Satellites do not "broadcast" their names - so just because the Viewsat says it's on a said Sat, it may not be. It's just that you locked a Transponder on the list of the Satellite "you" have selected in the Viewsat.
Second thing I learned is that Sat Receivers are not "Plug N Play", it's up to you to enter the proper LNB, Switch, and Location info AND properly aim the Dish.

Johnny-D,

First, welcome to SatelliteGuys forums!

Second, the satellite with the bulk of the FTA channels and one that is the easiest to detect/dial into is Galaxy 19 @ 97.0°W. This satellite is centrally located so that pretty much everyone in N.A. should have a LOS for it - barring any site specific obstructions like trees in your yard, buildings etc.

RADAR

Transponders - TheList (link on the top of the pages here) Program into receiver to aquire Quality.
Where to point it at - dishpointer.com
(??) doesn't a stacked have to have "special'programming ??? from an earlier post:
Who knows what satellite you had, without proper L.O. programming, the transponder frequency it shows means little. The names in the receiver can be anything you want. For G19Ku I have mine to read 97 Ku G19

Thanks for the info guys!!
And Thanks for the Welcome AcWxRadar :)
I guess I'll be doing some more reading didn't realize you could also program TP info in manually.
Thanks Again,
Johnny-d

Welcome Johnny to satguys......and keep reading you will figure it out.

Hi ke4est

Thanks for the Welcome, I think I found me a new home,

Haven't been playing with this stuff for a long time, all the old hangouts are gone (bummer).

but I got all this old equipment hanging around so I figured maybe I could find a use for it ;)

I got to find my manual that should be intresting.

Hi ke4est I got to find my manual that should be intresting.

Well, I was going to suggest you look here in the FTA Receiver Manuals section but I see that it's gone now?? Must have been a casualty of the hack the other night. I'm sure that Scott will have that back up shortly though.

And on another note, some of those old receivers won't do S2 and not much else except an AZBox will do 4.2.2 although some have mentioned, that may be on it's way out. Maybe Iceberg or someone else can verify whether the Viewsat Ultra can do S2. I expect that as soon as you can get your dish aimed and start scanning satellites you'll probably want to upgrade to a newer receiver since a good bit of the content that's ITC now is S2.

The Viewsat Ultra is SD, mpeg2, dvb-s only. Should be good enough to find a sat although the tuner isn't very sensitive. Mine missed a lot of channels with a blind scan.

Hey guys I'm still stuck how come I only can find circular sats like 119, 110 with a linear head???
yes I have checked and rechecked I am hooked up to the fss stacked lnb, no switch I'm 3 ft from the disk,
with a portable rig. and on 119 when I blind scan I get channels named Echo001 Echo002 ect.on one 110 signal is pretty weak quality about 24-26 I don't get no channels but : tp Freq. 12224 tp1 I believe ?? As always any imput would be greatly apprecated.
Thanks again
Johnny-d

Try for SES-1 at 101w that is an easy one for me to get it has some strong transponders. my soincview receivers did the same thing when I was at 103w it said I was on 119w just have to ignore it. but go to SES-1 first and go from there.

Dan Rose

Dave's home what do you mean? SES-1 is a linear satellite its right next door to directv 101w bird both satellites are at the 101w. If you scan SES-1 you can come up with polish channel, dutch channel, and the pentagon channel and the hotel mux channels those are scrambled.

Dan Rose

Hi danristheman,

When I first started doing the FTA thing years ago they use to call sat. names like:

DTV=Dave

DishNet= Charlie

Nimiq's = Bev

Sorry old habbits die hard.

Johnny-d

If you are getting 119 fine try going a little to the west and dropping your elevation a bit and shoot for 125W AMC-21. You will find several PBS channels there. Go to www.dishpointer.com and enter your address to get the angles you need.

Ok just what kind of lingo you were using but my first satellite was SES-1 I always go back to it if i get lost following the arc. Look in to a mircoHD from satelliteAV top of the line receiver.

Dan Rose

HI Everyone,

I'm hitting another sat more South (about 191 degrees)than 110 or 119 Sig 70 Quality about 22-28 whenever I
Blind scan I get no channels :confused: I was reading here that the viewsat doen't have a great tuner

Here is the question then I believe I have a Pansat around here somewhere old like 2300 does

anyone know if the tuner is any better in that box I guessed the viewsat was newer so I would

try it first??????

Last edited:
Hi danristheman,

Thanks for the tip on the mircoHD from satelliteAV seems like it the box of choice around here!!

If I can get what I got working than I can start mentioning some up grades. maybe Christmas present.

I had trouble when I got started but it took some time for me to get used to things in FTA. Its fun finding new things that are on.

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts