Status
Please reply by conversation.

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
Hi Guys,

This weekend I went out to my Dads home in the country and must have spent about 20 hours on his satellite system in an attempt to get him some true FTA channels. His existing system is a Gi 650i receiver with 10 foot Wineguard,Chaparral polarotor,Von Weise actuator, and a Drake LNB. I can receive a few of the analogue channels so I know the system is working.

When I go to the analogue transponder 16 on Galaxy 16 at 99.0°W I receive it with very good quality. When I connect my Coolsat 5000 I cannot receive any channels. Like I mentioned in the beginning I have spent many hours with different setting trying to make this work.

Here is what I did in the setup. I connected the Coolsat to the LNB and used the 650i to control the polarity.I went to the dish setting screen and setup the following:

Satellite: 99.0 Galaxy 4r/c
LNB type: Single
LNB Freq: 5.150

At the bottom of the screen it displayed:

Level: 99% (green)
Quality: 65% (green)

I then attempted to program in the channels using Auto scan, Blind scan, and Manual scan. Neither option would add any channels

I spoke to a friend this morning who asked what files were programmed into the Coolsat. He said if the Coolsat has bins that were used before it may not work for true FTA. I got the receiver used so I have no idea what files are in there. He said I might need to install the original factory files. Does this make sense to anyone?

At this point I am very frustrated. I am sure that there is something very simple that I am missing. I would sincerely appreciate any help that is provided.

Thanks

Steve

Right now you are on vertical polarity and there isnt much on vertical. On the analog reciever (the 650i) change to channel 17 then try to reblind scan. There is much more on the horizontal side than the vertical. See thelist
http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=C+99+Galaxy+16

you have the info right on the Coolsat 5000. You should pick up some items on 99W Horizontal. If its weak signal, the dish may need to be moved a little bit. Analog is way more foregiving than digital is

third party Coolsat firmware:

If you are unhappy with hacker firmware, you can go back to factory.
However, it has several problems.
This 3rd party firmware for the Coolsat 5000 and 6000 would be preferable.
http://ftafirmware.freehostia.com/

But first, do what Iceberg said above.

Thanks for all the great information guys.

I have tracked many dishes back in the day and feel confident on that end. I am beginning to think that the dish is no longer any good. The dish has not been used in over 15 years so maybe it got hit as it is located in area with vehicle traffic. When I installed the dish out of the box it worked great.

I am reading on the forums that people are using 6 footers for FTA C-Band here in Canada so my 10 foot should be more than enough. I have a 10 foot Kaultronics in storage so maybe I will give that a try on the weekend.

Thanks again!

Steve

just out of curioustiy you mentioned in the 1st post that you had a green bar and 65 quality....what transponder what that on? On a Coolsat 63 is the threshold of a signal

install---manual scan shows the 1st transponder. It sounds like the dish just may be slightly out of alignment

The signal levels that I documented were from the main menu where you select the satellite. Unfortunately I did not notice what TP I was on. Am I correct in assuming that a 10 foot (in Southern Manitoba) should more than adequate in receiving C-Band FTA? A few people have suggested that my tracking might be out. Galaxy 16 is close to the top of the arc for my location. I connected my Pico-Peaker and cannot squeeze anymore signal out of this satellite.

Thanks

Steve

maybe the Chaparral polarotor is busted since you mentioned the dish has not been used in 15 years, those blue boxes do not have a long lifespan, specially in Canadian weather but answer this first, you mentioned you were able to watch the Shepperd's Channel on TP 16? are you able to watch the Fox Feeds on TP 17? if you are able to watch both, then the polarotor is working since one is V and the other H polarity, if that's the case then I would try to see if I could get a better LNB, do you know what are the specs on that Drake LNB?

I once tested that 99 Satellite with a Gardiner LNB and my 7 foot dish, Shepperd's Channel in analog was coming in picture perfect but I was not able to get much DVB, none of the Puerto Rico/Virgin Island channels nor the NBC Wyoming so those feeds will be kind of tricky if you don't have a decent LNB, especially if the footprint is weak for you (where in Canada are you?). However you mention you have a 10 ft dish, my 10 footer gets every DVB channel @ 99 so maybe it either the LNB that needs to be replaced or the dish needs an elevation or azimuth adjustment to be ready for the DVB feeds, which as Iceberg mentioned are less forgiving than Analog.

edit: I just read you are in southern Manitoba and looking at 99W Cband's footprint you must definitely should be getting most channels with a 10 footer, you are in the red zone and that's good!

galaxy16_c.gif

Last edited:
If you have been around big dishes before, you probably already know that if you take two strings and run them like a + sign from the dish edge, if they meet, the dish is probably ok. If there is space between the strings, probably a bent dish.

I did straighten a dish once with a come along and some c clamps. Finally got it round with a 1/16 stranded guy wire. Worked ok after that

I was looking over my notes from a few weeks back when I first started playing around with this. My notes indicate that I was locking on ION TV when programming in my Coolsat on Galaxy 16 at 99.0°W. When I look at Lyngsat, ION TV is on AMC 1 at 103.0°W.

I know for certain that I was pointed at Galaxy 16 at 99.0°W because I was getting the guy on analogue transponder 16 and some sort of Soap Opera on transponder 17. Interestingly I was not getting Ion TV this time (2 days ago).

Could my dish be so distorted that it is picking up AMC 1 at 103.0°W when pointed atGalaxy 16 at 99.0°W? I think this supports my theory that the dish is no longer any good. This weekend I might make a trip back and will let everyone know what I find.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

Steve

highly unlikely.....the sats are 4 degrees apart with one in between. I know on my 6 footer I have to be dialed in to get Ion. If you said you were getting Golden Eagles broadcasting when you scanned then I could see that (GEB is next door on 101)

If 16 & 17 analog are clear try a blind scan again and see what happens. The worst thing is you dont get anything

The Shepperd's Channel on analog TP 16 @ 99 is so strong that you might be on 103 and still get it's signal, I would recommend you forget about the analogs and start doing your aiming using the coolsat and manually entering the strongest TPs that way you can locate sats

I'm in southern Manitoba and C-band signals are great... at least on my 10' solid reflector. Just sounds like you might need to do some re-aiming, or maybe the LNB has seen too much Manitoba weather...
Shepherds is on 99 t16 and PBS is on 101 t16 but both are opposite polarities and analog. If I nudge my dish just a bit east when watching PBS I can get shepherds and still pick up PBS, just have to switch polarity. If you get a good signal on PBS your dish will work great for DVB. Best luck!
-C.

Last edited:
I think I will take the advice and purchase a new LNBF before I make the trip back out. I plan on adding a DSR 905 sidecar once I get this thing working so the LNBF would have to be compatible with that.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the forums and the Geosat Pro Dual and the DMX 242 seem to be the top choices for C-Band reception. I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding the best option in LNBF's.

Thanks

Steve

If I were you I would keep that chaparral feedhorn with servo motor (replace the servo if needed), and add a Norsat or Aspen Eagle LNB, that will run you about $80 (if you do buy a new servo, if not it'd be like $50) because in my experience these types of LNBs are much better for mesh BUDs than the DMX or BSC LNBFs, I have never tried a Geosat though

I agree with popper, but if you are dead set on getting a lnbf then the geosat is a pretty nice one for the price.

If I were you I would keep that chaparral feedhorn with servo motor (replace the servo if needed), and add a Norsat or Aspen Eagle LNB, that will run you about $80 (if you do buy a new servo, if not it'd be like $50) because in my experience these types of LNBs are much better for mesh BUDs than the DMX or BSC LNBFs, I have never tried a Geosat though

Can you recommend a good quality LNB. I checked on-line and all the ones I found from Norsat start at $200! I am not cheap by any means, but I don't know if I want to invest that much in that system.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

I'm in southern Manitoba and C-band signals are great... at least on my 10' solid reflector. Just sounds like you might need to do some re-aiming, or maybe the LNB has seen too much Manitoba weather...
Shepherds is on 99 t16 and PBS is on 101 t16 but both are opposite polarities and analog. If I nudge my dish just a bit east when watching PBS I can get shepherds and still pick up PBS, just have to switch polarity. If you get a good signal on PBS your dish will work great for DVB. Best luck!
-C.

Hi Cham,

Thanks for your reply. Since we are located in the same area I was wondering what satellite is highest on the arc for you? Back in the day we used T1 here but I can't remember what number it was located at.

Thanks

Steve

Hi guys,

Well I made another trip out to my Dads and thought I would update you on my progress. I purchased a high stability Norsat 15k LNB and also a DSR 905 sidecar. I also brought my former partner from the days of our Satellite dealership back in the 80's. He has tracked many C-Band dishes like myself.

We connect the GI 650 for the analogue and The Coolsat 5000 for the digital. We install the Norsat and eagerly scan the arc. Unfortunately there is little to no change on the analogue but I am now getting Digital channels that I never got before with the old Drake LNB. In terms of the analogue here is what we found. The Sheppard's chapel on tp 16 at G4 (99) was very strong with absolutely no snow. I also received a feed on tp 17 which was also perfect. When we moved over to W4 (101) tp 16 the PBS feed was very weak with allot of snow. We received some channels on W4 (101) on the Coolsat. I was getting Golden Eagle at 3.717v with a signal around 75%.

The analogue channels on G1 (133) were very snowy similar to W4 (101). We then connected the DSR 905 to see what we could find. We could get the 905 to lock (2 green lights) on only one satellite. I think the satellite we were on was Satmex (113). Here are some of the digital channels that were coming off the Coolsat on this bird:

Sis Jal
GPO Imagen
Megacable
Tu Superestacio
Canal trece
RCG Saltillo

The DSR was giving a signal of 90% and the signal quality was around 45%. We were getting a picture on channel 102 which must have been in open key. It was a Spanish channel called Ocho Tv.

I have decided to replace the dish the next trip out as I have run out of things to check. My friend checked the tracking and he is confident that is not the issue (especially with a satellite like W4 (101) that is in the center of the arc). He did point out that there are some slight imperfections on the mesh probably from a hail storm. I remember back in the day seeing dishes with severe hail damage working better than this thing.

As usual I very much appreciate any feedback provided.

Thanks

Steve

ku lnb

Where can one find a standard ku lnb that bolts on to a corotor feedhorn?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts