Trust Counts... A Note from SatelliteGuys Founder Scott Greczkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha goalie, I dont know all of the posts/pms all about one subject yall get. Just seemed odd to me at first, thats all.

The first 9 people to get the current beta for the software to stream from your HR 20 to your pc where hand picked by the moderators over there.

IIRC, those first 9 were selected by DirecTv with help of the moderators.

What would you like them to do? Pass out invites to beta test the software like they were boobie prizes at the county fair?

Gotcha goalie, I dont know all of the posts/pms all about one subject yall get. Just seemed odd to me at first, thats all.

Its just been overwelming as a whole. We want to make sure that the right info is gettign out and that everyone has an equil shot. Hell Im only human and I know I have done some things wrong. There is plenty going on and I wont go into details.

In THIS thread.

Honestly, I havent seen many people banned from this whole forum.

The few I have really crossed a line

Yep. Nothing, Nothing has been deleteted either.

Its just been overwelming as a whole. We want to make sure that the right info is gettign out and that everyone has an equil shot. Hell Im only human and I know I have done some things wrong. There is plenty going on and I wont go into details.

Yep. Nothing, Nothing has been deleteted either.
I get it. My experience here has been pleasant, and from what I can see, the forum is moderated very very liberaly. There have been ver few times that I could see that I would have possible taken a different path. Thats why the childish comment kind of threw me.
But, hey, as you said, you are only human, and I dont see what you see daily

Wow this thread went to hell. Not that I helped at all. Seriously, let's be realistic, Satguys and DBSTalk are competitors.. lets not pretend we'll be holding hands and chanting poems anytime soon. Thats absurd.

I get it. My experience here has been pleasant, and from what I can see, the forum is moderated very very liberaly. There have been ver few times that I could see that I would have possible taken a different path. Thats why the childish comment kind of threw me.
But, hey, as you said, you are only human, and I dont see what you see daily

Yep... I have the spelling elfs in the background yelling at me because im typeing 200 WPM. :D We just want to make sure that everyone has their voice, its not drowned out by post deletions or threads being closed. Getting the right info out is another big thing. We will even send you over there if needed if thats where the right info is. At the same time people go over there for their news, the same as here. We want everyone to share the same information that comes out reguarding the CE process sence its open to all. There is no harm in it and it only makes both sites stronger and gives an option for all.

Satguys and DBSTalk are competitors.. lets not pretend we'll be holding hands and chanting poems anytime soon. Thats absurd.
True, however, the thing that make BOTH sites go are the members. Many are posters in both forums. Seems right that there should be SOME cooperation between the two.

I guess I could hold my own hand, but that would just be odd:p

Edit: actually, I am trying it right now. Its nice.....

No I still think that we can do some stuff together which would interest both our members.

As I said before I am working on something big and I would like to see it open to all true fans of Satellite Technology, not just SatelliteGuys members.

I know that there will always be folks who are SatelliteGuys fans (thank you) who prefer us over DBSTalk. And I also know that there are others who are DBSTalk fans (they thank you) who like that site better then ours. Thats the nature of the beast. I just want to give our members honest accurate information so they can gain more knowledge and hopefully help out others with the knowledge they gained.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. :)

No I still think that we can do some stuff together which would interest both our members.

As I said before I am working on something big and I would like to see it open to all true fans of Satellite Technology, not just SatelliteGuys members.

I know that there will always be folks who are SatelliteGuys fans (thank you) who prefer us over DBSTalk. And I also know that there are others who are DBSTalk fans (they thank you) who like that site better then ours. Thats the nature of the beast. I just want to give our members honest accurate information so they can gain more knowledge and hopefully help out others with the knowledge they gained.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that. :)

Nothing wrong with that at all.

However, it appears, at least to me, that the review was rushed just to get a scoop.

When you have as many technical and grammatical errors as Jasons review had, it really makes the review look amaturish. What good is being first, if the information is wrong?

Whats wrong with DirecTv or Dish, or whoever, giving a review a look to make sure that all the information is correct? A poorly written review that is full of mis-information, can be very damaging. Especially if the review gets picked up by other sites like endgaget or tvpredictions. It's impossible to put that genie back in the bottle.

Thats your oppinion, and your free to post else where if you wish. What's funny is you meantion about the sheeple, and the out cast thing. The first 9 people to get the current beta for the software to stream from your HR 20 to your pc where hand picked by the moderators over there.

So whats wrong with getting hand picked by moderators & DirecTv people to be in field trials/beta tests? Does that make one a suck up, sheeple or outcast?

If so, then what does that make masterdeals? Afterall, he was handpicked to be in the SWM LNB field trial. bah bah bah.

So who cares who picks folks to do pre-release testing at DBS just as long as someone is getting picked.

IIRC for the Media Share PC client there was a thread where people were asked to discribe their PC's and networks and folks with very hight end systems to the marginal ones were selected. IMO the inital group was kept small since a special level of code was required on the HR20's for the server part and it looks like D* has to pay for the client software since we were limited to the number of client loads were available. Plus we were moving from a CE program that not only included the D* hardware and the customer network but now throwing the end users PC's into the puzzle, maybe D* wanted to keep it small at the start to see how to handle problem/issue reporting?

So whats wrong with getting hand picked by moderators & DirecTv people to be in field trials/beta tests? Does that make one a suck up, sheeple or outcast?

If so, then what does that make masterdeals? Afterall, he was handpicked to be in the SWM LNB field trial. bah bah bah.

Nope, Just want to make sure that everyone is picked on equal merrit. It seems more often than not the guys who buddy buddy up to the mods are the first ones to see the betas. Why not do a point system or randomly select people? There are ways that it can be done. Even so, Once the beta was released to the general population who signed up over there, any member who was a satelliteguys member who didnt post over there was not accepted into the program even though they meet all the requirements. Even when members who were able to post here (IE masterdeals) and post over there was kept out of the program.

When anyone in the media gets too close to a particular company or subject they run the risk of losing their objectivity. Directv will not want to be in bed with a web site that puts its readers first and tells it like it is. They'll only cooperate if you play by their rules.

Look at the whole DLB fiasco with the HR series. Earl was told why it wasn't present but was also told not to say why to his readers. So does he have an obligation to the readers and spill the beans or does he keep his mouth shut? Well in order to continue to stay in bed with Directv, he keeps his mouth shut. He ends up being/looking like an unpaid representative of the company

Do you put the readers first or the company? The whole idea of getting inside information to your readers before something hits the shelves is great but if it comes from the company on their terms then you're just an unpaid mouth piece for them. Rumors and inside scoops from un-named sources putting their jobs on the line is different and gets a real unofficial look into the company.

Look at the whole DLB fiasco with the HR series. Earl was told why it wasn't present but was also told not to say why to his readers. So does he have an obligation to the readers and spill the beans or does he keep his mouth shut? Well in order to continue to stay in bed with Directv, he keeps his mouth shut. He ends up being/looking like an unpaid representative of the company.

And how much different was that from the recent Charlie meetting where folks from this site were told things about Dish/Echostar but told not to report on what they were told?

Why is it when someone posts a message that <gasp> disagrees with Scott it has to be ragged on ? Honestly, I really, really doubt that Scott wants a bunch of brown-nosed sheep as members.

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

When you have as many ... grammatical errors as Jasons review had, it really makes the review look amaturish.
Are you referring to the 3-page PDF ? If so, and I admit I scanned it very quickly, I didn't pick up many, if any, grammar errors. I'm a stickler for that too....

Nope, Just want to make sure that everyone is picked on equal merrit. It seems more often than not the guys who buddy buddy up to the mods are the first ones to see the betas. Why not do a point system or randomly select people? There are ways that it can be done. Even so, Once the beta was released to the general population who signed up over there, any member who was a satelliteguys member who didnt post over there was not accepted into the program even though they meet all the requirements. Even when members who were able to post here (IE masterdeals) and post over there was kept out of the program.

How would your point system work? Brownie points? Randomly select people? That will never work. Just look at the general threads for either provider at either site. Some people have a hard time changing channels. Would you really want these people to test a future product?

And this just makes no sense whatsoever:
Even so, Once the beta was released to the general population who signed up over there, any member who was a satelliteguys member who didnt post over there was not accepted into the program even though they meet all the requirements.

So a member here, that is a member there, but never posted there isn't selected. I know it's a stretch, but perhaps the fact that they never posted, thus never noticed played a part in not getting picked.

And how much different was that from the recent Charlie meetting where folks from this site were told things about Dish/Echostar but told not to report on what they were told?

Because to some, this site can do no wrong, but DBSTalk is the spawn of satan. :dev Double standards, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)