Trying to get a slimline installed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks. I have used Solid Signal before. I was hoping for a link directly to the page for the non penetrating mast so I would know exactly what was recommended.

Thanks. I have used Solid Signal before. I was hoping for a link directly to the page for the non penetrating mast so I would know exactly what was recommended.

Well jeez, I got you to the website, you want me to buy it for you, too? :D

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry I don't know what a "non penetrating roof mount" is. Everything I searched through Solid Signal for before I posted back looked like it penetrated into a roof, at least what the word "penetrating" means to me.

Coming from an installer, all those other installers that said they couldn't leave anything are exactly correct. See all that equipment that we put in/on your houses is issued to us. If for some reason it comes up missing, it gets charged out to us, off of our paychecks!! So I'm sorry but I'm not leaving a $600 HD DVR at someones house that I don't even know. Also, if it is rescheduled and a different tech comes out, he can't use that receiver because it isn't issued out to his name, so he has to go out to his truck, grab another one, and then keep track of the one that was left at your house, hunt that tech down and give it back to him. Short story: Tech's were right, and if we leave em' it's a pain to get 'em back.

As for that KaKu balcony install, I would love to see the QC come back on that one! No ground
No brace mounts (come on, atleast use one...)
those are 2 huge no no's!

And as for the customer, an A++++ on the "I gotta have HD"

There should be a post with pics of what customers/installers have done to get satellite to a tv!

As for that KaKu balcony install, I would love to see the QC come back on that one! No ground
I too would like to know the answer to this question as to how? I live on the 3rd floor in an apartment building so it's not like I can run a ground rod like in my past houses or tie to a water pipe.

I plan on doing braces, just waiting for the building to get painted so they don't make me get rid of it completely.

dcwebman, since your mount is secure at the bottom. why don't you get a longer section of pipe that will reach the top of the balcony opening and secure it up there too? that would be pretty solid.

stumo

I plan on doing braces, just waiting for the building to get painted so they don't make me get rid of it completely.

Probably a good call (waiting). An attachment here, an attachment there, could cause your property management to rethink dish policies, as you stated. While your mounting ideas may work just fine, if it was my apartment, I’d go the non-pen route.

stumo, mounting at the top isn't a bad idea.

shmeff, I really like the non-penetrating mounts. I contacted Solid Signal to see which one of theirs would work with the Slimline and how high a pole comes with them. I got an answer back that they weren't sure but would check on it and get back to me. That was over a week ago so I need to ping them again. My friend said he wished he thought of that because that way it's a portable solution too in case I ever move and then I'm set at the new place. Solid Signal said that some people are mounting them on shipping palettes and then weighing the palettes down. Personally a shipping palette is a little too big, but hmmm, they do make half size ones.

The one non-penetrating mount they had which shape-wise would work is the one that has the post at the edge of the mount so that it could rest right up against my balcony railing. The ones that have the post in the center wouldn't work. If you know any that do work with the SlimLine, please let me know.

My employer provides them to us so sorry I don’t know where they get them, probably somewhere in China. You might need to do some modification to get dish up to clear your railing though.

Get a joist jack(like you see in long span basements)1/4" piece of plywood on top and bottom(won't leave marks) and crank that puppy down tight

A joist jack is an interesting idea. Hmmm...

I wish hillbillydeluxe would reply on how to ground a balcony dish though.

Any of these possible
Acceptable central building ground points
• Grounded interior metal cold water pipe within five feet of the
point where it enters the building.
• Grounded metallic service raceway.
• Grounded electrical service equipment enclosure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)