Trying to get the digital signals of Indy and FWA stations

fwagodess

Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Marion, IN
Most of you probably don't know who I am. I run a television news discussion site called INNewsCenter.

However, I am using two outdoor antennas (one for Indy and one for Fort Wayne).

I did use the Indianapolis antenna and got every digital signal (except WISH and WTTK) with success. I even got WPTA and WISE-DT signals.

So the big question is how do I merge two outdoor antennas into one line?

What do I need to do and how do I do this?

Last edited:
It might be possible to merge the two signals since there are no channels that are on the same frequency from the two directions, but often when you do something like this the antennas can actually cancel each other out.

Do you have amplification on either or both antennas (could be a problem)?

If you are situated where the sources are 180 degrees apart it stands a better chance than other situations.

Is there some reason why an A-B RF switch would not work for you?

It would offer fewer chances of complications (any signal leaking into the back of an antenna might be out of phase with the signal into the front of the other antenna and they would actually reduce your signal level).

You can try using an ordinary splitter combiner to merge the two coax leads into one, but as jim said, you may cancel out some signals and lose channels, but its worth a shot. You might ant to try using 2 digital convertors on a tv set and putting one on a composite input and the other on a rf input, then you could easily switch between the two.

One way to make a high-gain (and more-directional) antenna is to combine the outputs of multiple antennas. It may be possible to combine the outputs of multiple antennas and not have this effect if each antenna is sufficiently directional ("sufficiently" is purposely vague here, as the topic is quite complex), and they are pointing in different directions.

Another way is to have filters on each antenna before the combiner, so that they each pick up their own station(s). This could also be rather complex, depending on how many stations are involved. This is what cable TV or Master Antenna TV (MATV) systems do. I've even seen systems with a rack-mounted filter/amplifier for each channel to be received, and I've heard of systems with a separate antenna for each station.

The simplest solution, as mentoined above, is to have an A/B switch, so you could select which antenna you want to use. Or you could also use a rotator, to turn the antenna to the appropriate direction for the station you want to watch.

Most of you probably don't know who I am. I run a television news discussion site called INNewsCenter.

However, I am using two outdoor antennas (one for Indy and one for Fort Wayne).

I did use the Indianapolis antenna and got every digital signal (except WISH and WTTK) with success. I even got WPTA and WISE-DT signals.

So the big question is how do I merge two outdoor antennas into one line?

What do I need to do and how do I do this?

I did purchase a diplexer recently, combined the two antennas into the one amplifier, and that didn't work.

It might be possible to merge the two signals since there are no channels that are on the same frequency from the two directions, but often when you do something like this the antennas can actually cancel each other out.

Do you have amplification on either or both antennas (could be a problem)?

If you are situated where the sources are 180 degrees apart it stands a better chance than other situations.

Is there some reason why an A-B RF switch would not work for you?

It would offer fewer chances of complications (any signal leaking into the back of an antenna might be out of phase with the signal into the front of the other antenna and they would actually reduce your signal level).

The A/B RF switch is out of the question.

One way to make a high-gain (and more-directional) antenna is to combine the outputs of multiple antennas. It may be possible to combine the outputs of multiple antennas and not have this effect if each antenna is sufficiently directional ("sufficiently" is purposely vague here, as the topic is quite complex), and they are pointing in different directions.

Another way is to have filters on each antenna before the combiner, so that they each pick up their own station(s). This could also be rather complex, depending on how many stations are involved. This is what cable TV or Master Antenna TV (MATV) systems do. I've even seen systems with a rack-mounted filter/amplifier for each channel to be received, and I've heard of systems with a separate antenna for each station.

The simplest solution, as mentoined above, is to have an A/B switch, so you could select which antenna you want to use. Or you could also use a rotator, to turn the antenna to the appropriate direction for the station you want to watch.

I tried rotating the antenna, and that didn't work.

It looks like I may have to raise the elevation and risk my life doing this.

There is an antenna that was recommend and it is a Wineguard HD-8200U antenna for your location.
HD-8200U: http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=HD8200U

It's going to cost me more than $250. I've already spent nearly $1,100 on this problem, including tools.

I wouldn't be doing asking this if I wasn't an unsatisfied Marion Bright House Networks customer (and subsequently canceled) after 13 years.

You certainly don't need a big honkin Combo antenna.No lowband after transition.

See if you can find a 4221 or 4228.Put it 30-50 above ground.Remove the rear screen.Mount a 10 element highbander 25-30 and point it at Indy.Use a 7777 preamp to join the two antennas.You should be able to pick up all the channels you want.The key point being the height for the UHF.

Or, you can pay me $1100 and I'll come up and "fix" it for you :D

The Winegard HD8200U is a great antenna, I have one and it works great, you wont be disappointed, if that antenna doesn't get it, none will.

You certainly don't need a big honkin Combo antenna.No lowband after transition.

See if you can find a 4221 or 4228.Put it 30-50 above ground.Remove the rear screen.Mount a 10 element highbander 25-30 and point it at Indy.Use a 7777 preamp to join the two antennas. You should be able to pick up all the channels you want.The key point being the height for the UHF.

Or, you can pay me $1100 and I'll come up and "fix" it for you :D
If I point the antenna towards Indianapolis, I won't get the FWA stations. I believe you must have misread the topic. The last time I checked my area received Fort Wayne and Indianapolis television was still available over the air, even HD/digital.

I'll try to raise the elevation by at least 10 more feet and see if I can come up with something. However I like midwestdxer's response, except "the last part."

Last edited:
No,I didn't misread anything.If you put up a bay-type antenna and knock the screen off the back you'll have a bi-directional antenna with about 6-7db gain which will probably be enough IF you get it up high enough off the ground to see adequate signals from both directions.I run Marion's zip on TV Fool and it looks do-able.

a diplexer is not a splitter combiner a diplexer combines two radically different frequencies on one coax

Agreed. As soon as the weather warms up, the elevation of the antenna will be raised by 10 feet, maybe more until I get all Indianapolis and Ft Wayne stations..

Last edited:
Agreed. As soon as the weather warms up, the elevation of the antenna will be raised by 10 feet, maybe more until I get all Indianapolis and Ft Wayne stations..

Just had the opportunity today and during the raising, the antenna broke.
antenna_broke.jpg

:mad:That just set me back a few hours.:mad:

Unfortunately, the evalation was not raised and I'm stuck. It took me 12 hours to fix the antenna.

Last edited:
Just had the opportunity today and during the raising, the antenna broke.
antenna_broke.jpg

:mad:That just set me back a few hours.:mad:

Unfortunately, the evalation was not raised and I'm stuck. It took me 12 hours to fix the antenna.

I checked with the Fort Wayne TV stations and I am expected to get them in June, or whenever I buy my first house--whichever comes first.

One thing to consider when designing your final installation is the upcoming whitespace issue.When one is between adjacent markets there may be an issue with where you are in respect to the Grade B contours from each market-ie allowing you to pick up only certain channels from each market without interference from whitespace devices.

This is the big"September Surprise" that was part of the overall "Digital Transition" that few people are aware of.

Show My White Space

I am happy to report that after raising my antenna by five feet. I got all INDY stations!

But afte I flipped the antenna towards Fort Wayne and I can say one word--WOW!

I FINALLY GOT WANE and WPTA!!! :) I have ended a 151 WANE-less drought! Words can't describe the relief I'm feeling right now!

It's only going to be a matter of time when I get WFFT and WISE-DT's signal the "DXing" onto INNewsCenter.

One thing to consider when designing your final installation is the upcoming whitespace issue.When one is between adjacent markets there may be an issue with where you are in respect to the Grade B contours from each market-ie allowing you to pick up only certain channels from each market without interference from whitespace devices.

What prevents you from registering wireless mikes on the out of town channels that you can receive?

That would keep your neighbors "white Space" device in real white space and not on your "gray space".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)