Trying to get the Sears deal

No, we don't. Per the Voom reps on the Yahoo list, there is some argument over that free plus pack.

-MP

I don't know why there would be a arguement its in big bold print at my Sears saying you get the 21 Exclusive HD Channels, Cable Favorites, Local HDTV Channels (where available), and 1 free Plus Pack ($14.90 for each pak after.)

Right... but there is :). The suggestion of the Voom reps was that we all fax in copies demanding the promised deal.

I have a Voom brochure that I picked up at Sears.
Sears is no where on this brochure and here is what it states:

"LIMITED TIME OFFER - ORDER TODAY
Have your Voom equipment installed, and all the monthly programming Voom has to offer - the 21 HD exclusives, the PlusPacks, the Cable Favorites - all of it is FREE for 30 days (a value of up to $99.50) After that, the basic VOOM package is just $39.90 a month and includes the PlusPack of your choice, with our compliments. There's no long-term commitment. And if within 30 we don't have you completely satisfied, we'll give you your money back. No questions asked."

The CSR told me that tis may be an older brochure because there are currently NO free programming promotions!!!

Here is the fine print though:
"The Sports and Marquee PlusPacks are only temporarily available. Rainbow DBS's regulatory authority tp provide these channels expires on April 5, 2004. In addition, Rainbow DBS may be required to cease transmitting programming over these channels earlier than that date. Therefore, the Sports and Marquee PlusPacks will cease to be available to you on or before April5, 2004 without prior notice. If you have any questions, please visit our website at www.voom.co or call us toll-free at 1 800 GET VOOM"

Doesn't this smell fishy to you guys?

So now the dilemma. Do I keep the lease deal or do I go the Sears route. The Sears deal is only worth it to me if I get the Free Pak with the $39.90 Deal.

See my breakdown in pricing. In the long run, the Sears deal still makes sense regardless. But only in the long run :)

I just got back from my local Sears store, and looked for Voom. Guess what? No Voom hooked up to any of their HDTV's! they only had Dish network feeding them. I did manage to find one small poster about VOOM hidden in a corner of the store. WOW, VOOM better get some better retailers than these guys to show off their product!

Sorry madpoet but if I have my numbers right the $399.99 would be equal to 3.5 years of paying $9.50 a month. Don't you think that in the 3 and half years they would upgrade, switch you to a new box or the likes? Probably if you purchase now they may as well upgrade you too in the future but who knows at what cost?

For me it makes more sense to lease unless (like stevo mentioned) only if the free PlusPack $14.90 deal for life is offered then maybe it's worth it because it's $625.80 for free within the same 3.5 years...Just my opinion!

Hmmmm, am I making any sense??? :shocked

truqui said:
Here is the fine print though:
"The Sports and Marquee PlusPacks are only temporarily available. Rainbow DBS's regulatory authority tp provide these channels expires on April 5, 2004. In addition, Rainbow DBS may be required to cease transmitting programming over these channels earlier than that date. Therefore, the Sports and Marquee PlusPacks will cease to be available to you on or before April5, 2004 without prior notice. If you have any questions, please visit our website at www.voom.co or call us toll-free at 1 800 GET VOOM"

Doesn't this smell fishy to you guys?

I would not worry too much about it. The FCC scheduled the next auction for July 14, 2004 (Auction No. 52) and said the following about the licenses to be auctioned.

Source

Licenses to Be Auctioned

Auction No. 52 will include three licenses for unassigned channels at orbit locations of 175° W.L., 166° W.L., and 157° W.L. The license to use the two available channels at the eastern orbit location of 61.5º W.L., which was included in the list of licenses available for auction in the Auction No. 52 Comment Public Notice, will not be offered in Auction No. 52 because there remains pending the issue of whether any eligibility restrictions are appropriate for this license.

So it looks like VOOM will remain with the two transponder that Echostar gave them and where the Starz package resides.

truqui said:
Sorry madpoet but if I have my numbers right the $399.99 would be equal to 3.5 years of paying $9.50 a month. Don't you think that in the 3 and half years they would upgrade, switch you to a new box or the likes? Probably if you purchase now they may as well upgrade you too in the future but who knows at what cost?

For me it makes more sense to lease unless (like stevo mentioned) only if the free PlusPack $14.90 deal for life is offered then maybe it's worth it because it's $625.80 for free within the same 3.5 years...Just my opinion!

Don't forget you are getting Free VaVaVoom until 6/1/04 which is $200 Value. I'm going the Sears route if I get confirmation from someone about the free Pak being honored by Voom

truqui said:

Purchased the first of this month so I am getting three months of va va voom @$90 month. Along with free install, locals antenna,mbg till June 30, and possibly the plus pack feature this is a great deal. When I factor in what I save over my cancelled cable service it was a no brainer. This way I am at least $9.50 ahead every month over the lease plan. Fees are also locked in for this year.

The deal's only good until 6/1 not 6/30 you will save about $200 on Va Va Voom Free Offer the key though is if you will receive that Free Pak forever. If any one gets a confirmation from Voom on this please let me know.

stevo714 said:
The deal's only good until 6/1 not 6/30 you will save about $200 on Va Va Voom Free Offer the key though is if you will receive that Free Pak forever. If any one gets a confirmation from Voom on this please let me know.

March, April, May for me on the va va voom package so I'm looking at ~$300 for the three months service.

Still up in the air on the plus pack from what I understand. A CSR in another forum says as it stands now, no plus pack on this offer. The packet I purchased from Sears says the plus pack is included, but it was somewhat dated.

Roi

If you go through Sears and buy the receiver, what do you do with it in 6 months when the DVR is available? Isn't it better to lease until things settle down, unless you have no interest in the DVR?

You trade it in for credit towards the DVR. They have said that people who own the equipment will get a credit when they go to buy the DVR. No one is quite sure WHAT credit however :).

-MP

owlbox said:
If you go through Sears and buy the receiver, what do you do with it in 6 months when the DVR is available? Isn't it better to lease until things settle down, unless you have no interest in the DVR?

With what I saved by purchasing (see my posts above) I feel I really dont have anything in the receiver.

If I do want the recorder when they come out I have the option to trade it in, sell it outright, or use it in another room.

Till the recorders come out I am saving the ~$10.00 rental charge every month.

stevo714 said:
I don't know why there would be a arguement its in big bold print at my Sears saying you get the 21 Exclusive HD Channels, Cable Favorites, Local HDTV Channels (where available), and 1 free Plus Pack ($14.90 for each pak after.)

The free plus pak ended with the $750 price tag!!

I just called Saturday and received the free plus pack along with the basic package starting June 1.

This was on the Sears deal that was purchased in February for $399.

Right... the deal ended February 28th. Unfortunately as of early March, Voom was still telling subscribers that they would get it. And then they abruptly reversed course and told us we were screwed.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)