Trying to save some cash with 2 Vip722

fire_317

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I hope this is the place for this.

I currently have 2 Vip722 (not the K) receivers. They are leased. I am looking for ways to trim my bill. I noticed I am paying a $17 HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver fee and a $6 DVR fee. I assume that is for the 2nd Vip722.

Now, the way we have our setup. We have 2 TV's both with a 722 connected. Each 722 is setup in the single mode. We use the 2 tuners on each receiver to record shows and watch a different program at the same time. I have tried to connect a OTA antenna to each receiver, but when I do, the receivers reboot for some reason when I try to tune to the OTA channel or do a OTA scan to add OTA channels (unrelated issue that I need to go thru a tech call to repair receivers).

Here is the kicker, I would consider Hopper/Joey, but I camp and would want a Tailgater (or Winegard Carryout) where I know I need a Vip receiver.

Is there a way I can do this exact setup with maybe a Vip 222 and an EHD on each receiver? Can I just call Dish and exchange? Can I purchase my own 222 receivers and not be on a lease (or does that matter)??

Any help is appreciated.

Dan

Don't go with the 222, you cannot use an EHD with it. The 211 will and you get two tuners if ota connected to it.

Yeah, I just found that info. If I went this route, would it eliminate the $17 fee and the $6 fee? Or would there still be some type of fee?

It would eliminate both the $17 fee and the $6 fee, but there would be a $7 fee for the 2nd 211 so really, you would just save $16/month. Don't forget the one-time $40 fee to activate an EHD for the 211.

If you go with a 722 and a 211, you're still stuck with the $6 DVR fee because of the 722. You need all 211's to avoid that. While OTA does give you a second tuner, if you're recording from a Sat channel, you can't watch another Sat channel at the same time, only an OTA channel. I personally find the 211 too limited as a primary DVR, so I'd pay the $6 and get a 722k as primary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)