trying to use EHD causing 722 to reboot

jd613

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Atlanta area
I have a few EHD (all WD: two 1.5TB newer Essentials, two older 1 TB MyBook--the kind that Essentials replaced) that I sometimes move between my two 722 DVRs. Earlier this week, I moved one of my 1.5TB Essentials to my secondary DVR, attached as usual, and then tried to view what was on it (DVR, 4, 1). The DVR froze up and rebooted about 30 seconds later. Thinking it was a fluke, I tried again about 10 minutes about the reboot, same result. I thought maybe the USB cable had gone bad, so I swapped that out, and this time, I could view the contents of the EHD, but as soon as I tried to arrow down or select anything, it rebooted yet again.

After three strikes, I decided to see if I could still use one of my older 1TB MyBooks, and I was successful in archiving and restoring with that EHD on this secondary DVR.

I tried recreating this issue on my main (living room) DVR with the same 1.5TB EHD, and it made that one reboot too. The only difference is that I was later able to archive a recording from my main DVR. Since I can't view the EHD cotents, I have no idea if the recording is really on the EHD, but it was removed from the internal HD.

What could have happened to my EHD that simply trying to read it would make my DVR reboot?

And are the recordings already archived retrievable?

If it matters, both are still on L625, and I have experienced the EHD deletion bug on at least one of my other EHDs on one of my DVRs. (sorry, don't remember which EHD or which DVR, but I've been restoring to watch ever since)

I'm seeing the same problem with an EHD connected to my VIP622. This EHD has been connected to the DVR for over a year and has just started having this problem. Sometimes the DVR reboots after I select My Media->Manage Device, and sometimes it reboots after I select a program to play. The EHD has about 800GB on it.

Any suggestions for fixing this problem?

need advice pls in trying to move shows off of an EHD that makes my 722 reboot

As usual, whenever an external HDD acts up I want to check for filesystem corruption (assuming nothing else has changed - cable/powersupply):

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-29.html#post1887854

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-29.html#post1887894

I tried reading through these two posts, but it goes over my head... :confused:

Is there a way that I can hook this EHD up to my computer and manually move files onto another EHD without reformatting for Windows? I have heard this might be possible with Ubuntu, but I've never used that system...about all I about it is that I can get it loaded onto a cd and then boot into that system instead of Windows.

If I can just get the files off the seemingly-corrupted EHD, then I can follow up with the manufacturer about it going bad within their warranty. Any help is greatly appreciated!

(and if it helps, this is still happening in L627)

Format the other drive with your receiver, then connect both drives to a PC running Linux. Copy the files in the /Disharc folder from the old drive to the /Disharc folder on the new one.

I tried reading through these two posts, but it goes over my head... :confused:

Is there a way that I can hook this EHD up to my computer and manually move files onto another EHD without reformatting for Windows? I have heard this might be possible with Ubuntu, but I've never used that system...about all I about it is that I can get it loaded onto a cd and then boot into that system instead of Windows.

It's possible, but there's a learning curve. It may, or may not, be worth your time. Some of the steps are similar to the External HDD repair guide.

Format the other drive with your receiver, then connect both drives to a PC running Linux. Copy the files in the /Disharc folder from the old drive to the /Disharc folder on the new one.

You have to copy the files as a "Super User / Administrator". Or, mess with the privledges after the files are copied. Also, if the file structure is corrupt, you'll probably need to get through the scan disk before copying.

Again, this is not for the casual Windows User. It sucks that Dish hasn't built the external HDD scan disk function into the 622/722.

You have to copy the files as a "Super User / Administrator". Or, mess with the privledges after the files are copied. Also, if the file structure is corrupt, you'll probably need to get through the scan disk before copying.

Again, this is not for the casual Windows User. It sucks that Dish hasn't built the external HDD scan disk function into the 622/722.

If I am the only user of my laptop (XP SP3), then am I automatically the SuperUser/Administrator? Or is this something I have to set after loading Ubuntu?

And what kind of "scan disk" do you mean? This is new for me, so I want to be sure I don't screw up the EHD more than it already is. I had quite a bit stored that I don't want to lose...just want to move to another one of my other EHDs that I'm using with my DVR.

Thanks, this sounds simple - load Ubuntu, find the File Manager, and then start to copy/paste; is that all I have to do?

Will this work with if the destination EHD already has some shows archived onto it? If so, I've got my other 1.5 TB drive, but I've already got a few 100GB saved onto it that I don't want to lose either.

still don't understand why the EHD is doing thism and file naming question...

I tried today to see if the EHD would still act up when attached to my DVR, and it is still causing reboots -- any thoughts on why this one WD EHD just started causing reboots after working fine for so long?

I have a Ubuntu 9 disc, but it would only work if I did an "inside Windows" install...which seems a misnomer, as I could only launch Ubuntu at the dual boot point - no way to launch as a Windows application like it should; was there an unwritten step to the instructions?

Anyways, after those issues, I was able to view the files on this EHD via Ubuntu, and I was very confused...it reads the EHD as if there were 3 disks, each with two folders (Arc and Lost&Found; all L&F seem to be empty). The three Arc folders have a different number of sub-folders with seemingly-random alphanumeric names, and each sub-folder has 4 sub-folders. I haven't tried moving any of these files yet b/c I don't know what is what, and I'd like to use this opportunity to organize my recordings by type. Is there any way to know what is what? :confused:

Ubuntu does not run "inside windows".
You didn't need to install it. The CD is bootable (assuming you computer bios is setup to allow booting the CD).

The 622/722 sets up the drive as multiple partitions (depending on the size of the drive). Each folder inside each partitions arc folder contains an event. An event is comprised of 4 files in a folder. Copy the entier folder to copy the event.

Then the question becomes, where are you going to copy it to ? The easiest thing is to get a 2nd HDD, let the 622/722 format it, then plug both the old and new into the pc at the same time to copy the folders.

There could be as many a 6 partition mounted at once. As you plug each drive in you have to keep a careful eye to track which partition on on which drive. Also, one of the folders could be corrupt (causing the reboot). You might have to copy just a few at a time.

Before you copy, did you try the Unbuntu scan disk ?

Please try to read this. It covers the process.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...-drive-archive-bug-thread-29.html#post1887894

Ubuntu does not run "inside windows".
You didn't need to install it. The CD is bootable (assuming you computer bios is setup to allow booting the CD).
||
||
Before you copy, did you try the Unbuntu scan disk ?

Please try to read this. It covers the process.

This sounds like good advice, but I have a few more questions:

When I put the Ubuntu disc into the drive while in Windows, to make sure it had the program on it, it loaded an installer with three options, one of which was "run inside windows" which I thought I chose, but it seems to do a dual-boot installation, which I have since uninstalled.

If I can get the disc to be bootable (think I got that switched on now), how do I find the Ubuntu Scan Disk you mentioned? Is it part of the process in that linked post? Also is e2fsckpart of Ubuntu, or do I need to somehow get that and install it? (don't know what e2fsck is...)

help? same DVR has corrupted *another* EHD

So before I could even try to follow DavidLevin's helpful advice, the same secondary DVR has corrupted yet another EHD :( I ended up buying another 1.5TB after that first one went bad in April, so that I could use it to transfer off the bad EHD's data, but since I never got to do that back then, I started using it as another EHD for archiving. Tonight, I was trying to find a file on the April EHD to restore, and the screen froze up. It didn't reboot, even after more than 10 minutes, so I (probably stupidly) did a front-panel reset and disconnected the EHD during the DVR reboot. After the DVR was fully rebooted, I reconnected the EHD and as soon as I tried to view the contents, the DVR rebooted. This EHD is also rebooting my primary DVR when I tested it on that one too.

Am I pulling at threads to think my secondary DVR could be causing the corruption since both started acting up while attached to my secondary DVR? How would I even explain this to Dish Tech Support in an attempt to try to get a replacement 722? :eek:

And is there any way to figure out which file or folder "holds" the corruption so that I can delete it via Ubuntu before copying files off to another EHD?

2 DVR's?

So before I could even try to follow DavidLevin's helpful advice, the same secondary DVR has corrupted yet another EHD :( I ended up buying another 1.5TB after that first one went bad in April, so that I could use it to transfer off the bad EHD's data, but since I never got to do that back then, I started using it as another EHD for archiving. Tonight, I was trying to find a file on the April EHD to restore, and the screen froze up. It didn't reboot, even after more than 10 minutes, so I (probably stupidly) did a front-panel reset and disconnected the EHD during the DVR reboot. After the DVR was fully rebooted, I reconnected the EHD and as soon as I tried to view the contents, the DVR rebooted. This EHD is also rebooting my primary DVR when I tested it on that one too.

Am I pulling at threads to think my secondary DVR could be causing the corruption since both started acting up while attached to my secondary DVR? How would I even explain this to Dish Tech Support in an attempt to try to get a replacement 722? :eek:

And is there any way to figure out which file or folder "holds" the corruption so that I can delete it via Ubuntu before copying files off to another EHD?

If you have 2 DVR's what do the ext HDD's do on the primary DVR?

If you have 2 DVR's what do the ext HDD's do on the primary DVR?

The two EHD's in question *first* caused reboots on my secondary DVR, and they unfortunately both cause my primary DVR to reboot too...and I use primary/secondary as the same identifiers that Dish uses on my account.

Last edited:
Problem

The two EHD's in question *first* caused reboots on my secondary DVR, and they unfortunately both cause my primary DVR to reboot too...and I use primary/secondary as the same identifiers that Dish uses on my account.

If it does it to both of your units then it sounds like that is a compatibility problem w/ those units and E*. Maybe a dumb question but you are using a separate power supply for these HDD's?

If it does it to both of your units then it sounds like that is a compatibility problem w/ those units and E*. Maybe a dumb question but you are using a separate power supply for these HDD's?

All of my EHDs are WD that many here recommend: three of the 1.5TB newer WD Essential drives and two older 1 TB MyBook--the kind that Essentials replaced late last year. So far the newest two of the 1.5TB WD Essentials are the ones that have "gone bad."

Not a dumb question -- first thing I tried was switching power supplies and USB cords when this started. Since then I've tried switching out power supplies among the three different 1.5TB WD Essential EHDs, but it doesn't make any difference, as the reboots will happen with drives 2 and 3 with any of the three power cords. When this started, I had two 1.5TB WD drives, and so far the first one I bought is still working, but then again, I haven't hooked that first one up to the secondary DVR in a while...

It could be possible that a weak power supply is causing the corruption, but once the drive is corrupted switching out power bricks isn't going to help.

The link I posted covers how to "find" the scan disk program (you actually run it from the command line and yes e2fsck is part of the standard installation).

If there is a corrupted event/folder, is can be difficult to find.... That's why I mentioned it can take some trial n error when copying programs.

Then scan disk will sometimes move corrupted files to the "lost and found" folder. The 622/722 will ignore files in this folder (this is a good thing).

I'd probably stay away from the drive type that has given you two corruptions. Though I'm a little surprised. For me, I've found the 622 to be pickier then the 722. I have one series of drives that are fine on the 722 but don't get along with the 622.

A couple more notes on e2fsck. By default, it runs in a mode where it asks you to accept each correction. In some cases you could end up sitting there hitting "y" 100's of times (remapping lost clusters). You can hit cntrl-C (abort), then use the option to assume the "y" response....

type:
e2fsck -help
to see all the switches.

Also, even if you're still truly bent on trying to copy the files, I think you should run the e2fsck first.

Oh yea, and after you run e2fsck and it corrects the errors, I'd suggest you run it again to see it declare the drive error free.

still having problems...

It could be possible that a weak power supply is causing the corruption, but once the drive is corrupted switching out power bricks isn't going to help.

The link I posted covers how to "find" the scan disk program (you actually run it from the command line and yes e2fsck is part of the standard installation).

If there is a corrupted event/folder, is can be difficult to find.... That's why I mentioned it can take some trial n error when copying programs.

Then scan disk will sometimes move corrupted files to the "lost and found" folder. The 622/722 will ignore files in this folder (this is a good thing).

I'd probably stay away from the drive type that has given you two corruptions. Though I'm a little surprised. For me, I've found the 622 to be pickier then the 722. I have one series of drives that are fine on the 722 but don't get along with the 622.

A couple more notes on e2fsck. By default, it runs in a mode where it asks you to accept each correction. In some cases you could end up sitting there hitting "y" 100's of times (remapping lost clusters). You can hit cntrl-C (abort), then use the option to assume the "y" response....

type:
e2fsck -help
to see all the switches.

Also, even if you're still truly bent on trying to copy the files, I think you should run the e2fsck first.

Oh yea, and after you run e2fsck and it corrects the errors, I'd suggest you run it again to see it declare the drive error free.

I got a new EHD (and new power supply) and was finally able to successfully get Ubuntu running. After more than a bit of trial and error with permissions on the EHD, I was able to start copying some files to test out moving them to this new EHD that had up until today been working just fine with my primary dvr. Admittedly, I didn't run fsck beforehand b/c I just can't figure out how to get it to work.

So I went ahead and moved a small set of folders, and then moved the EHD back to my DVR. I can't remember if I unmounted or just unplugged the USB, but almost immediately after I connected the EHD back to my DVR, the DVR rebooted. It didn't even need me to try to access the EHD, and the reboot was back-to-back-to-back-to-back, with the system not even completely coming back up before rebooting again, at which point I pulled out the USB and then the DVR stopped rebooting and now seems fine.

I reconnected the EHD to Ubuntu to see if I could find any corruption in the new files, but when running fsck, I'm getting this error pasted in at the end of this post... I really am at the end of the little that I know about Ubuntu, so if anyone can help, please put it into "dummies" terms, as that is how I feel now :(

:confused: What do I try next? I'm now down **three** EHDs, as I had planned to use this third one to facilitate an exchange via either WD or the store. This latest EHD is less than 30 days old, the second one is barely 90 days old, and the oldest one is less than a year old. I really don't want to lose all of these archives, as I never had a chance to watch much of this other than some movies that I did watch but wanted to keep...

Oh, and all lost and found folders are empty.

fsck results even after changing to Root and setting permissions and unmounting:
root@ubuntu:~# sudo chown -R jd:jd /media/disk
root@ubuntu:~# fsck /dev/disk

fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
e2fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)
fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /dev/disk

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>