Tulsa and OKC locals from Griffin Communications on clock with Dish now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Disgruntled Tulsa viewer her. Does anyone have any idea how long these local disputes go on? Ive had Dish for 16 years and have NEVER had a network go dark like this one.

We lost channel 8 KTUL on Dish for a week a few years ago and Griffin was acting childish the last time their contract was up. I cant remember if they were dropped that time or not. I don't think it will go more than a week, unless CBS is pressuring them for a really large increase in the kickbacks to the Network. They will be taking a ratings hit in Tulsa this week, with new shows on CBS and CW, and in OKC on CBS. Not to mention people complaining saying they will no longer buy Griffin foods too, that could hurt the Griffin family as much as the loss hurts the Communications Group.

My sister is getting mad as they upgraded to Hoppers last summer and no longer have OTA modules. CW and CBS are the 2 nets they watch the most.

We lost channel 8 KTUL on Dish for a week a few years ago and Griffin was acting childish the last time their contract was up. I cant remember if they were dropped that time or not. I don't think it will go more than a week, unless CBS is pressuring them for a really large increase in the kickbacks to the Network. They will be taking a ratings hit in Tulsa this week, with new shows on CBS and CW, and in OKC on CBS. Not to mention people complaining saying they will no longer buy Griffin foods too, that could hurt the Griffin family as much as the loss hurts the Communications Group.

My sister is getting mad as they upgraded to Hoppers last summer and no longer have OTA modules. CW and CBS are the 2 nets they watch the most.
Griffin didnt go dark 2 years ago but they were still running that stupid crawl past the contract deadline so it was really down to the last minute...

guessing KSBI might be a sticking point, since Griffin took it over recently and according to this post from a Melissa Ordonez at Dish, Griffin hasn't even asked about KOTV and KWTV renewal yet, still stuck up on something else, which would be either KSBI or KQCW unless they are trying to get some subchannnels added

guessing KSBI might be a sticking point, since Griffin took it over recently and according to this post from a Melissa Ordonez at Dish, Griffin hasn't even asked about KOTV and KWTV renewal yet, still stuck up on something else, which would be either KSBI or KQCW unless they are trying to get some subchannnels added

Knew it...They bought KSBI now they want the providers to foot the bill...Scumbags.

Reactions: soaphauler
http://www.edmondsun.com/news/dish-...cle_b26db1a8-9df7-11e4-8809-5bee83ec0725.html

Viewers will always be able to receive News 9, News On 6, Tulsa CW and KSBI programming using an antenna – free of charge. Viewers will also be able to stream local broadcasts live at news9.com ornewson6.com. For more information, please visit http://keepnews9.com/ or http://keepnewson6.com

So if all of this is free of charge and available free on their website, what's their excuse for holding the channels hostage and charging for it

Reactions: Tampa8
[QUOTE="
So if all of this is free of charge and available free on their website, what's their excuse for holding the channels hostage and charging for it[/QUOTE]

Unless the customer lives far enough away that they can't get OTA. It would be a problem for me, only NBC can be OTA where I live.

Reactions: soaphauler
[QUOTE="
So if all of this is free of charge and available free on their website, what's their excuse for holding the channels hostage and charging for it

Unless the customer lives far enough away that they can't get OTA. It would be a problem for me, only NBC can be OTA where I live.[/QUOTE]

That's my point. If they are claiming you as part of their viewing area, but are not getting a signal to you any other way than via Dish or DirecTV, then they should be paying Dish and DirecTV for doing their job for them, not the other way around.

My "excuse" is the MVPD's are making money off carrying the channels and if they are making money, the station owners want a cut of it. And yes, the networks are asking for a cut of retrans fees (on top of what affiliates pay just to be an affiliate).

I personally could support not charging for people that are legitimately out of OTA range, although those WITHIN OTA range SHOULD be charged. I can't seem to get any support for that though.

That's my point. If they are claiming you as part of their viewing area, but are not getting a signal to you any other way than via Dish or DirecTV, then they should be paying Dish and DirecTV for doing their job for them, not the other way around.

And that Ladies and Gentleman is all you need to know about these disputes and why the system is broken regarding the locals.

Reactions: ChadT41 and osu1991
My "excuse" is the MVPD's are making money off carrying the channels and if they are making money, the station owners want a cut of it. And yes, the networks are asking for a cut of retrans fees (on top of what affiliates pay just to be an affiliate).

I personally could support not charging for people that are legitimately out of OTA range, although those WITHIN OTA range SHOULD be charged. I can't seem to get any support for that though.

The affiliates are making money too, by being carried. Their ad numbers would be a lot less if they didn't have viewers from the MVPD's

I would contact David myself, but he is in a network of friends, of which some tried to sue and put me out of business, after they bought the old company I helped to start. So they are not at the top of my contact list.

This is all about carriage for KSBI and CBS's kickback of the retransmission fee for KOTV and KWTV.

The affiliates are making money too, by being carried. Their ad numbers would be a lot less if they didn't have viewers from the MVPD's
So? I never said the affiliates didn't benefit from the coverage. But don't kid yourself... MVPDs need the locals as much as the locals need them. I agree locals can ask for too much money. I don't know if that's the case here or not.

So? I never said the affiliates didn't benefit from the coverage. But don't kid yourself... MVPDs need the locals as much as the locals need them. I agree locals can ask for too much money. I don't know if that's the case here or not.

I don't think they need the locals as much anymore. Network programming is available online and the affiliates are putting their newscasts and weather online with live streaming, I think the MVPD's can and will begin dropping the locals without much fuss in the coming years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)