Tuner 1 / Tuner 2 HD quality difference, why?

PrinceLeo27

Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Arizona
Has anyone else noticed the HD picture and sound quality is different on Tuner 1 than tuner 2. Or is it TV1 and Tv2? Tuner 1 looks much more HD and clearer than Tuner 2. The sound on Tuner 1 is also much louder with more bass. To test this, change to a specific channel, and then use the "swap" button on the remote to change to the exact same channel on the other tuner. Use the "swap" button to switch between tuner 1 and tuner 2 to notice the difference in picture and sound quality on the same show. If you do this on one of the Serius music channels you will notice a dramatic difference in the sound volume and quality.
So, then when recording shows. I can record the same show say on tuner1, or tv1. Stop the recording and then get the same show to finish recording on tuner 2, or tv 2. Then when I go to"my recordings" and play back the 2 different recordings of the same show on the 2 different tuners (tv1 and then tv2) I can still see and hear the difference between the 2 recordings. You can hit the "DVR" button twice on the remote and scroll up for the recording history to see which show recorded on which tuner/tv 1 or 2.

Can anyone figure out why this is happening? I am always trying to get my most favorite shows to record on tv/tuner 1 instead of 2 because of the better quality and it is really beginning to frusterate me.

How can this be resolved to get the same quality on both tuners?

Please Help! I have even bought a signal booster to put it on the cable going into tuner 2 in the back and it makes no difference.

I just did a dish mover install and asked the tech this question during the install and he said Tuner 1 is in HD and Tuner 2 is in SD. That's why the quality is better in TV1 than TV2 when watching in "Live" mode and swapping between the tuners, but when it records, it records in HD on both tuners so when I play back the recordings they will be the HD version not matter if it records on TV1 or 2.

But I have been testing this and like i said, when playing back the recordings, there is still the difference.

Thanks for any input.

OK, now doing more testing....

If I am watching live tv (serius music channel) and using the swapping method I choose the louder tuner.......
if while on that tuner I go to my recordings and play back any recording, I get the louder more hd quality version playing back.
If i start out in live mode on the quieter tuner, and go to "my recordings" and play back a recording, it is in the quiter less HD quality mode.

So, how do I know which tuner I'm originally on in live mode if it "always" says TV1 in the right corner on the top banner display?

I guess I always have to initiate playback of my recordings while in the "live tv mode" of Tuner1/TV1 to watch my recorded shows in the better HD quality and sound.

So now my question is, how do I know which TV/Tuner I am on in "live tv mode" without having to do the swapping tuner test while listening to Serius music to notice the sound volume difference so then when I play back a recorded show, I get the best HD picture quality????

Hope this all makes sense to you guys and you can help me out in any way as I have wasted hours the last few months trying to figure this out.

Thanks so very much! :)

Last edited:
My uncle had a 522 that had DD 5.1 from one tuner, but the other tuner did not have DD 5.1 and only 2 channel stereo. When I posted this problem, nobody had the same problem. So, I understand that sometimes something funky can be going on with one box.

So, this may be just your box. If others can't confirm this problem, I guess you can RMA it.

Good luck.

i don't see any difference visually with my 922 and i know this isn't the most technical way to check the audio but i downloaded a decibal meter app for my iphone and did not notice a difference in the audio level between tuners. you may just have a bad box with one good tuner and one bad. things break and sometimes are poorly made. i'd get dish to swap you out a box. sorry to hear you are having trouble.

Guess I need OTA setup

no replacment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)