Tuner and demodulator chip models comparison

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which DVB-S2 tuner/demodulator tech solution is better?

• Any Conexant solution will do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Support subject

I have to say that at the moment TT support is not great at all.
As to support issue you mentioned, its not that better here either. In contrast with larger international corps, sat product importers either don't provide support, or its unqualified. There are rare exceptions though. Support usually comes from forums like this one, where experienced users and often manufacturer's or importer's staff provide support undisclosed to the benefit of many. That's cheaper and less problematic legally. Based on my experience, support from German card makers is primitive at best, as well as their web sites content. Prof and DVB World offer somewhat better support to the end user, and have more informative websites. Product Manuals and Help files should be enough for the beginner. Basically, many e-mail requests for sat card support are in fact reports of hardware and software issues, hence there isn't much for the company to say other than they're are working to improve or that the user is doing something wrong (if they don't work to improve). I found DVB World has made notable progress in actually improving their software and even hardware to meet users requests instead of just denials. When it comes to overall sat system setup, no manufacturer can or be willing provide better support than a forum like SatelliteGuys. Detail reports are posted on sponsored by product importers sites on how users can mod their receivers to eliminate failures (and decrease flow of warranty claims).

What do you need support for after all your research? ;) Would it be faster just search forums to get an answer, as most such problems are prone to keep popping up?

Last edited:
That's why I ask you to present a TT card review posted by a reputable source, which usually publishes this kind of reviews for a variety of similar products over long time frame and stays behind its own reputation, like a PC Mag. Its next to impossible to find such review in NA, but German press would definitely pay attention to their own manufacturer's products given huge local popularity of Sat TV. May be you want to present a review of another more popular card? Don't be shy. :up

I am only aware of a handful of FTA rags, but the ones I have come across are largely cheerleaders for the manufacturers. This is hardly surprising or unique to this domain. Without a substantial subscription base to pay for the lights, reviewers are normally beholden to the vendors for at least product to review, and in many cases advertising revenue.

High-end audio in NA quickly comes to mind as an obvious case in point. Performing a quick storefront census, I see in every city and country I travel to a good selection of high-end audio/video saloons, but even in the Far East and Europe, only a smattering of FTA-style retailers. The obvious conclusion is people spend more money on high-end audio/video than FTA. Nevertheless it is next to impossible to find a publication that reads much differently than a comic book. There are obvious biases and unprofessional methodologies. Even the ones that appear to have staff capable of attaching a scope probe wander through curious conniptions to justify in technical terms what the 'golden ears' claim to be hearing. They always seem to find something nice to say about a product and rarely hammer the manufacturer for 'gold-plating' or shoddy construction.

Professional reviews are a pipe dream in most domains and FTA is no exception. When I find one, I normally start by questioning its veracity because that is normally required. Instead I am led towards integrating the experiences of a number of qualified users where one can form useful assessments.

I'm not sure either that people you mentioned as my buddies don't know what they're talking about. Its a well known fact that cheap voltage multipliers used in many consumer sat PC Cards often cause constant headache in sensitive signal reception.

Link please to the well known fact?

I at least put my cards on the table and presented direct measurements that allow anyone to interpret the results for themselves. They can also be readily duplicated by others with access to the proper equipment. On the other hand, the claims I have read on this subject show a lack of understanding of any form of the scientific method, controls or even a methodology that establishes cause and effect. There is often an immense amount of detail on the processes of effecting circuit board modifications with at best a cursory description of the test process. SQ results (why not real CNRs?) are then provided from tests done hours or days apart (enough said on that). No attempt is made to isolate other possible variables.

My switch setup provides power to motors, switches and LNBs from non-receiver sources for reasons that have nothing to do with reception conditions. When I read the reports of this issue for the first time, I was skeptical. But I had a 100' cable lying around, so I pulled it from one of my dishes to my 'lab' and went about directly connecting it to a Prof 7500 and 7301 and then substituting a power inserter with an outboard supply. The spectrum analyzer off a splitter showed the same thing the Prof tuners were reporting on Windows: no difference. While I went on to try some more complex tests with switches, I found it striking that such a simple test seems to be completely lacking in these forums. The phenomenon of people attacking problems with the tools they have, right or wrong, is widespread in the technical world and in this specific case is sometimes referred to as the "solder jerks".

Its obvious, any such tests as the above presented may be subject to some setup variations, changing circumstantial biases, mood, unaware or less qualified user opinion manipulation, and such. Just looked through previous forum posts on this matter, and here we go ;):

I publish my results as I find them and try to be honest about how equipment performs, even if it hurts that I may have bought a pig-in-a-poke. I find it interesting you spent three of four quotes of me relating to a single incident testing Prof vs. DVB World tuners when my roof-mounted dishes were being buffeted by winds higher than they had ever previously experienced. I wasn't happy to see that my older DVB World tuners beat the Profs hands down, but I reported it nevertheless. However I did speculate at the time this could be something as simple as an AGC setting in the driver, which appears now to be the case.

What you failed to provide was the balanced perspective, because I have reported both the good and the bad when it comes to the Prof and DVB World tuners. I still use all four of each. It's easy to take a series of quotes out of context and present them in a manner which leads to unintended or incorrect conclusions. You have been guilty of this in the past:

RG59 has electrical ‘voltage drop per foot’ to a direct current 0.06 V.

RG6 has electrical ‘voltage drop per foot’ to a direct current 0.04 V. (see the characteristics of the cables)

Voltage drop depends on resistance of the cable. Encyclopedia of Physics states that resistanceof a long cylinder or wire is given by:

R=?× L/A,

where L is a length; A is a cross section area or diameter; ? – resistivity of the material.( Ohm/meter)

That is determines maximum length of cable between LNB and receiver (power source in that case) 125 feet.

125 feet × 0.04V/foot = 5 volts. (difference between 13V and 18V)

Technically since everything has a tolerance so that LNB seems to switch to the Left hand polarization even with lower voltage."[/I]

Question:

One question seems obvious from the above calculation is that if one's coax cable length exceeds 100 - 125 ft, he would need to use a powered switch to supply stabilized power to the LNBs independently of the receiver. The switch itself would need to be located no further than 100 ft from both the receiver and each LNB.

In Germany we are used to have very good support from the manufacturers we buy products from and this works as a general rule around here. For two years every manufacturer should offer support of any kind for its customers. When a marketed products isn't good supported it doesn't have a long life here. TT's support was bad and that's why it was sanctioned. My friend with the old 3200 told me he wanted some help with the remote control and all he got was a huge phone bill for calls to the "TT support center" Their level 3 support office was located in Poland and it sucked because they kept asking him whether he had batteries installed in that remote control.:down If it wouldn't had been saved by Kathrein well...... you know what it would have happened.
I have some colleagues at the office that said that are interested into the new Technotrend products. I've seen as well in dvbshop24 forum that dvbshop have good sales at the moment with TT, but I think they have a even better sales with the Tevii 470 card. ( if I'm not mistaken it is OEM prod by DVBWorld or?)
At the moment I am not aware of any good TT-1600 review on Stiftung Warentest or any other official good testers. Anyway like I said I'll look into and share everything I find of interest.

Mohaator

Some Tevii cards are designed and made by TBS Tech and some by DVB World in CN, but firmware is customized and further detailed by Tevii. This one seems to be OEM TBS made. These are all of the same old school sat guys in charge of all 3 companies. DVB World boss seems well-versted in software and hardware development and own branding, TBS has larger OEM base but weaker own brand sales, and Tevii is quite good in marketing and software refinement for own label cards. There are always exceptions to any rule, as you know. You can find by the card mac address on the web, who is the manufacturer. MAC is 00-BD-18-XX-XX-XX for DVB World OEM products. They said to supply OEM cards to Acorp, Nextrom, PBI, SatStar2, Terratec, Tevii...

You are right, Remotes are often less covered, and every time I take an STB Remote, I want to reprogram it better. That's why I prefer to use 3d party Macro capable Programmable Learning Remotes. But they don't drive an STB along the straight line, only sequentially one step at a time.

I take it you're in no mood to present TT Budget S2-1600 Review? It is made with 0903 demod in its heart, and is quite compelling card. ;)

Last edited:
Pendragon

I don't see anything taken out of context, and no conclusions were drawn except that we don't know exactly what motivates people to do or write different things at different times. You say to be motivated by the pleasure of discovery only? How do you plea? :)

Last edited:
I don't see anything taken out of context, and no conclusions were drawn except that we don't know exactly what motivates people to do or write different things at different times. You say to be motivated by the pleasure of discovery only? How do you plea? :)

I didn't see your original point and it's not getting any clearer.

Regardless I don't write different things like this because of my moods. The Prof 7301 & 7500 Windows driver has an AGC setting that is susceptible to LOS on rapid fades compared to that of the DVB World 2104. The Prof 7301 & 7500 demod is able to lock significantly lower CNR signals than previous generation tuners. Both the Prof 7301 and 7500 will blindscan on Linux. The noise spectrum from the Prof 7500 is significantly lower when loaded by a LNB than the DVB World 2104. I didn't know any of these before I studied them, but they are factual and may assist others in making purchase choices or getting the most out of what they have. Would I make you feel more comfortable if I were a fan boy and omitted anything that made any of my equipment choices look bad?

Pendragon

There are at least 2 ways to treat problems:
- deny it exists
- remedy

I suggest you to study Prof 7300 business case more carefully. If you feel, Prof 7301 power or other circuitry noise level affects reception and needs to be decreased, it makes sense to draw serious company attention to this matter, until 7301 model went down the drain following 7300 before even being introduced to the NA market. If you feel opposite, still study 7300 case before further arguing the issue. I'm done on this.

Now, it would be nice to do the same thing for new DVB World cards, and work with the manufacturer to remedy related issues, if any, or at least share the results on this forum for better or for worse.

Zamar - I'm even more bewildered. I took issue with the proposition that there was a power supply noise problem with the Prof tuners. Instead of fostering an unsupported rumor or flaming it as is common on the Internet, I went ahead and gathered hard evidence that essentially debunked it, and presented the data for critique. Along the way I found further data indicating a well-respected DVB World tuner actually generates more spurious noise. But the bottom line was that I was unable to find any evidence that EITHER tuner injects enough broadband noise or spurs to affect FTA reception in a material way. This is not denial, but the triumph of science over voodoo and magic.

Anyone who believes the data I presented shows otherwise or has convincing data to the contrary is welcome to submit it so it can be considered. The scientific process invites peer review, and merely because I present data that indicate hypothesis A is true does not make it so.

So I am not advocating denial or remedial action, because I believe no problem has been established, and actually quite the contrary.

1. Could Prof or DVB World modify their circuits to inject less noise? YES!

2. Would it improve reception? Highly unlikely, except possibly in combination with other FTA components suffering from truly serious design gaffes.

3. Would modifying the tuners allow a broader range of low cost components to perform better? Only in peculiar and pathological cases.

4. Is it economically viable to modify these tuners? NO! With virtually no foreseeable benefits, there is zero ROI.

If I was engineering a tuner circuit, I would certainly look to control the spurs and noise floor to the maximum extent possible. However once these had been reduced to the point of diminishing returns, there would be no incentive to increase the cost of the circuit to achieve meaninglessly low numbers. Sometimes these numbers can still be improved at no cost, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with 'gold-plated' solutions, because they often disrupt critical design priorities to focus on lesser problems the engineer prefers to solve. Missing the forest for the trees is a common problem in electronic circuits. Did Prof and DVB World follow my above plan? Possibly, because I take no particular issue with the performance they have achieved.

On the other hand if I come across a major design flaw that did impact signal performance, I would first try to get the vendor to address it, and failing that publish the problem as a warning to consumers. In the tight margins of PC tuners, I rather doubt such a discovery would cause an abrupt withdrawal of product and subsequent re-engineering. However it might help improve the next generation.

dvbworld pcie2006hd ordered. ill wait till the prof cards have decent linux drivers then order one of them. the tbs6920 i have now is only giving me grief so ill wait until i get replacement to comment on it further. then i think i should send the dvbworld card to pendragon to test proper. i like your methods pendragon and i dont have an SA. maybe some nice person wants to sell me one for a decent amount. i cant justify the thousands they cost when i could test tons of hardware as a user rather than a lab tech for that expense.

crackt out,.

Mohaator

Your previous problems with sat cards may be caused by unprofessional reception system setup. I suggest you to look through this thread:

Splitters, diplexers, power inserters, tap couplers, attenuators, in-line amps

It is quite interesting by itself, but also contains links to some other threads on this forum explaining how to improve your reception and signal distribution system outcome. Pendragon is a big proponent of perfect systems, so look through his posts with a search feature, though it may not be easy. Or you can share with us your setup details, and the solution will come.

Of course, all this in exchange of TT S2-1600 review. Its on you. :)

I had the new STV0903 demodulator inside my previous Sharp tuner in my IPBOX 9000HD and it gave a dramatic improvement in SNR compared to the old tuner from Sharp with CX24116 inside.

Has anyone tested the Broadcom demodulator used in DM8000s and the new Vu+ Duo Linux boxes?

I want to clarify for the forum moderators and visitors.

We refused to zamar23 in the exclusive distribution of products PTG in the United States and Canada. The reasons are not important for this technical forum.

It is important that, evidently, zamar23 offended. And I now see that he wrote a lot of negative and misleading information about our products Prof, our STM chips, etc.

Thank you Pendragon for the fact that you calmly accept attacks zamar23. Thank you for what you're trying to explain technical things to people who do not understand how DVB-S/S2 cards work.

P.S.
I have already decided that I will not deal with nonsense. I will not enter into a discussion on meaningless issues. I will not try to destroy the myths and fantastic tales about our and competing products.

P.P.S.
Pendragon also thank you for the work on a review of Prof-7301. I think that the review could be discussed at this forum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)