Tuner Failed - Signal Loss

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

aeneas01

Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
equipment: hd-h20-100, b-band converter, au9s slimlime dish

out of the blue i lost my sat signal which had previously been extremely strong (95-100 on most transponders). running a system test resulted in a message that the receiver/tuner failed. i happened to have my old receiver on hand which i used to test the cable line in an effort to rule out problems with my new receiver. the old receiver failed the test as well - the system test was the same: receiver/tuner failure.

i was reluctant to mess with the dish positioning, especially considering that the level bubble on the mast still showed a perfect plumb. directv told me that it would be more than a week before they could send someone out - in the meantime i checked out my signal each day hoping that the problem would resolve itself. and, low and behold, about five days later it did! perfect reception once again despite not doing anything to the system. but now, after about a month, the signal has disappeared again and the system test is once again showing receiver/tuner failure.

no bad weather, no excessie winds, no overcast skies. so what's the problem? is this an issue that others have had? do i need to run a new cable? perhaps insert an inline signal booster? or could it be that i have a short ot other problem with the lnbs on the dish? all connections appear secure!

any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are able to, check any connector for corrosion, water or unset stingers (stinger should be about 1/8" out from the conector. A 7/16 wrench will work. You could have damage in a cable under the house as well. Mice and Cats love to chew on them. Also check that none of the lines are crimped, bends should be smooth and definitely not folded.

Do you have easy access to the other three lines from the dish?
Try one of those.

It is also possible that the B-Band Converter has failed.

It is also possible that the B-Band Converter has failed.
Unless it shorted, it is unlikely that a BBC failure would take out the whole shebang.

It would make sense to temporarily remove it as a test.

I'd be leaning towards a failed LNB assembly.

I have a similar problem with a H21 and AT9 (sidecar) dish. Only a few channels received. When tuning to one local channel, system reports a multi switch failure. Swapping the BBC with my H20 does not resolve the problem. My R15 does not report any problems. D* has scheduled a service call for 10/25 (called on 10/3 - they're real busy I guess). CSR was nice, even credited my account for the cost of the service call! We will see what they find, but I expect a cable or dish related problem (LNB or multi switch).

Some of the H20-100 are being recalled for failures. Next time you talk to them have them check to see if your H20 is on the recall list.

This could really be a failed tuner.

I have a similar problem with a H21 and AT9 (sidecar) dish. Only a few channels received. When tuning to one local channel, system reports a multi switch failure. Swapping the BBC with my H20 does not resolve the problem. My R15 does not report any problems. D* has scheduled a service call for 10/25 (called on 10/3 - they're real busy I guess). CSR was nice, even credited my account for the cost of the service call! We will see what they find, but I expect a cable or dish related problem (LNB or multi switch).

Tech just left, outside cable connections corroded, one center wire pretty much gone. He replaced connectors and block. Everything seems to be working fine now. As a side benefit, the tech even found a remote code that works for the Trutech tv we have in this room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)