Tuning Satmex6 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvkijker

Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
pa
Having problems getting tuned in to satmex6. Trying to get bvntv. I am getting a good quality signal 78-83 on x2 receiver.

Have a globecast [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Channel Master 36"x27" Elliptical Satellite dish [/FONT]
Used a analog signal meter along with a compass and dishpointer to setup the dish. have clear view no obstructions. I am however getting a good quality signal even when I change to other satelites the signal stays high but nothing on quality. Also the same when I hooked up a different receiver box.

I remember that before they switched bvn tv I lost signal sometimes and got a frozen screen.

Could it be that my lnb is bad?

Thanks,
Eric

0 Quality means you're not tuned to the satellite yet. The signal level can mostly be ignored. It usually just means the LNB is working (which is good news!) I have had a bad LNB or one turn faulty because of literal bugs inside it, but that's usually the last thing to go bad. Instead, check your cabling and connections first. If you remember where BVN used to be, try going back and scan for the Pentagon Channel which is still up on that satellite. Then you can be sure everything is ok. To me, it sounds like you're just missing satmex 6 :)

Has the X2 been set on an active transponder for the SatMex satellite. The correct LNB LO been selected for the satellite?

It is possible that an LNB shows level, but no quality reading if defective. This is unlikely. Does the analog meter show level changes with dish movement? If so, the LNB is probably good.

Thanks for the advice

satmex
freq 12080 H
symbol 25635

The signal meter responded to movement of the dish. How critical is the skew on the dish?
I can rotate the dish and I have. Also there are nr on the LNB itself I din't change the angle on the LNB on the end of the support arm.
Should I start with the lnb and the arm at the bottom? The skew should be 34.5 according to dishpointer.
Should I add 90 to that to correspond with the nr on the back of the dish?
I moved the dish to new location won't be easy to tune back to the previous dish.
Also to check quality reading signal on the receiver should I put it in automatic mode, manual?

A photo is worth a thousand words... Possible to post a few photos showing the dish, rear mount, scale and LNBF?

The skew setting is critical. Is the 34.5 skew positive or negative?

You would only rotate one or the other, not both. I would set the LNBF skew to zero and rotate the dish skew rather than the LNBF.

Depending on how the scale is marked on the back of the dish, the scale may be at 90 or 0 degrees when no skew. If the scale has 90 degrees at the top, subtract the 34.5 from 90 and rotate counter clockwise for negative skew (standing behind dish) or clockwise if positive skew.

Ok I am still not getting quality signal on satmex 6 after trying for hours.
I am however getting singnal (83) and quality signal (53) on echostar 11.
ALso able to get stations on this satelite.
When I move the dish just a little and I change the skew and tilting a little I still don't seem to get quality signal on satmex 6 whatever I do!
Could it be that if the LNB on the end of the arm is a little of that this causes it. Do I need to move the LNB on the arm?
Would I get quality signal without changing elevation and/ or LNB setting?

satmex 6 settings:
elevation 29.9
Azimuth 240.2
LNB 34.5

echostar 11 settings
elevation 31.7
Azimuth 239
LNB 32.5

Since you say, and if you are, getting echostar 11 transponders you may just have the wrong LNBF(??)
Echo-11 uses circular polarity. (R&L) FTA is Linear. (H&V)
You want Standard - Linear, 10750 L.O.
Or Universal - 9750 - 10600 L.O.
A photo is worth a thousand words... Possible to post a few photos showing the dish, rear mount, scale and LNBF?
What's the LNBF model? Anything on a label on it??

Nothing written on the LNB but used it to receive BVN tv before.
Maybe it was different satelite but it was on 110 W
Can't seem to tune on 113 satmex 6?

photo 5(2).JPGphoto 1(3).JPGphoto 2(3).JPGphoto 3(3).JPGphoto 4(2).JPG

Do you remember where it was pointing before for BVN? I was wondering if you still had it marked, try moving it back and see if you can get the Pentagon Channel and tell us what the frequency readouts are. Like Titanium, I'm wondering if the L.O. setting has been altered.

Had to move the satelite from the roof because didn't have good line of sight for the satmex satelite will try to tune to this satelite and see if I get signal.
HAve satmex setting 12080 horizontal

Maybe you won't have to take my advice LOL... What would be great is if you could just slightly move it to Satmex 6 from your current position and get BVN :) The problem is, it's hard to verify the type of LNBF and the L.O. setting you are using. Do you recall the last time you watched BVN on 101W if the parameters were: 12119 V 30000 or were they completely different?

Could also be a single polarity NJR LNB. (it's really an 'unknown' now) On 101 i'm pretty sure it was vertical (ok, Northgeorgia confirmed that.) On SatMex it is horizontal. So may have to twist the LNB 90°.

Aiming: Make only small, stepped, adjustments when panning the dish E & W of where the satellite is 'supposed' to be. The receiver may take 10 seconds to 'lock' on to the signal. If no Q is attained, raise or lower the dish 1/2° and repeat.

Had to move the satelite from the roof because didn't have good line of sight for the satmex satelite will try to tune to this satelite and see if I get signal.
HAve satmex setting 12080 horizontal
Seems that your dish is not pointed to Satmex 113 W.
Members' advice to catch program (Pentagon, 101 W) is a good one.
From your co-ordinates can be concluded that you are in Shamokin or Mount Carmel area.
Raise your dish elevation to 36.6, turn to azimuth 214.8 (true) or, magnetic 226.4, skew 25.6 and tune to Pentagon.
After maxing S/Q, mark a short vertical line on your mast (J-pipe) and dish's bracket, this will be your reference point.
Next, turn the dish West, until the distance between markings will be exactly 5 mm - now, you are on Satmex azimuth.
Lower dish elevation to 30 degree, and now the dish should be pointed exactly to Satmex. Turn LNB skew to 35 degree.
Good luck in "differential" pointing. Cheers, polgyver
Since you skew all dish, keep LNB at 0

Last edited:
Echo 11 @ 110W is a very strong DBS satellite. I would be surprised if you didn't see it. As strong as that satellite is, SatMex is that much weaker :( . It is very possible the Globecast Dish you are using is not good enough for BVN reception. That dish was used on 97W, a strong signal. Try a different transponder on SatMex. Go for "Hope Channel" 11994 V 4340 This should be easier to find, but not much. And when all else fails, I suggest you start at the beginning and make sure that mast is plumb, perfectly vertical. This is crucial when working with weak signals.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts