Tunning tv channels from Taiwan & Hong Kong

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chemist916

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 30, 2014
Lima, Peru
Howdy. I am residing in Peru and i was wondering what specs or equipment is required to getting tv channels from Taiwan and Hong Kong. Would x2 sat premium receiver plus a decent 1 meter antenna would suffice or is there anything more that i need?.

The channels im interested on pulling in are Taiwan's CTS, TVBS, TTV, according to lyngsat located on ST 2 88e and Hong Kong's ATV Home, TV Jade, on Telstar 18, 138e.

Any suggestion, hint or whatsoever would be kindly accepted. :helpsign:

Those satellites are located above Asia. So their signals won't get to you in Peru.
Their 'footprint' must cover your area. You'll need to look for satellites 'in your sky' with the footprint covering your area.
http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html is the satellites 'over here'
Check satellite footprints at www.satbeams.com/footprints
Don't know of a website that accurately lists the channels available for your area.
:welcome to Satelliteguys

Last edited:
Welcome to satelliteguys.

You can browse lyngsat for those channels, and see if any satellites carrying them cover your area.

For example, in North America Galaxy 3C 95w carries a CCTV mux, another channel from Taiwan, Phoenix from Hong Kong I think, and those are FTA channels, it also has ATV but it´s encrypted.

Hopefully you can find some of the channels you want in a satellite with a south american footprint ;)

In theory, you should be able to get the few Chinese language channels (none that you wanted, though) on Satmex 6 (113W) as it is supposedly on the Ku2 beam as opposed to the North American beam. If that's the case, anything 75 cm or larger (1m is better) should do the job. 95W is, unfortunately, just a North American beam. I don't really know if there are any other Hong Kong or Taiwanese channels, C-band or Ku-band, receivable in Peru.

Nice way to begin

Those satellites are located above Asia. So their signals won't get to you in Peru.
Their 'footprint' must cover your area. You'll need to look for satellites 'in your sky' with the footprint covering your area.
is the satellites 'over here'
Check satellite footprints at
Don't know of a website that accurately lists the channels available for your area.
:welcome to Satelliteguys

Thanks for replying. Although i might been new to the world of FTA i guess i know the basics. Its a pitty that i can't get the signal from any of those satellites. So far reading in other forums (mostly in spanish), they seem to be very active trying to catch up signal from Hispasat/Amazon 3, but i have no desire nor interest on their channels.

If that's not possible what other choices do i have?. From your words i think i'm restricted access to those channels due to geographical reasons. I dont like that.

By the way, thanks for the warm welcome. I preferred joining this forum rather than others because much of the comments i have read here look very well versed, self explanatory and friendlier.

Sorry that i had to delete the URL's you given but the system didn't let me to post a reply with them.

Welcome to satelliteguys.

You can browse lyngsat for those channels, and see if any satellites carrying them cover your area.

For example, in North America Galaxy 3C 95w carries a CCTV mux, another channel from Taiwan, Phoenix from Hong Kong I think, and those are FTA channels, it also has ATV but it´s encrypted.

Hopefully you can find some of the channels you want in a satellite with a south american footprint ;)

I have browsed lyngsat, but the channels are carried by the satellites i mentioned earlier. So i guess i wont see them in Lima city. The satellite you described has channels from mainland China intended for "international broadcast", CCTV4 (international channel), CCTV 9/Espanol/News/America/Documentary/Francais are basically the same. So there is no way i can see their local version CCTV 1 on that satellite, lyngsat lists CCTV 1 on ChinaSat 9 at 92.2e, also you refer to ATV, that channel is not ATV Home, but "World", doesn't have the same programming.

So far the only solution its to search on google for streams of those channels but most of them are very laggy.
Thanks for welcoming me to this forum though.

In theory, you should be able to get the few Chinese language channels (none that you wanted, though) on Satmex 6 (113W) as it is supposedly on the Ku2 beam as opposed to the North American beam. If that's the case, anything 75 cm or larger (1m is better) should do the job. 95W is, unfortunately, just a North American beam. I don't really know if there are any other Hong Kong or Taiwanese channels, C-band or Ku-band, receivable in Peru.

Judging from the preceding answers i got yes i can get some chinese language channels like what the guy from below just said.

But all those, ATV World, ETTV America and CCTV4 don't have the programming i am aiming to. These channels only offer PR shows and news, excluding most of the good stuff, which i believe is only to be seen to locals. I thought C band would offer a better option but it is like the same as what is being offered on Ku band. Being that said, does looking those channels online streaming is the only answer?. :(

Kinda looks that way. Although I'd see if the streams are what you're looking for and not just the international version.

Sometimes more channels on 113W become unencrypted for a week or so. Anyway, here are the free "in the clear" channels on 113W that may interest you:

Phoenix Hong Kong Channel
Macroview Television Taiwan
G & E Television (USA: mix of mainland, Taiwanese, and Hong Kong programming -- could be a good option)

Also two Buddhist channels: Da-Ai and Hwazan

I just went to the Macroview TV website and it confirms reception in Peru on 113W Ku-band: http://web.pts.org.tw/macroview/receive_sa_en.htm

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Chemist916!!

Well I wouldn´t know about the programming, even though I sometimes like to tune in to CCTV 4, MAC TV (Taiwan) and the other channel from Hong Kong.

Anyway, just in case, and as northgeorgia mentioned some of those channels are on Satmex 6 113w Ku, Ku 2 footprint which covers Peru as the map below shows

http://www.satmex.com/content/fleet/satmex6

Kinda looks that way. Although I'd see if the streams are what you're looking for and not just the international version.

Usually international version of most channels offer a crappy programming. Sorry to use that word. But most of it is filled with culture oriented programs, public affairs, and news. Rarely they show their best stuff. Even sports events, like football matches are often pix-elated or censored because they dont have the rights to show them in other countries so, i hope explained myself better.

Because i am new to this forum, i dont know if i am allowed to post links to streams. But i found some "temporary" solutions, if anybody is interested in watching TVB Jade, it has really awesome dramas and morning shows, there is a stream in a website called fengyunzhibo but the stream is really awful and goes on and off is just too unstable.

Sometimes more channels on 113W become unencrypted for a week or so. Anyway, here are the free "in the clear" channels on 113W that may interest you:

Phoenix Hong Kong Channel
Macroview Television Taiwan
G & E Television (USA: mix of mainland, Taiwanese, and Hong Kong programming -- could be a good option)

Also two Buddhist channels: Da-Ai and Hwazan

I just went to the Macroview TV website and it confirms reception in Peru on 113W Ku-band:

I know from your previous answer you're referring to Satmex 6. Yeah basically they have those channels. But, their programming is not very good for the reasons already explained. Anyway thanks. I still can't find an online stream for CTV or CTi that do work. If somebody manages to get those i would be so happy!.

But going back to the original question. Would a X2 premium receiver and a 1 meter antenna suffice for getting that satellite?. Any specs on the LNB?.

Well I wouldn´t know about the programming, even though I sometimes like to tune in to CCTV 4, MAC TV (Taiwan) and the other channel from Hong Kong.

Anyway, just in case, and as northgeorgia mentioned some of those channels are on Satmex 6 113w Ku, Ku 2 footprint which covers Peru as the map below shows

Years ago i used to have CCTV 4 when i was subscribed to a local terrestrial cable service in my country, but their programming is very low quality if you know what i mean. They only show culture oriented documentaries, news, CCP editorials (well its mainland china), traveling shows (a-la TLC), and rarely any high gross movie if cultural significant or if it has won any prizes. The only thing in common that CCTV 4 and their sisters have with CCTV 1 is that they broadcast special events like Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), which by the way it is today or well yesterday depending where are you at.

CCTV listings is on their website you can see the difference between them and it is abysmal. Macroview it is owned by the government in Taiwan, so its hard to get any of the good shows from the other channels. CTV&CTi, CTS and TVBS are the channels that most people want to get. No question they lead the ratings in Taiwan. Examples include a very popular show CTi's ????? roughly translated as Largest Political Party, much like their version of NBC's Saturday Night live, or CTV's ?????? Chinese Million Star, their "American Idol", well known in the west by its predecessor One Million Star which propelled Lin Yu-chun to fame.

All of the CCTV channels are also on C-Band at 58 West (Intelsat 9, formerly known as PAS-9).
It puts out a strong signal across both Americas, and may be stronger than 113, so use it as a backup.
Otherwise I would suggest high speed Internet as a solution for Chinese channels that may not be on North American satellites. If you were to compare a number of the Chinese domestic satellites such as 125 East, there are many channels transmitted. If it's on satellite, channels are pretty good that most channels will be available on the Internet if you know where to look. Choice in programming may trump the sometime instability of the Internet.

All of the CCTV channels are also on C-Band at 58 West (Intelsat 9, formerly known as PAS-9).
It puts out a strong signal across both Americas, and may be stronger than 113, so use it as a backup.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the suggestion. Although CCTV is not from Taiwan but mainland China and their programming even local (CCTV 1) isn't that great either. People in China prefer to watch Hunan TV, Zhejiang TV, or even Japan/Korea television, weird isn't it?.

All those are Telstar 18 and ChinaSat 9, on 138e, 92.2e., so basically i can't watch them.

So far its discrimination due to geographical reasons. :D

Otherwise I would suggest high speed Internet as a solution for Chinese channels that may not be on North American satellites.

Its very paradoxical that internet is getting better day and day, but satellite tv doesn't widen their coverage

If you were to compare a number of the Chinese domestic satellites such as 125 East, there are many channels transmitted. If it's on satellite, channels are pretty good that most channels will be available on the Internet if you know where to look. Choice in programming may trump the sometime instability of the Internet.

ChinaSat6 on 125East has mainland China tv on C band. Excluding the fact that i cannot use C band dish on my location due its size. Still there is the fact where can i get those channels, because there are few streams available and most if not all are off or only show news feeds.

I remember seeing something like JiangsuTV on 121 W before trees covered it up. Not sure how you would rank that programming compared to the others you mentioned, and I'm not sure if it's still there.

I have seen their programming on tvmao and so far looks decent but around the same quality as CCTV 1, morning news, some documentaries, and drama in the afternoon and movies. But i can't tell which version of Jiangsu Tv you're talking, because their international version is almost exact as CCTV 4, no entertainment or movies, but just PR. By the way Jiangsu TV is mainland China's third biggest after CCTV and Hunan. Although none of them cant compete in terms of diversity and entertainment with Taiwan's CTi, CTV or Hong Kong's TVB Jade, TVB Pearl or ATV Home. Anyway its a nice find, i will keep in mind. :)

For internet TV, check out the Roku (www.roku.com), great device. It has offical "channels" and there are independently made private ones (http://www.roku-channels.com/category/roku-private-channels). For example there is Asian Crush (free and pay version) and possibly others. There are pay TV private channels, like from http://5ik.Tv and http://http://tv3q.com, both charge around $13 to 24/mnth though.

I haven't tried Roku. Has anyone had any experience with it?. I have browsed Roku's webpage, but more or less its about the same as what is being offered on Ku/C band satellites on my region. That goes for DishWorld Mandarin, DishWorld Taiwanese and Dishworld Cantonese. The other options you mentioned are more accurate but it uses Roku via private channel. So in one way or another that's what i need to have.

One thing that will be impossible for us to provide advice on are the channels on Roku that you could watch in Peru. Because we're now talking IP streaming instead of satellite footprints, some channels might not be viewable in certain countries. In other words, what many of us can watch successfully on Roku in the U.S. might not be available in Peru.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts