Tunning tv channels from Taiwan & Hong Kong

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I haven't tried Roku. Has anyone had any experience with it?.

Many of us have Rokus, see SatelliteGuys forum: http://www.satelliteguys.us/forums/52-The-Streaming-Video-IPTV-Discussion-Forum, also the Roku forum: http://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=6526b4b01b45e6b0a9f7c0a979ee3f31

As northgeorgia mentioned, any channels that work in US may not in other countries, however 5ik.TV works with iPads, Android devices and your computer. I would contact them and ask if you can access them from Peru. If you already have a computer, you could try it out first then decide if connecting your computer to your TV is good enough or having a dedicated device to stream the channels would be better.

Asked earlier if a 1 meter dish would work. Didn't see a response so here goes. If the frequency is 11000 to 12750, (5 digits) yes. If the frequency is 3700 - 4200 (4 digit) suggest a 10 ft. But down to 6, with decreasing performance, as it gets smaller. Some use a 1m to 1.8m Ku dish getting the strongest transponders. (mini BUD)
The receiver you mention would be OK, unsure how many here are familiar with it, I'm not.

One thing that will be impossible for us to provide advice on are the channels on Roku that you could watch in Peru. Because we're now talking IP streaming instead of satellite footprints, some channels might not be viewable in certain countries. In other words, what many of us can watch successfully on Roku in the U.S. might not be available in Peru.

I didn't know that. I thought all channels on Roku were available regardless the location. It looks that i am cornered in terms of channels diversity. That sucks. Is it possible to bypass that problem using a proxy on internet access that i already have?.

Many of us have Rokus, see SatelliteGuys forum: , also the Roku forum:

As northgeorgia mentioned, any channels that work in US may not in other countries, however 5ik.TV works with iPads, Android devices and your computer. I would contact them and ask if you can access them from Peru. If you already have a computer, you could try it out first then decide if connecting your computer to your TV is good enough or having a dedicated device to stream the channels would be better.

Yeah, it would be nice to read what the Roku guys have to say regarding their coverage in my location. I dont have iPad or Android. This whole thread was about watching those channels on tv. 5ik claim that their service is also for tv through Roku.

Asked earlier if a 1 meter dish would work. Didn't see a response so here goes. If the frequency is 11000 to 12750, (5 digits) yes. If the frequency is 3700 - 4200 (4 digit) suggest a 10 ft. But down to 6, with decreasing performance, as it gets smaller. Some use a 1m to 1.8m Ku dish getting the strongest transponders. (mini BUD)
The receiver you mention would be OK, unsure how many here are familiar with it, I'm not.

Wow! a 10 ft dish for those four digit frequencies?. Where can i get those Ku band antennas?. They dont seem to be available on Amazon.

Would this LNB be a good choice for me?. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089DYOCA/?tag=satell01-20

I have read in this forum, can't remember the post that some people complained X2 fta receiver didn't had a good picture quality. Any suggestions on the receiver?.

The one that's often said on the forum that it's got good video rendition is the Geosatpro microHD. Dish/LNBF/receiver package available from SatelliteAV or the 'bay Many members here have it.
Is the LNBF you mention X2 or Strong brand? I'm unsure. But can say I think Strong is a popular brand in Australia. X2 is more in Europe, from looking thru their forums. Although there are some members, here, that have tried the X2. Maybe there's a review here??
Yeah, A 10ft is the 'normal' for C band. 2° satellite spacing means dishes smaller than 10 may experience adjacent satellite interference. Getting worse as the dish size decreases. (this applies to Ku also, with a 90 cm, being the size that smaller will run into the same interference. Larger, than 10ft for 'C' and 90cm for Ku, offers more signal gathering(gain) so even better weak signal performance. Sometimes wish I had a 16ft BUD.

Attachments

• Farm-fall-13.jpg
    Farm-fall-13.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 122
The one that's often said on the forum that it's got good video rendition is the Geosatpro microHD. Dish/LNBF/receiver package available from SatelliteAV or the 'bay Many members here have it.
Is the LNBF you mention X2 or Strong brand? I'm unsure. But can say I think Strong is a popular brand in Australia. X2 is more in Europe, from looking thru their forums. Although there are some members, here, that have tried the X2. Maybe there's a review here??
Yeah, A 10ft is the 'normal' for C band. 2° satellite spacing means dishes smaller than 10 may experience adjacent satellite interference. Getting worse as the dish size decreases. (this applies to Ku also, with a 90 cm, being the size that smaller will run into the same interference. Larger, than 10ft for 'C' and 90cm for Ku, offers more signal gathering(gain) so even better weak signal performance. Sometimes wish I had a 16ft BUD.

Thanks, i visited Geosatpro's website and looks a solid receiver. The LNBF i mentioned from Amazon is from X2, but not "Strong", i guess they had an error writing the brand. No idea on reviews from X2 products. On their site they list many kinds of LNBF's for Ku band http://x2sat.com/ku-band.html the model from amazon is SR-1000 which is located near the third row of pictures from X2sat page. As i understood from reading on different sources any "noise" value below 0.3 dB is good. So would that be an option for me?. There is also this Winegard 1 meter antenna http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...atellite-dish-with-az/el-pole-mount-(ds-3100), which more or less i can fit it where i live. But i haven't found bigger Ku band antennas listed there, except here http://www.wsidigital.com/180cm-1_8m-1_8-meter-c-band-satellite-dish.htm, but the dish they have has a hole in the center, that being said. Is that an issue for getting signals in the Ku band?. I have seen pictures of BUD's equipped with C and Ku band LNBs simultaneously, http://www.vetrun.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10920 and i find that odd, wouldn't the mesh surface of those antennas lower the reception on Ku band?.

Sorry lots of questions but i got curious because i havent found those answers. Oh, did i forgot to mention it was the Groundhog Day?. Happy Groundhog day then!. :) I read Phil predicted that it will be a long winter. :smow: Sorry guys for those news. Anyway here it isn't that great either its just hot. More than the average for the summer in the southern hemisphere, at least in Lima.

Well I wouldn´t know about the programming, even though I sometimes like to tune in to CCTV 4, MAC TV (Taiwan) and the other channel from Hong Kong.

Anyway, just in case, and as northgeorgia mentioned some of those channels are on Satmex 6 113w Ku, Ku 2 footprint which covers Peru as the map below shows

http://www.satmex.com/content/fleet/satmex6

Sorry for not answering the question on the 1 meter antenna, but I see someone else has provided good comments on that.
Therefore, and just in connection to this satellite, I can see (on satbeams.com) that a 1 meter antenna in Lima is more than enough to get the Ku 2 band, actually it shows that a 65 centimeter antenna will do the job.

from reading on different sources any "noise" value below 0.3 dB is good
Actually, any noise figue below .3db is most likely just advertising hype. Look up the NF of the semiconductor used in the LNB(F) and you'll see that. Unless they test each and every unit to select 'outstanding' units to use. Huh, doubt that! I have a 'soup-can' lnb on the 84e @ 125W and it's was probably rated .7 to .9 or more back when it was made(90's?) and performs very well. Wonder what the 'noise' figure is today???? If 'in to' weak signal hunting, I'd suggest getting a collection of LNBf's and compare them. Some with higher NF ratings may surprise.
but the dish they have has a hole in the center
Offset designs will not have a hole. Prime focus may have a hole, depending on the mechanical design. The hole is of little significance as it's in the shadow created by the LNB(F) scalar.
I have seen pictures of BUD's equipped with C and Ku band LNBs simultaneously
Many do that. But, if the dish is 'consumer grade' the big 10 ft 'Ku rated' dish probably performs no better than a 1 meter offset. The 'consumer grade' C/Ku LNBF's are a trade-off in performance. So degradation of one or the other, or both, bands may be a result. Takes diligent 'tweaking' to get Ku on BUD as the beamwidth is very small, and to minimize the 'trade- off for acceptable performance. To boost performance a Corotor or an orthomode is usually employed. (there are other, not as common, brands other than the links)
My BUD fared worse than a .7 meter CM dish, Too much 'airspace, So I http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/241465-How-I-made-a-C-only-BUD-work-on-KU/page2 (I :) my Channel Master Ku dishes - perform a bit better than 'consumer grade')

i recommend watch NHK HD on C band 58W. They got the best 1080i quality. it carries a lot of asian news.

Sorry for not answering the question on the 1 meter antenna, but I see someone else has provided good comments on that.
Therefore, and just in connection to this satellite, I can see (on satbeams.com) that a 1 meter antenna in Lima is more than enough to get the Ku 2 band, actually it shows that a 65 centimeter antenna will do the job.

Thanks. That would count a vote for a 1 meter antenna.

Actually, any noise figue below .3db is most likely just advertising hype. Look up the NF of the semiconductor used in the LNB(F) and you'll see that. Unless they test each and every unit to select 'outstanding' units to use. Huh, doubt that! I have a 'soup-can' lnb on the 84e @ 125W and it's was probably rated .7 to .9 or more back when it was made(90's?) and performs very well. Wonder what the 'noise' figure is today???? If 'in to' weak signal hunting, I'd suggest getting a collection of LNBf's and compare them. Some with higher NF ratings may surprise.

I had a hunch that such claim could had been like you said just plain advertising. Well, its a common practice on any business to do that. I dont have enough experience on FTA so i will try different models to see how they fare.

Offset designs will not have a hole. Prime focus may have a hole, depending on the mechanical design. The hole is of little significance as it's in the shadow created by the LNB(F) scalar.Many do that. But, if the dish is 'consumer grade' the big 10 ft 'Ku rated' dish probably performs no better than a 1 meter offset. The 'consumer grade' C/Ku LNBF's are a trade-off in performance. So degradation of one or the other, or both, bands may be a result. Takes diligent 'tweaking' to get Ku on BUD as the beamwidth is very small, and to minimize the 'trade- off for acceptable performance. To boost performance a Corotor or an orthomode is usually employed. (there are other, not as common, brands other than the links)
My BUD fared worse than a .7 meter CM dish, Too much 'airspace, So I http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/241465-How-I-made-a-C-only-BUD-work-on-KU/page2 (I :) my Channel Master Ku dishes - perform a bit better than 'consumer grade')

I didn't know that the hole had little significance. But i thought speaking on antennas there was this rule of thumb 'bigger the better', but it looks that's not the case. As i seen on different pictures people attach scalar rings to their C band LNBFs it might be some difficult to accommodate in the same place a Ku band LNBF as well. I didn't know about using a corotor or an orthomode transducer, but from reading about those, it looks a little complicated to install correctly, maybe the literature i found on that stuff was not enough. But i found this guy had problems finding the corotor http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/309968-Help-identify-Corotor-Ku-LNB/page2.

BUD antennas are quite expensive and needs space, but as soon i can find those i will surely try it.

I didn't know that. I thought all channels on Roku were available regardless the location. It looks that i am cornered in terms of channels diversity. That sucks. Is it possible to bypass that problem using a proxy on internet access that i already have?

Check out a VPN :) Just google it you'll fine tons of VPN providers.

i recommend watch NHK HD on C band 58W. They got the best 1080i quality. it carries a lot of asian news.

Thanks for your advice. NHK is a nice channel if it had been the 'local version', but what is offered on 58w is the 'international version', i've seen it before. Has nice news segments but often blurred when they refer to some events due broadcasting rights i.e. Olympics, football matches, etc. BS NHK 1 would had been much better they carry a more diverse programming. Here is the schedule if anybody is interested http://www2.nhk.or.jp/hensei/program/index.cgi?area=001&f=top.

No question they have the best picture quality, their technology is top notch in broadcasting. As a matter of fact they recently donated some equipment and a tv van (i believe used) to my country's national tv (TVPeru) to update their systems, after they did the switch the quality improved notoriously.

you cannot expect too much from the FTA channels. IMO, Intersat21@58W C-band is the best choice.
it got NHK HD, DW-latinoamerica, France-24 english, Korean Arirang, CCTV-4 and others. KU SatMex6 for Taiwan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)